How many of you still cary a Maglite in your vehicle? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 17th, 2013, 08:23 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
No need to kick it up a notch, with the Mag lite I can call my shots like I'm Babe Ruth
Seriously; I think there is an LED bulb for the mag if you actually want to use it for illumination
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2013, 08:28 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

I have about 5 D cell MagLites. I picked up a 3 D-cell LED light that was mismarked for $13.
The MagLite LED lights completely blow away the incandescent bulb versions. It's literally like night and day. The LED conversions I've found to be very cheesy and they just don't throw the light like the official LED MagLite.
Even at ~$30 the D-cell MagLite is a steal I think.
Old December 17th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Fenix LD01 best carry flashlight ever...Surefire 6PX Pro in the garage & car, E2DL in the house...I plan to never need to buy another flashlight again.
I hate those Surefire lights for working on cars. The light is too bright and too focused. I know it sounds silly to say its too bright, but those lights suck for working on cars. A bunch of mechanics use them, but I don't understand why. At work I think a Snap On 18V LED flashlight is the only way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2013, 09:01 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
The surefire is alright, clips to the hat and at 10 lumens it's a decent work light. Generally use the headlamp or the 18v Milwaukee as the batteries are a lot cheaper than the CR 123.

That said, I've carried my surefire around the world for personal defense. Baddies hate 100 lumens in their face, usually makes it not worth their time (and attracts the attention of other samaritans).
Old December 17th, 2013, 09:19 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I hate those Surefire lights for working on cars. The light is too bright and too focused. I know it sounds silly to say its too bright, but those lights suck for working on cars. A bunch of mechanics use them, but I don't understand why. At work I think a Snap On 18V LED flashlight is the only way to go.
That's funny, I actually have the Snap On 18v LED that goes with my impact, and will admit that it is by far my favorite tool (2nd to the impact itself).

BUT the 6px pro fits right in my mouth when I'm inevitably underneath the truck, or hunched over it, or in some tight spot working on wiring/etc and need both hands free but no room to lay down a worklight. Keep in mind...this is a non-hydraulic lift environment we're talking about . When I'm at my folks shop, sure the Snap On on the ground positioned up to the area in question is great - but 85% of the time I'm crammed into some crevice on the truck and come out covered in mud, grease, and a little blood....so the Surefire is much more handy (and I can keep in my pocket as I'm rolling all over the place whereas the SnapOn always seems to be left just a little out of reach).

Plus, the 6px pro has the dual setting where the low is only like 20 lumens or something so it's not blinding.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 17th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
That's funny, I actually have the Snap On 18v LED that goes with my impact, and will admit that it is by far my favorite tool (2nd to the impact itself).

BUT the 6px pro fits right in my mouth when I'm inevitably underneath the truck, or hunched over it, or in some tight spot working on wiring/etc and need both hands free but no room to lay down a worklight. Keep in mind...this is a non-hydraulic lift environment we're talking about . When I'm at my folks shop, sure the Snap On on the ground positioned up to the area in question is great - but 85% of the time I'm crammed into some crevice on the truck and come out covered in mud, grease, and a little blood....so the Surefire is much more handy (and I can keep in my pocket as I'm rolling all over the place whereas the SnapOn always seems to be left just a little out of reach).

Plus, the 6px pro has the dual setting where the low is only like 20 lumens or something so it's not blinding.

Oh man I'm stayin away from this one...
Old December 17th, 2013, 09:31 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
Seriously; I think there is an LED bulb for the mag if you actually want to use it for illumination
When it dies I'll get a LED version, until then I just replace the bulb every so often and it keeps soldiering on.

With the 110 around I have no shortage of things to spend money on.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old December 17th, 2013, 09:32 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Oh man I'm stayin away from this one...
My description too Freudian?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 17th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
My description too Freudian?
Yeah man....I'm crackin up over here! 48 going on 14 I reckon...
Old December 17th, 2013, 09:39 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Yeah man....I'm crackin up over here! 48 going on 14 I reckon...
Sinner
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 17th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Here you go, http://www.amazon.com/Rebel-90-Heavy...f=pd_sim_hi_10 the ultimate tacti-cool, LED, bazooka flashlight. 17 inches long, 1.75 inches in diameter and 1,000 lumens. Blind 'em then bash 'em. It's not going in the glove box and deploying it will probably a little difficult in a tense situation.

Old December 17th, 2013, 09:50 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Here you go, http://www.amazon.com/Rebel-90-Heavy...f=pd_sim_hi_10 the ultimate tacti-cool, LED, bazooka flashlight. 17 inches long, 1.75 inches in diameter and 1,000 lumens. Blind 'em then bash 'em. It's not going in the glove box and deploying it will probably a little difficult in a tense situation.
15 is my limit on schnitzengruben.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 17th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
15 is my limit on schnitzengruben.
Old December 17th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:

I can appreciate that. I have a bad habit of leaving my Snap On light shoved in the frame/body/suspension and taking it on test drives. I've also left it inside doors when doing a door latch. I amazed that cheap feeling piece of overpriced plastic is still holding up! The Surefire would make a great bike light however.
Old December 17th, 2013, 10:41 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
So... not to completely hijack. Back when I worked in a different job I designed the Cisco CallManager network at Mag's Ontario, CA factory. So if you ever have to call them for customer service (and they all seemed cool as hell) you can thank me.

I still have some Minimags and other such things around, but my day-to-day light is a Fenix LD12 provided by my current job.

Old December 17th, 2013, 10:43 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
but my day-to-day light is a Fenix LD12 provided by my current job.
and it is the coolest, isn't it? my LD01 runs forever on 1 aaa battery (vs the AA in the LD12), and is bright as a mutha. clip it right to my wallet and i forget its there (until i need it, which seems like a daily basis sometimes).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 17th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Jbullis
Jason Bullis
1994 NAS 90 #1810, 2006 LR3

Registry
I still have about 4 left in packages never opened...
Old December 18th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I still use maglites and pick them up when I see them cheap at yard sales. Paid $3 for the last 4C one I got.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old December 18th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Yudda
Rob
1997/300tdi/110

Have you guys seen the Malkoff drop-in for the D Mag light ?

700 lumens.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/drop-i...r-3-4d-maglite

Your newest Led factory D cell Maglight is 100ish lumens.

FWIW: I carry the older Fenix tk-40 in the truck (630 lumens)

Click image for larger version

Name:	tk-40.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	86333

and the Fenix ld20 (180 lumens) in my pocket for the past couple years.
They both get Wows and comments every trip. Funny, most folks have cheap lights or Maglights.
If any of you havent experienced modern flashlights...now is the time. Single cell AA lights are brighter than the Mag light.

I have to admit most of the time, I reach for the Nebo Larry Light, I bought them at home depot 2 years ago.
Its been one of the most useful lights I have ever owned.
Its surprisingly bright ....very useful swivel magnetic pocket clip and long run time.

and 10$

Click image for larger version

Name:	larry.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	86332
Old December 18th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I bring a surefire with me, its mounted on a kimber TLE RL 1911.

Robert Deniro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat