How should this Defender be configured? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old September 20th, 2016, 02:18 PM
RhinoRover's Avatar
RhinoRover
Status: Offline
Andy
1986 D110
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Palmer Lake, CO USA
Posts: 262
How should this Defender be configured?

The mystery... I'm mostly interested in knowing if the "P U" and "P U P" means that this defender should be a pickup with a hard top, soft top or what?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	158001   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	158002  

Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-3.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	158003  
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old September 20th, 2016, 02:25 PM
HeloBubba's Avatar
HeloBubba
Status: Offline
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fleming Island, FL
Posts: 774
One that I've purchased has the same sort of ZA-built plate and same model designation, only place of constructions was Blackheath vice Elsies River. All else is the same. It's a hardtop/3-door.
__________________
Chris Murphy
'89 D130SW
'86 D110 3-door
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old September 20th, 2016, 02:42 PM
RhinoRover's Avatar
RhinoRover
Status: Offline
Andy
1986 D110
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Palmer Lake, CO USA
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeloBubba View Post
One that I've purchased has the same sort of ZA-built plate and same model designation, only place of constructions was Blackheath vice Elsies River. All else is the same. It's a hardtop/3-door.
Full hard top or pickup cab top? Do you know what "C/F" is on the smaller plate?

------ Follow up post added September 20th, 2016 12:45 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoRover View Post
Full hard top or pickup cab top? Do you know what "C/F" is on the smaller plate?
Chris, That could actually be, "O/F." I'm assuming when you say three door that you mean a full hard top, but the rear cross member has all of the attachment points for a tailgate that look like they have been used in the past.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old September 20th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Matt_110's Avatar
Matt_110
Status: Offline
Matt
110
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 383
Or it's "C/P" which matches the other plate?
__________________
1987 110, 2.8TGV, ZF Auto
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old September 20th, 2016, 03:28 PM
RhinoRover's Avatar
RhinoRover
Status: Offline
Andy
1986 D110
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Palmer Lake, CO USA
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_110 View Post
Or it's "C/P" which matches the other plate?
Good eye, well, I went out for further inspection and it's seems to be "C/F." The letters and numbers are just barely raised so it's a little hard to discern. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old September 20th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Matt_110's Avatar
Matt_110
Status: Offline
Matt
110
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 383
Dagnabit. Oh well...good luck! My google search skills failed me on this one
__________________
1987 110, 2.8TGV, ZF Auto
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old September 20th, 2016, 05:17 PM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Offline
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,282
Registry
On normal Vin's the 3 door hardtop/softop/pickup is all the same vin code.

Thoughts:
PickUp Petrol
Private Utility Petrol
PolyUrethane Paint
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old September 20th, 2016, 05:45 PM
RhinoRover's Avatar
RhinoRover
Status: Offline
Andy
1986 D110
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Palmer Lake, CO USA
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
On normal Vin's the 3 door hardtop/softop/pickup is all the same vin code.

Thoughts:
PickUp Petrol
Private Utility Petrol
PolyUrethane Paint
Thanks John! That's what I suspected. How can I tell if it originally had a hard or soft top. I think it's obvious that it originally had a tailgate at least. What are some of the tell tail signs that it used to have a soft top or pickup hard top?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-4.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	158009  
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old September 20th, 2016, 05:56 PM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Offline
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,282
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoRover View Post
Thanks John! That's what I suspected. How can I tell if it originally had a hard or soft top. I think it's obvious that it originally had a tailgate at least. What are some of the tell tail signs that it used to have a soft top or pickup hard top?
I have no clue about SA spec, but normal series/defenders have full height tailgates. You have the correct latch for the tailgate (left side), but it is about 4" lower than normal, and you have only one of them. It is supposed to be mounted in the middle of those 2 top corner panels that are riveted on. It's hard to explain, I'll post a pic of my 110 to show you.

Your lower hinge does not match any Rover hinge i have seen. If you post a pic of the truck from further away I can tell you if it has any of the soft top fixings on the back. I would guess yours was not a soft top, and probably a pickup (weird hinge and it has the latch for the pickup, and the galvy panel looks replaced on the top.

Edit: see pic for details
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pickup.png
Views:	45
Size:	683.4 KB
ID:	158021  
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old September 20th, 2016, 06:40 PM
RhinoRover's Avatar
RhinoRover
Status: Offline
Andy
1986 D110
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Palmer Lake, CO USA
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
I have no clue about SA spec, but normal series/defenders have full height tailgates. You have the correct latch for the tailgate (left side), but it is about 4" lower than normal, and you have only one of them. It is supposed to be mounted in the middle of those 2 top corner panels that are riveted on. It's hard to explain, I'll post a pic of my 110 to show you.

Your lower hinge does not match any Rover hinge i have seen. If you post a pic of the truck from further away I can tell you if it has any of the soft top fixings on the back. I would guess yours was not a soft top, and probably a pickup (weird hinge and it has the latch for the pickup, and the galvy panel looks replaced on the top.

Edit: see pic for details

Okay, so I looked behind the plates and see two symmetrical holes where the tailgate latches that you described should be. You can definitely tell that someone had added the current latch to the left side. I'm also including a picture of the "bulkhead" behind the seats because it shows the spare tire well, where I have added tape to keep the dust out, also where there used to be strips of metal bolted to the length of the bed floor (now tape covering those holes too, and what might be an important clue of a defined line (when the bed liner was sprayed) on the top surface of the bulkhead (on top of the galvanized trim). Either they taped it off in an unusual location or there was something sitting on top of the bulkhead. Can you make any further conclusions from the photos? I can take more, I just need to remove some of the gear first. Your help is much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-6.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	158024   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-5.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	158025  

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old September 20th, 2016, 06:44 PM
RhinoRover's Avatar
RhinoRover
Status: Offline
Andy
1986 D110
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Palmer Lake, CO USA
Posts: 262
Of course it's a Santana top and it fits well except around the forward part of the front doors. I don't mind a little gap between the doors and the windscreen because the rest of the top fits great. I'm trying to figure this out because I might want to go back to original, whatever that might be.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old September 20th, 2016, 06:51 PM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Offline
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,282
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoRover View Post
Of course it's a Santana top and it fits well except around the forward part of the front doors. I don't mind a little gap between the doors and the windscreen because the rest of the top fits great. I'm trying to figure this out because I might want to go back to original, whatever that might be.
I mean, it looks like it was a Pickup Cab, up to you on what to do with it. Yours does not have the rear soft top fixings on it. I love the pickup cab on my 110, it's my favorite configuration (after no roof at all).
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old September 20th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Naplm00
Status: Offline
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 2,870
To tell if you had a soft top you may have to lift the existing hard top up a few inches. Check on the top of the cappings for wear where the soft top stick set would have been.

Also on some early trucks if you don't have sun visiors it was s soft top originally.

But on knock down kit constructed trucks like yours, who knows?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old September 20th, 2016, 07:05 PM
RhinoRover's Avatar
RhinoRover
Status: Offline
Andy
1986 D110
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Palmer Lake, CO USA
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
I mean, it looks like it was a Pickup Cab, up to you on what to do with it. Yours does not have the rear soft top fixings on it. I love the pickup cab on my 110, it's my favorite configuration (after no roof at all).
I kind of like the idea of having a pickup cab as well. I purchased it thinking that I would make an overlander out of it, but still see my Wife and I taking either of our newer Toyotas for the longer trips instead. Would love to see a picture of yours if you don't mind. Thank you and have a nice evening!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old September 20th, 2016, 07:23 PM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Offline
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,282
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoRover View Post
I kind of like the idea of having a pickup cab as well. I purchased it thinking that I would make an overlander out of it, but still see my Wife and I taking either of our newer Toyotas for the longer trips instead. Would love to see a picture of yours if you don't mind. Thank you and have a nice evening!
No Problem, I have one shot with the canvas on, and one with the canvas off. Mine is Aus spec, CKD as well, came as a soft top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	158038   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (2).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	158039  

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old September 20th, 2016, 08:15 PM
RhinoRover's Avatar
RhinoRover
Status: Offline
Andy
1986 D110
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Palmer Lake, CO USA
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
No Problem, I have one shot with the canvas on, and one with the canvas off. Mine is Aus spec, CKD as well, came as a soft top.
I really like that setup! And it would be a whole lot easier to go topless since the top would be a lot lighter and take up less room in the garage! I see you also have the rear bench seats as do I. Very nice looking truck! I've seen some of the Aussie trucks with Isuzu diesel engines. Were you fortunate enough to get one of those?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old September 20th, 2016, 09:50 PM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Offline
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,282
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoRover View Post
I really like that setup! And it would be a whole lot easier to go topless since the top would be a lot lighter and take up less room in the garage! I see you also have the rear bench seats as do I. Very nice looking truck! I've seen some of the Aussie trucks with Isuzu diesel engines. Were you fortunate enough to get one of those?
Thanks, it's pretty awesome (raked up 20k on it so far this year)! Yeah it has the Isuzu in it, such a good truck. Yeah, it's only like 7-8 bolts to install the pickup cab, I installed it late one night by myself in less than an hour, including soft top removal. $150 in sound deadening on the roof of the pickup cab goes a long way, if you are patient you can get a pickup cab cheap, think there is one for sale in Colorado in the parts section right now (last week).
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old September 20th, 2016, 10:15 PM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,841
Registry
what size tires are running John ?
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old September 21st, 2016, 12:16 PM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Offline
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,282
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
what size tires are running John ?
255/85's they have been great so far!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What should I do to my Defender Yorkie Misc. Chit-Chat 6 June 12th, 2016 02:30 PM
What should a newbie know about owning a Defender? adamclyde Misc. Chit-Chat 15 September 16th, 2014 05:51 PM
Tell me why I should/should not buy a D90 fustogrande Defender Technical Discussions 44 March 2nd, 2006 11:57 AM
Ive got a stock d90 and 500 dollars, what should i get? Platinum992 Wanted 8 October 27th, 2003 10:45 PM
BFG mud terrain 33x12.5x15 what should I pay? artm Wanted 3 October 11th, 2003 01:19 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 AM.


Copyright