How does ECR do it? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 4th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie
How does ECR do it?

O.k. question pondering my mine. I am a schlep-o whoe is trying to restore or git NLA bits for my truck, along with the rest of you guys. Case in point, Pendy posted 3 pieces of ST interior windshield trim that goes above the sunvisors. Well I just happened to be the first to suck it up. I know more people need these items which are NLA.
Also, 3rd brake lights - no one seems to have them yet a lot of folks need these.

So if ECR restores a vehicle and these are just a few of the examples of items that are NLA how do they do a complete resto? Did they have the forsight to suck up these and other items before they went NLA, do they remanufacture the parts just for use in-house on $50K plus restos? This is no way intended to be a dig on ECR, I used them as an example as they turn out a lot of complete restos, and if they do remanufacture these NLA items why offer it to the public as it is not part of your business model.
Just curious?

Old March 5th, 2012, 12:12 AM
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style
I'm sure it's a combination of buying up NLA parts, searching parts out, and using ROW parts that can be modded to work. In truth, there is nothing special about 97% of the NAS Defender parts aside from the ST cages. Even something like making a replica tub wouldn't be all that hard to do. There are very few parts that I couldn't replicate on my own if I could get my hands on a donor set and had the time to dedicate to it. When you have clients willing to pay top dollar, that makes justifying the manufacture of replicas that much easier. Dealing with mail order on oddball vehicles sounds like a big pain in the ass to me, especially when your real money maker is restoration and modification. Dealing with a minimal mail order sales where the profit margin is going to be low seems like a hassle, and because the way the Defenders were built, I could see there being a lot of return and exchange requests.... for example I have seen at least 3 variants of the 1994 ST cage tub and under body pieces.

Old March 5th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I have never seen a rover in person
For STs, ECR starts with ones that are really nice to begin with (the beach runner donors all seemed pretty cherry), for 110s they replace pretty much everything.
*not legal advice*
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto
NLA's & Rear brake lights

Just because LR dont stock it anymore does not mean its unobtainium, on Ebay Uk in Dec there were a number of rear light units for sale & sold for about 40ish from memory, tend to see them pop up in batches.

other items tend to be sold in bulk eg crates, the MOD has HUGE stocks of early 90 parts including trim parts.! why do squaddies need door trims and plastic door lock parts?... because they're fitted to base and civvy spec cars they keep the spare parts.

companies like Dunsfold buy large amounts of odd LR stock parts others like hobsons are contracted to repair for the MOD and again have large stocks of odd parts.

I would bet there are boxes of odd small plastic parts for LR's only sold outside europe in a suppliers shed somewhere.

when I find a crate of nas console locks i'll be set for retirement.

part of owning an odd car is the joy of knowing its missing something anoyingly obvious to those in the know.

Old March 5th, 2012, 12:12 PM
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
Originally Posted by Gren_T
on Ebay Uk in Dec there were a number of rear light units for sale & sold for about 40ish from memory, tend to see them pop up in batches.
Don't recall that bit of info popping up on here a few months back?
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat