How long can our D-90s last?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 15th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

How long can our D-90s last??

How long can our D-90s last. How long can they run? How long can we beat the rust? How long can we keep this web page going? I would like to think forever What is everyone's opinion???

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2007, 03:34 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Forever. The entire thing may be new by the end of its life, but it will still be your rover. Everything that rusts can be replaced. All the mechanicals are cheap and readily available from junk discovery and RRCs (save the manual trans which are fairly easy to rebuild). The only hard to find stuff will be the NAS specific lights on the 93/94 and the roll cages, but even the cages can be fabricated if need be. Look at the 64 Dormobile I am building. Pretty much everything is new or off a newer truck, but the character remains.
Old March 15th, 2007, 03:43 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yep, forever. This is part of my plan to only buy new cars as toys. The Rovers (especially Tdi's) are cheap enough to operate that they are very sensible. Being infinitely rebuildable makes them excellent long-term prospects which drives the overall cost of operation way down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Forever. A good Land Rover is like your favorite hammer....that's had 2 heads & 3 handles. My particular D90 (that I've owned since new) has about half the original body panels, has had 3 rear diffs, 2 transmissions, 2 transfer cases, 5 different top configurations, 2 roll bar configurations. It is about to get another transmission & maybe a new engine. Note: most of these parts were replaced as upgrades, not failures. I fully intend to drive it until I die. It's at 177,000 miles now.
Old March 15th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob
Forever. A good Land Rover is like your favorite hammer....that's had 2 heads & 3 handles. My particular D90 (that I've owned since new) has about half the original body panels, has had 3 rear diffs, 2 transmissions, 2 transfer cases, 5 different top configurations, 2 roll bar configurations. It is about to get another transmission & maybe a new engine. Note: most of these parts were replaced as upgrades, not failures. I fully intend to drive it until I die. It's at 177,000 miles now.

A-men to that, I just told my co-worker that I plan to drive my D-90 for the rest of my life. She looked at me funny and said I need a life. I'm gonna biuld a series III out of fiberglass and put it on a toyota Scion body one day so I can have that landrover look with toyota reliability.

Robert Deniro
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:44 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I plan to be buried in it, unless of course my son promises not to sell it.
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:56 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
well, its a machine, it can always be repaired. As for how close can we keep them to original for the next 30+ years that will be another question. I forsee the ECU failure rate climbing steadily as time wears on, but by then I'm sure someone will have figured out a complete DIY megasquirt type of thing.

Im keepin mine! (where's that black spraypaint?)

~Steve
Old March 16th, 2007, 09:51 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"I forsee the ECU failure rate climbing steadily as time wears on, but by then I'm sure someone will have figured out a complete DIY megasquirt type of thing."

Well there are about 10,000 of those ECUs in disco Is and Range Rovers.
Old March 16th, 2007, 03:26 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Forever....

The machine is designed to be worked on by hand with simple hand tools - regular maintenance is the key to happy ownership. My '97 truck started life as a Soft Top - I bought a new SW roll cage - a roof cap, and roof sides from a 2001 Defender and a lift gate from a '63 series IIA, then painted and assembled the components so I could have a hard top for winter use. I have replaced plastic door panels, center console, dash consoles, speaker boxes and overhead storage trays with stainless steel components - they will outlast even the toughest of plastics-polycarbintes or fiberglass. I re appolstered the seats with a Exmoore Retrim kit - the seats feel and look like new. I have replaced my right front fender (but only after a honda decided to change lanes into my ARB bumper and the bottom of my fender) - This truck is my grocery getter and my four wheeling mule and like others on the board have mentioned - I'll try to keep this truck my primary machine forever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 16th, 2007, 03:59 PM
cr7707
carl, joseph

How about parts?, are there any parts that any ony of you who are in the business see that willl be impossible to replace?
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:55 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I think some of the NAS specific bits might be hard to do like the tail lights on the 94's. I think the biggest issue will be computers, but as mentioned above there are a plenty of ECU's around. The nice thing is that a lot of the mechanical stuff is shared with Discos and RRC's. All this being said I love my truck, the more i drive it the better it gets and I hope that I will always be able to keep it.

Rust and corrosion are a Defenders only enemy imho...
Old March 16th, 2007, 09:43 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Defenders are the current day Series trucks. What's keeping the Series trucks off the roads? Well, other than the fact that the Defenders are a bit nicer to drive and more capable, not a whole lot. The biggest obstacle to keeping a Defender driving 'forever' will be another vehicle that catches our attention.

Should Land Rover release a newer, better Defender that captures the essence of this vehicle so well, we'd likely all eventually end up upgrading. Or at least incorporating some of those niftier parts in our Series / Defenders.
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Amen to FOREVER. Glad you all are with me!!!

Flagg
Old March 17th, 2007, 04:33 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
My D130 has about 275k miles on the original motor and transmission. It was originally a utility truck for a power company in the UK and was used hard everyday. It has been to South Africa on a extended road trip and finaly ended up in my care. It is beat, weathered, worn and faded but the thing just keeps plugging along. I keep meaning to put a rebuilt engine in it but it's engine just keeps going and going. I take good care of the engine and make sure all fluids are changed regularly. It is not pretty to look at, rusted door hinge bolts, bulkhead rust, dents, scratches and dings. I could not imagine fixing her up and repainting her. It would seem a disservice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d-90