How should this Defender be configured? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 20th, 2016, 02:18 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

How should this Defender be configured?

The mystery... I'm mostly interested in knowing if the "P U" and "P U P" means that this defender should be a pickup with a hard top, soft top or what?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	158001   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	158002  

Name:	untitled-3.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	158003  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2016, 02:25 PM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

One that I've purchased has the same sort of ZA-built plate and same model designation, only place of constructions was Blackheath vice Elsies River. All else is the same. It's a hardtop/3-door.
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Old September 20th, 2016, 02:42 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeloBubba View Post
One that I've purchased has the same sort of ZA-built plate and same model designation, only place of constructions was Blackheath vice Elsies River. All else is the same. It's a hardtop/3-door.
Full hard top or pickup cab top? Do you know what "C/F" is on the smaller plate?

------ Follow up post added September 20th, 2016 12:45 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoRover View Post
Full hard top or pickup cab top? Do you know what "C/F" is on the smaller plate?
Chris, That could actually be, "O/F." I'm assuming when you say three door that you mean a full hard top, but the rear cross member has all of the attachment points for a tailgate that look like they have been used in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Matt_110
Matt

Or it's "C/P" which matches the other plate?
Old September 20th, 2016, 03:28 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_110 View Post
Or it's "C/P" which matches the other plate?
Good eye, well, I went out for further inspection and it's seems to be "C/F." The letters and numbers are just barely raised so it's a little hard to discern. Thanks!
Old September 20th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Matt_110
Matt

Dagnabit. Oh well...good luck! My google search skills failed me on this one
Old September 20th, 2016, 05:17 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
On normal Vin's the 3 door hardtop/softop/pickup is all the same vin code.

Thoughts:
PickUp Petrol
Private Utility Petrol
PolyUrethane Paint
Old September 20th, 2016, 05:45 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
On normal Vin's the 3 door hardtop/softop/pickup is all the same vin code.

Thoughts:
PickUp Petrol
Private Utility Petrol
PolyUrethane Paint
Thanks John! That's what I suspected. How can I tell if it originally had a hard or soft top. I think it's obvious that it originally had a tailgate at least. What are some of the tell tail signs that it used to have a soft top or pickup hard top?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	untitled-4.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	158009  
Old September 20th, 2016, 05:56 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Thanks John! That's what I suspected. How can I tell if it originally had a hard or soft top. I think it's obvious that it originally had a tailgate at least. What are some of the tell tail signs that it used to have a soft top or pickup hard top?
I have no clue about SA spec, but normal series/defenders have full height tailgates. You have the correct latch for the tailgate (left side), but it is about 4" lower than normal, and you have only one of them. It is supposed to be mounted in the middle of those 2 top corner panels that are riveted on. It's hard to explain, I'll post a pic of my 110 to show you.

Your lower hinge does not match any Rover hinge i have seen. If you post a pic of the truck from further away I can tell you if it has any of the soft top fixings on the back. I would guess yours was not a soft top, and probably a pickup (weird hinge and it has the latch for the pickup, and the galvy panel looks replaced on the top.

Edit: see pic for details
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pickup.png
Views:	45
Size:	683.4 KB
ID:	158021  
Old September 20th, 2016, 06:40 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Quote:
I have no clue about SA spec, but normal series/defenders have full height tailgates. You have the correct latch for the tailgate (left side), but it is about 4" lower than normal, and you have only one of them. It is supposed to be mounted in the middle of those 2 top corner panels that are riveted on. It's hard to explain, I'll post a pic of my 110 to show you.

Your lower hinge does not match any Rover hinge i have seen. If you post a pic of the truck from further away I can tell you if it has any of the soft top fixings on the back. I would guess yours was not a soft top, and probably a pickup (weird hinge and it has the latch for the pickup, and the galvy panel looks replaced on the top.

Edit: see pic for details

Okay, so I looked behind the plates and see two symmetrical holes where the tailgate latches that you described should be. You can definitely tell that someone had added the current latch to the left side. I'm also including a picture of the "bulkhead" behind the seats because it shows the spare tire well, where I have added tape to keep the dust out, also where there used to be strips of metal bolted to the length of the bed floor (now tape covering those holes too, and what might be an important clue of a defined line (when the bed liner was sprayed) on the top surface of the bulkhead (on top of the galvanized trim). Either they taped it off in an unusual location or there was something sitting on top of the bulkhead. Can you make any further conclusions from the photos? I can take more, I just need to remove some of the gear first. Your help is much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	untitled-6.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	158024   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-5.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	158025  

Old September 20th, 2016, 06:44 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Of course it's a Santana top and it fits well except around the forward part of the front doors. I don't mind a little gap between the doors and the windscreen because the rest of the top fits great. I'm trying to figure this out because I might want to go back to original, whatever that might be.
Old September 20th, 2016, 06:51 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Of course it's a Santana top and it fits well except around the forward part of the front doors. I don't mind a little gap between the doors and the windscreen because the rest of the top fits great. I'm trying to figure this out because I might want to go back to original, whatever that might be.
I mean, it looks like it was a Pickup Cab, up to you on what to do with it. Yours does not have the rear soft top fixings on it. I love the pickup cab on my 110, it's my favorite configuration (after no roof at all).
Old September 20th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

To tell if you had a soft top you may have to lift the existing hard top up a few inches. Check on the top of the cappings for wear where the soft top stick set would have been.

Also on some early trucks if you don't have sun visiors it was s soft top originally.

But on knock down kit constructed trucks like yours, who knows?
Old September 20th, 2016, 07:05 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Quote:
I mean, it looks like it was a Pickup Cab, up to you on what to do with it. Yours does not have the rear soft top fixings on it. I love the pickup cab on my 110, it's my favorite configuration (after no roof at all).
I kind of like the idea of having a pickup cab as well. I purchased it thinking that I would make an overlander out of it, but still see my Wife and I taking either of our newer Toyotas for the longer trips instead. Would love to see a picture of yours if you don't mind. Thank you and have a nice evening!
Old September 20th, 2016, 07:23 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
I kind of like the idea of having a pickup cab as well. I purchased it thinking that I would make an overlander out of it, but still see my Wife and I taking either of our newer Toyotas for the longer trips instead. Would love to see a picture of yours if you don't mind. Thank you and have a nice evening!
No Problem, I have one shot with the canvas on, and one with the canvas off. Mine is Aus spec, CKD as well, came as a soft top.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	158038   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (2).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	158039  

Old September 20th, 2016, 08:15 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Quote:
No Problem, I have one shot with the canvas on, and one with the canvas off. Mine is Aus spec, CKD as well, came as a soft top.
I really like that setup! And it would be a whole lot easier to go topless since the top would be a lot lighter and take up less room in the garage! I see you also have the rear bench seats as do I. Very nice looking truck! I've seen some of the Aussie trucks with Isuzu diesel engines. Were you fortunate enough to get one of those?
Old September 20th, 2016, 09:50 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
I really like that setup! And it would be a whole lot easier to go topless since the top would be a lot lighter and take up less room in the garage! I see you also have the rear bench seats as do I. Very nice looking truck! I've seen some of the Aussie trucks with Isuzu diesel engines. Were you fortunate enough to get one of those?
Thanks, it's pretty awesome (raked up 20k on it so far this year)! Yeah it has the Isuzu in it, such a good truck. Yeah, it's only like 7-8 bolts to install the pickup cab, I installed it late one night by myself in less than an hour, including soft top removal. $150 in sound deadening on the roof of the pickup cab goes a long way, if you are patient you can get a pickup cab cheap, think there is one for sale in Colorado in the parts section right now (last week).
Old September 20th, 2016, 10:15 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
what size tires are running John ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 21st, 2016, 12:16 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
what size tires are running John ?
255/85's they have been great so far!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags