How Reliable is a D-90 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 27th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

HA - A "SHOE CLEANER" option! My Defender sometimes has that when it rains, and I never knew the offical name!

Yeah! What other car has that!

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2007, 12:33 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson00
I dropped the RR off for a state inspection - and oil change - at the local shop... the oil change was a last minute idea. What should I be concerned with?
Well I'm still learning myself, so if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone on here will correct me.

It should be in your manual. You're supposed to put the new oil in first before you remove the old oil filter. It's got something to do with the oil pump being primed. Apparently the oil pump is hard to prime and needs oil, so if you totally drain your oil and put on a new filter, it has the potential of not priming and I guess that can be a big ticket repair. Usually at those oil change shops, they want you in and out, I'm not sure what order they do things and I don't want to lecture a guy who's done 20 or so oil changes before I strolled in. For my lease car...do whatever, but not for my Rover. And if you are a 'Sunday do it yourself' kinda guy...you might not want to pull the oil plug, then grab a beer and sit back on the couch to watch the rest of the game.
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I drive my 95 D-90 everyday. It is my only car. I bought it in 1999 with 58,000 miles, and it now has 198,000 miles. I also have owned 2 Jeep Wranglers. Overall I would say the D-90 is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. (knock on wood) Looking back at reciepts I average about $1,500 per year on maintanence/ repairs/ accesories. I have only been stranded twice and that was temporary. Looking back I think I have saved money because before the D-90 I was trading cars every few years becuase the appeal wore off after a few miles. I just took a road trip and my wife had a towel crammed in the gap between the door and the soft top to keep the cold out. You can't have more fun than that..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2007, 04:30 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
A guy named Mitch wrote this on a list years ago about series Rovers and I think as 90's get older it applies here too. I have saved it on my cube wall for years and it always gets a chuckly from the old time Rover drivers.

"Get the price down to where it should be a price that you think is fair. Tell your wife or girlfriend that you will have grease under your finger nails and smell of 90wt. for the rest of your life. You will drink warm beer. Your LR will have a name. You will drive countless hours with a broken speedo to meet guys who do strange things in the real world and occasionally get together to beat the living piss out of their trucks on desolate dirt trails that go nowhere. good luck"
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:00 PM
ttrover
Thomas Taylor
1997/ Defender 90

Buying a Rover

I saw one. I had to have one. I own one. No questions asked.
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:53 AM
wineryrover
Robb
D90, SIII, LR3 & DII

Registry
I have been daily driving mine since '98. 40 mile round trip. Yep, that is over 80,000 commute miles. I also take it out wheeling at least once a month, usually driving a fair distance to where ever it is the group is going. The truck has been solid, but, as everyone else has said, keep up with the maintenance, and yes, it will be more expensive to fix.
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:25 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrover
I saw one. I had to have one. I own one. No questions asked.
Truer words were never spoken.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old February 28th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Actually - you would only go out and buy this truck now, because you love it. It has not been too bad for me in expenses. Everyone has shared stories about ownership. But the fact of the matter is that we all love our trucks. That is why we own them.

I can not seem to let mine go. Sure it is not the most practial thing to keep arround. But I love it. I am an original owner - I never thought I would own it this long - but my wife and I have sold 3 other cars in the time we have had the D90........and right now there are still no plans to sell the D90.

If you want practically - if you are afraid of expenses - buy something under warranty. A new FJ, or a new Jeep. Or buy a Disco and have tons of money left for expensese.

If you want something that will still excite you 10-15 years later..........buy the D90........

Flagg
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:09 PM
foto202
Ed Belisle
Coming Soon- 97 D-90 SW

I don't mind spending money on preventive maintence. I also don't mind spending money on goodies as well. I hope to go see the one I want to buy tomorrow. I will post pics when I get back.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d-90