Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 24th, 2007, 04:58 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
How much faith..

Do you have in your Defenders? Mine has only ever put me down twice, both times were in the driveway. When yall get in your Defenders do you have no worries or is there always that feeling in the back of your mind that something might happen? I am going to set out for close too a thousand miles next week and have done my usual inspection so I am not that worried. naturally the clutch is being a little funky and the OME suspension, thats another thread.. how many of you are lucky enough to have the Defender as your only vehicle?
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2007, 11:06 PM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Do you have in your Defenders? Mine has only ever put me down twice, both times were in the driveway. When yall get in your Defenders do you have no worries or is there always that feeling in the back of your mind that something might happen? I am going to set out for close too a thousand miles next week and have done my usual inspection so I am not that worried. naturally the clutch is being a little funky and the OME suspension, thats another thread.. how many of you are lucky enough to have the Defender as your only vehicle?
I drive mine cross country regularly. No second thoughts. If I'm in desert country or cold weather, I take the regular precautions (water, blankets, ....)

My D has been at least as reliable as my old Lexus.
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:20 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
No worries here. I empathize everytime I read a stubburn Defender thread, and pray it doesn't happen to me...especially since I drive nothing else but my Defenders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2007, 12:58 AM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

Ade i would like to be like you and get a 94 or 95 soft top along with my hardtop b/c i would luvvv to take the top off of my 97 SW so bad but the reason holding me back from getting one is of course $$ and the reason this guy started the thread...reliability...

as for an answer to the thread besides that random comment to ade about have a SW and a ST together...i am completely not worried about the reliability about the d-90...never would think twice about it not running...until it actually does happen i wont worry but there is always that thought in the back of my mind like you said...always that possibility and wonder...

personally i dont trip b/c i have a 97 and generally these never have problems but the 94's and 95's are sometimes problematic..wonder what the most prevelant problem is with the early models..?
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Thirteen years with no check engine lights and only one stranding, which luckly happened in the parking lot of a B&B on the Outer Banks. (instead of on the sand during low tide) In that time, I've made a couple 3000+ mile trips to Colorado or Utah from the east coast.
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:18 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

In my personal experience the defenders are the most reliable land rover i've ever driven (aside from my mother's '03 rangie which after 75K hasn't even had a hiccup). Although "reliability" to me means will I be able to get out of trouble or limp it home somehow. In that case, i would agree with the above posts.. never had my d-90 force me to walk home. I've always been impressed with how well these cars can "limp" home. In terms of reliability in the traidtional sense.. i think not. There is always something weird mechanically going on but I feel that's part of the territory. Besides its always fun to see some of the creative solutions people come up with to get their trucks home. I remember once I cannobolized my girlfriends bra in order to use the underwire as a replacement for a section of coroded wire (i think it was the MAF wire). Who knew that driving fire roads with a braless girl in the passenger seat could be so entertaining. In the end though, i've never been stranded or let down.
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:47 AM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
I remember once I cannobolized my girlfriends bra in order to use the underwire as a replacement for a section of coroded wire (i think it was the MAF wire). Who knew that driving fire roads with a braless girl in the passenger seat could be so entertaining. In the end though, i've never been stranded or let down.
You should post pics............................... ...of the repair.
Old June 25th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Moral of the story - always travel with big chested women. Underwires can save your day.
Old June 25th, 2007, 01:31 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

picked mine up from florida and sammy wouldn't let me use her thong as a temporary fan belt. had to wait for a tow truck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 25th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

My Defender has never let me down. Was a daily driver for the first 7 years. Second car from then on. Got thru every weather condition ever thrown at it too.

That is not to say it has never had problems - I have always be lucky enough to find them just in time.

These trucks are getting old......I have to admit, sometimes when I hear a strange sound I wonder........but is that not part of the ownership??

Flagg

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat