How did everyone learn to be so handy? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:46 AM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

How did everyone learn to be so handy?

After being a member of this board for over a year and getting tons of helpful answers from the many posts, I was curious how so many of you learned how to service your D-90s. I can do some of the simple things, but many of you seem to be part time trained mechanics. Was it always this way, or just since you bought your Defender? Also how did many of you learn to work on your truck? Trial and error, a friend teach you etc?
I would like to me more handy and hands on but a little hesitant, plus I don't have all the tools.

Looking forward to your answers....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:51 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribsurf
After being a member of this board for over a year and getting tons of helpful answers from the many posts, I was curious how so many of you learned how to service your D-90s. I can do some of the simple things, but many of you seem to be part time trained mechanics. Was it always this way, or just since you bought your Defender? Also how did many of you learn to work on your truck? Trial and error, a friend teach you etc?
I would like to me more handy and hands on but a little hesitant, plus I don't have all the tools.

I don't help much on this board, but i'm an engineer, i've always taken things apart to see whats going on inside... so when it comes to how things work generic knowledge i'm usually ok...

I'm trying to find that dilbert knack cartoon in my email somewhere, it's great!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:58 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I bought a rover and did not want to pay people to fix it.
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:02 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Wow

Quote:

That could have been my post. I'm going to attempt the rear wheel bearing tomorrow morning. I bought extra beer and invited my brothers... after telling them no beer till the beast runs, I suspect we'll quickly figure out how to disassemble, service, and re-assemble the r/r wheel bearing quickly.

I didn't tell them we have to remove the hood... er, bonnet and deck cowling (term?) to replace the wiper motor, or replace a seatbelt, replace the power steering res and hoses, etc...
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:20 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
By the Land Rover Service manual, put it next to your toilet at home, and start eating hot wings on a daily basis.

P.S. it's easy to read. You just have to do it.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:30 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

I've got one and it is handy for some things. I have a Haynes for our 18 year old Volvo wagon and it's written more for amateurs like me than the shop manuals are.

I'm an engineer, too... I just don't like acting like one.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:35 AM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

Quote:

Who said we're all handy? I just changed out the cigarette lighter and thought that was a pretty good accomplishment.

My secret-I went out and found a job that paid enough for me to have a good mechanic do it all for me.

That said, he's a very patient fellow rover freak who doesn't mind at all if I look over his shoulder while he does stuff. I knew at some point I will probably break an axle, so I went out and bought some heavy duty axles and observed closely so I'd know what to do. At this point, I can get through basic stuff like axles, brakes, reconnecting brake lights, etc without swearing so much as to lose my eternal salvation.

For those near Evergreen, CO - I can make a good suggestion for a good shop if you need it.

BT
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:37 AM
Monkeyboy

You guys have "service manuals" ?

Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:07 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Shop Manual? Whatever it's called I dropped some ridiculous sum on it. I like to fool myself into thinking I'll do more than change the oil.

I was proud of myself for managing to change the timing belt, tensioner, and camshaft seal on the Volvo. According to my mechanic neighbor, I had a right to be - he came running over when he saw the hood up in the driveway to keep me from hurting myself (or the car, more likely). Runs like a top now, though. Hey, small steps.

Growing up, Dad did what Terpstra did - hired the mechanical stuff out. So I never learned. (shrug)
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:17 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Find some local clubs/rover guys and start going to shop days... they'll generally be happy to start helping you with doing things, and over time you'll learn more, and then start doing stuff on your own and helping other people.. Just about every weekend there is a shop day somewhere around here.. after all, they are land rovers.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:30 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuller
Find some local clubs/rover guys and start going to shop days... they'll generally be happy to start helping you with doing things, and over time you'll learn more, and then start doing stuff on your own and helping other people.. Just about every weekend there is a shop day somewhere around here.. after all, they are land rovers.
yeah we do have shop days almost every weekend... so i pick and choose which ones to stand around and drink coffee at
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:55 PM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
I bought a rover and did not want to pay people to fix it.
x2

plus rovers are fairly simple to work on once you start getting your hands dirty.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:50 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Land Rovers guarantee you a reason to go out to the garage, drink beer, and listen to tunes. You can't help but learn a little while you're out there.

I call it going to my "happy place".
Old March 23rd, 2007, 02:14 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Survival.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:18 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

When I turned 16 my father gave me his old Buick with 205k miles (and not running) and said I could have it and he'd pay to get it running so we worked on it together. We ended up pulling the engine, changing the cam, timing gears and chain and doing head gaskets. I have been working on cars ever since, and now that I mostly work on Rovers I just talk to the techs at work (I work at a dealer). One of them is a friend of mine, helps me out all the time, lets me use his lift after hours and since my tools are all at home in my garage, he gives me the key to his box!

I have flipped 5 or 6 rovers now and learned a little on each one. BTW, if anyone in the Denver area needs any help with anything I'm happy to! I really enjoy doing this stuff (plus it keeps us out of trouble right)?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:26 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Lots of reading,

Lots of blood on the knuckles,

Trial and error,

It's mainly just a matter of convincing yourself that these things can be done, and then having the pair of brass ones to get under there and start turning bolts. Sometimes I forget how daunting it was when I was first getting started working on stuff, removing your first pair of cylinder heads is a nightmare of an experience. It's seriously frightening when you see the driveway scattered with big, heavy iron parts and the ONLY option at that point is to put them back together in time for work the next day. The second ones aren't so bad. The third are mildy annoying. That fourth time is when you start having fun.

-hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

It was a frame of mind change for me, "It's already broken, I can't break it anymore right?"

I just didn't have the cash to pay someone else to fix it, but I'm in no way handy.
I bought 2 things that made me get useful, a Land Rover, and a house.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:13 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

A wrench and a haynes manual and a truck that needed a whole new brake system before it would pass inspection. It has come to be a very relaxing hobby to fix things and do my own maintainence.
Old March 24th, 2007, 09:26 AM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

When I was sixteen years old my Dad gave me a $50 Renault Dauphine and a set of Craftsman metric sockets - its all been downhill from there.....
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:20 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Gee, I'm a hybrid. I love to take things apart. I am not an engineer so that must explain why I can not get them back together. I have only just bought a service manual - Keith some of us do need them -from EE and have high hopes for it and myself.
Owning a Land Rover needs but a few things.
1. The mindless heart to purchase one - the truck is not practicle but I HAVE TO HAVE IT.
2. A lack of trepidation to tinker with it - they are (so the engineers say) easy to understand and work on.
3. An ability to ask for help - join this community and any local/area Rovers club. As with a site such as this. I am truely amazed at the support members give each other and how much they share.

I could also be cheeky : and paraphrase our next president -
"It takes a village to raise & maintain a D-90, and this is your village."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat