How hard is the diesel swap to do w/o a lift? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 31st, 2011, 11:42 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

How hard is the diesel swap to do w/o a lift?

I'm considering doing a diesel swap on my 1995 NAS d-90 hardtop. The main reason is that the truck is starting to show it's age a bit and might be due for an overhall. I wanted to do a galvanized chassis on it and I know you can get them setup to accept the new engine. Here is my question:

I'm a moderate to good mechanic with the usual home tool setup. On the defender I typically do wheel bearings, engine rebuilds, brakes, diffs, suspension etc and that's about the limit of my involvement thus far. How hard would this be to do in my garage assuming I start with a frame already set up for a 300 tdi or td5? I have no welding equipment or knowledge on how to do so. My biggest concern here, is getting the body moved over without a lift and the electrical wiring.

I've searched the forums and I know a lot of guys do it with no problems but I feel they were more often than not professionally skilled mechanics. Any advice? It's not my daily driver so laying it up for a few months isn't an issue.
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2011, 12:25 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
No lift needed, just a bunch of friends and case of beer. I've also lifted bodies on with overhead hoists, very carefully with an engine hoist, or even rolling the frame under the body propped up on 2x4s and cinder blocks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old October 31st, 2011, 01:04 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I can't see a lift even being that helpful. You DO need one other person to help shift large parts.
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2011, 01:28 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Otherwise, you think that you can make this work with basic hand tools, an impact and some pry bars?

How much hacking is needed to make the wiring harness work? I would ideally like a TD5 and i hear they are a nightmare to wire up.
Old October 31st, 2011, 05:32 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

just totally dismantle the bodywork and carry it over. As was said, you'll need an extra pair of hands for the rear tub (unless you don't mind risking a few scratches... i've fitted them singlehanded before, but not on very 'neat' vehicles!) and the bulkhead is heavy too.

Td5 wiring is easy. If you keep it factory spec, it's just plug & play, literally plug all the looms in together. If you get the alarm 10AS unit and the engine ECU and engine from different sources, then you'll need something like a Nanocom or rovacom unit to make all the units 'learn' each other (ECU needs to learn the alarm codes, alarm box needs to learn the remote plippers, and ECU needs the 5x injector codes entering to run smoothly)

If you get the whole lot from a running vehicle, then just plug in and crack on!

PM me your email and i'll send over the Td5 wiring manual.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel