How do I buy a 2014 Range Rover ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 12th, 2014, 08:34 PM
johan
johan
2009 Range Rover

How do I buy a 2014 Range Rover ?

SOme weeks ago I got the exciting idea about trading in my 2010 LR4 against a new full size Range Rover with the new V6 engine. Should save some gas money, right ...

So what do you do ? as these are not advertised on this Defender site I went to the local dealer ship and asked for a test ride. NO, not possible, we don't have these in stock, are not going to get any demos and you can only special order them. Ok, but I want to feel the difference, going back from V8 to V6, so... ??? Sorry, but no.

Ok, then. If I take the change and order one, do you trade in my LR4 ? Yes we are happy to, we have a shortage of nice cars ...

I had checked there website already and it said they would offer 5% above Kellys blue book value. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my LR4, it even has always been serviced by them. After a long time they came up with an offer more then 10% below the KBB trade-in value. Disappointed but ok, still priced out a new Range Rover and went home.

Used to sales man, I was expecting a follow up call soon. But no. After more then a week I took the initiative and called them. After explaining who I was, which car they priced for me and which offer they gave for my car, he remembered who I was.......

Told them I was ready to order a new one but was very disappointed about their trade in price. Sorry, but we don't go by the KBB value, we look a auction prices and these are lower. Very surprised about this. I explained them again, I am ready to order if you give me a better deal. Finally the manager was going to talk to another manager and would me call me back.

This is where the story ends. Up so far, never received any call from them.

I moved to the US 5 years ago and this would be my second new LR I buy in the States. So not so much experience here; but a school kid pricing out and trying to sell a 100K+ car and his manager not even returning phone calls, ......

My excitement for a new Range Rover is still there but why to they make is so difficult to buy one ?
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2014, 08:45 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
SOme weeks ago I got the exciting idea about trading in my 2010 LR4 against a new full size Range Rover with the new V6 engine. Should save some gas money, right ... So what do you do ? as these are not advertised on this Defender site I went to the local dealer ship and asked for a test ride. NO, not possible, we don't have these in stock, are not going to get any demos and you can only special order them. Ok, but I want to feel the difference, going back from V8 to V6, so... ??? Sorry, but no. Ok, then. If I take the change and order one, do you trade in my LR4 ? Yes we are happy to, we have a shortage of nice cars ... I had checked there website already and it said they would offer 5% above Kellys blue book value. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my LR4, it even has always been serviced by them. After a long time they came up with an offer more then 10% below the KBB trade-in value. Disappointed but ok, still priced out a new Range Rover and went home. Used to sales man, I was expecting a follow up call soon. But no. After more then a week I took the initiative and called them. After explaining who I was, which car they priced for me and which offer they gave for my car, he remembered who I was....... Told them I was ready to order a new one but was very disappointed about their trade in price. Sorry, but we don't go by the KBB value, we look a auction prices and these are lower. Very surprised about this. I explained them again, I am ready to order if you give me a better deal. Finally the manager was going to talk to another manager and would me call me back. This is where the story ends. Up so far, never received any call from them. I moved to the US 5 years ago and this would be my second new LR I buy in the States. So not so much experience here; but a school kid pricing out and trying to sell a 100K+ car and his manager not even returning phone calls, ...... My excitement for a new Range Rover is still there but why to they make is so difficult to buy one ?
A good friend had a very similar experience ... He was cash buyer for RRS autobiography. Dealer didn't care. They could sell any vehicle anyone ordered so no test drives.

He's ordering a cayenne turbo now ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old March 12th, 2014, 08:46 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I thought all the 2014 ones were sold already.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2014, 08:54 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I thought all the 2014 ones were sold already.
That's the "problem" - they're selling themselves.
Old March 12th, 2014, 09:02 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Call Mark Fabello at Lyle Pearson in Boise. 208.991.5466.

If Mark can't help, PM me. I know someone who may be able to help.
Old March 12th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Hardtimes
Russell Newhall
110dc, 110sw, 97 nas90 LE

Registry
wanting more money for your trade when the range rover you custom ordered is going to take at best months to get there doesn't motivate the dealer very much.

As we all know, waiting a few months to get out of our Landrovers (defender excluded) could mean throwing away thousands of dollars. The only way I see getting them to want your deal would be offering them your trade now and driving something else until your new rover shows up.

be careful though as most dealers are adding a minimum of 10k worth of accessories upon arrival because if you don't take it, someone else will
Old March 12th, 2014, 09:47 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Shit they can keep it, I wouldn't waste any time on people that have to be begged to take money. LR4 is a solid Rover and looks better than the Range Explorer anyhow.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:06 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
Shit they can keep it, I wouldn't waste any time on people that have to be begged to take money. LR4 is a solid Rover and looks better than the Range Explorer anyhow.
This. Keep enjoying the LR4 and wait a couple of years and the "new" Range Rover price comes down.

2 other things:
- there are a couple new Range Rovers in town. Yes, they look nice and all but I keep thinking do they look that much nicer than the L322? Just a quick guess but the new ones are $40k more than a solid later year L322 could be had for. I would use the difference for a nice Defender.
- I noticed quite a few (3 or 4 of them) of the new Range Rovers outside the service area of the local dealer when I had my wife's rig in for service. Could be a number of reasons but if they are not that many available why so many getting serviced already?
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:38 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I think you just have to roll up there with enough in cash to buy two of them and just ask for the shiny one.
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Reminds of the Soup Nazi - NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:42 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Don't trade the LR4. Sell it privately. Be a cash buyer and get on the list. I thought hard about one, but then I found out the LWB model was like 50k more than the regular one. Crazy given that LWB jags are like 5-10k more than the SWB.
Old March 13th, 2014, 08:23 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I actually love my lr4. Best truck I ever owned. Other than the 90
Old March 13th, 2014, 08:33 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Don't trade the LR4. Sell it privately. Be a cash buyer and get on the list. I thought hard about one, but then I found out the LWB model was like 50k more than the regular one. Crazy given that LWB jags are like 5-10k more than the SWB.
22k price difference
Old March 13th, 2014, 09:28 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
22k price difference
Really? I should look again. When they first came out it was only the super high end one that was LWB.
Old March 13th, 2014, 09:33 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
22k price difference
The LWB version is an exclusive option on the V8 car. It's 5200 dollar on the V8 and 5350 dollar on the Autobiography
Old March 13th, 2014, 09:41 PM
MC36
Michael Christian
97 D90 ST British Racing Green

Heck I can remember not too long ago that RR dealership here went two or three months without selling a new Range! They are riding high while the demand is high, that will tail off as soon as the excitement dies down some. Most dealerships that are of decent volume has sold out their allotments through the end of the summer. None can keep a demo in stock you have to put your money down and wait. All the luxury manufactures have gone to this almost just in time manufacturing, that way they can command full price and control the used market as well. Ferrari is now doing it too, they learned their lesson by making too many F360s and F430s.

Unless you have more money than sense, just wait there are a lot of highly anticipated cars cars coming to market very soon and the 'shinny ball syndrome' will move onto something else and the true Rover enthusiast like you can come and and work a deal.

Private sell your LR4, that is the only way you are going to get top dollar. If you trade it on a low availability and hot car you are going to get taken every time, they have no incentive to give you more, you want the new car too bad. Supply and demand!
Old March 13th, 2014, 09:43 PM
johan
johan
2009 Range Rover

Thanks for all the comments.
I know buying a new Range Rover is a bad investment, and there is also no need to replace the LR4 other then "I want something else". Cheapest would be to drive my 1988 Towncar year round although I don't want to get any sault on that one ...

Most frustrating and surprising for me is that they don't even call me back when I tell them that I am ready to sign.

Anyway, I will contact some dealers in the Chicago or Detroit area and see if they want to sell a car.

Keep you guys posted and thanks for the comments.
Old March 13th, 2014, 10:17 PM
spartan
Fred
83 D110

Registry
new RR sport

I ordered a 2014 RR Sport Autobiography black with the two tone black and red interior. It has the red Brembo brakes and TFT dash. I ordered it 2 months ago and it will be ready for delivery next week. No discount MSRP.
Old March 13th, 2014, 11:31 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

The problem is that LR dealers and sales people are fed up with not having RR's to sell.
It's not really an excuse for poor service, but imagine you make your living from commission selling LR's and you have no LR4's, no Sports, and no RR's on your lot to sell but you get dozens of calls and walk ins everyday that want to buy? So everyday you have to not only possibly lose sales and money but explain over and over why you don't have any to sell!
It's not that these guys don't want to sell you a RR. The problem is they can't get you one for 9 to 12 months. You won't even be buying a 2014 you'll be buying a 2015!
There is no way they can give you a "trade" value that's accurate for a year from now. All they can do is buy your LR4. But why would you do that? You won't have a car.
You may as well ask them if they have any Unicorns.

As for holding value, all LR4's, Newer RR's, and newer Sports are selling for record values. A 2013 sc v8 RR sold recently at a local auto auction for $128000. This was wholesale auction, not charity county club auction. It was a year old with 7500 miles. The original MSRP was $111000. This is happening all over the Country.

If this is your local dealer, I'd say give them a break, be understanding, make a friend, get on their " list " and if a RR becomes available you will get a call. Or find a new dealership and start fresh with these things in mind.
If you don't want to wait, then keep your LR4, it's a great car.
Old March 13th, 2014, 11:34 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Same thing happened in 02 when the new one came out. It is worse now because demand from china and Russia is insane.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
range rover