How do I buy a 2014 Range Rover ? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 14th, 2014, 02:52 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I bought my LR4 new at the dealership last year and it was an entirely different experience. I agree with Ron and others: the attitude you're seeing is because of the scarcity of the RR. You are trying to haggle with them on a truck that they don't have to haggle on. Your best bet is to sell the LR4 privately and pay cash.

I was very happy with the deal that I got on the LR4. I engaged Adam Check of Over Hill & Dale (adam@overhillanddale.com) to help me locate the truck I wanted and get intelligence which I used to negotiate. I ended up getting private party blue book value on my 2011 Tundra trade-in and paid what I think was a very fair price on the LR4. Still, it was not easy. Things got heated with the sales manager ("You want me to lose money on this vehicle!") and I walked out. Once outside, I realized that they still had the keys to my trade-in so I went back to get them and of course got the "Come on, sit down, let's make this work" line. With good negotiation skills, prior research, and a well-timed visit (last day of the month. always.), you can get a good deal on a Land Rover. Just not on a Range Rover.

On a side note, you might enjoy this excellent This American Life episode, "129 Cars":

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2014, 06:30 AM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
Spam alert!
Old March 14th, 2014, 09:31 AM
JASEcrest
Jason
'88 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
On a side note, you might enjoy this excellent This American Life episode, "129 Cars":
I listened to that episode a few months back. It was an eye-opener for me. Dry in parts, but good information from how the dealership/employees act and react.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2014, 09:50 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Let's not overlook the strong economy for contributing towards the demand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1333079578.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	91212   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2881248349.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	91213  

Old March 18th, 2014, 09:36 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
Thanks for all the comments.
I know buying a new Range Rover is a bad investment, and there is also no need to replace the LR4 other then "I want something else". Cheapest would be to drive my 1988 Towncar year round although I don't want to get any sault on that one ...

Most frustrating and surprising for me is that they don't even call me back when I tell them that I am ready to sign.

Anyway, I will contact some dealers in the Chicago or Detroit area and see if they want to sell a car.

Keep you guys posted and thanks for the comments.
Johan, I have a friend that is selling his 13 Autobiography RR if you are interested. 15k miles, $132k. No waiting no taxes..
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:42 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Punting it after 15K miles? I guess its not all its cracked up to be.

-Jeff
Wrong again. Getting a black one. Current one is gray. Loves RR's. He has had at least 5 since
Old March 19th, 2014, 12:26 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Sure, why not? He likes to get new cars. Says nothing about the quality of the car. Every year car manufacturers make changes to vehicles, it's what keeps the new car market moving.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 09:07 AM
johan
johan
2009 Range Rover

Thanks Discotdi for letting me know. I am sure it is a good price but above what I wantend to spend on a HSE.

Still dificult to buy a new Range Rover. Out of State dealers are not allowed by Land Rover to sell. Other dealers in the State are extremely slow in responding. See what is going to happen but the fun of buying a new car is taken away already.
Old March 30th, 2014, 05:14 PM
johan
johan
2009 Range Rover

ok, last update. We bought a new 2014 Range Rover.

After some phone calls to dealers all over the country having new Range Rover advertised in their inventory, it was clear that no dealer has them. Although advertised different.

Also I learned that dealers get a pay back for every Range Rover sold in their territory, so nobody is interested in selling outside their region.

So, no other option then your local dealer....
In the meantime, the dealer apologized for their late, or better, no response and made up for it. So pulled the trigger yesterday on a new Range Rover, should arrive in July.

Anybody interested in a 2010 LR4 HSE-lux ?

T

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
range rover