Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 24th, 2007, 01:29 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribsurf
After being a member of this board for over a year and getting tons of helpful answers from the many posts, I was curious how so many of you learned how to service your D-90s. I can do some of the simple things, but many of you seem to be part time trained mechanics. Was it always this way, or just since you bought your Defender? Also how did many of you learn to work on your truck? Trial and error, a friend teach you etc?
I would like to me more handy and hands on but a little hesitant, plus I don't have all the tools.

Looking forward to your answers....
I've always been able to take things a part and put them back together again. Plus I hang out in the shop when I do take it in for work.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I'm single.

Robert Deniro
Old March 24th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I watched the Red Green show...."if you can't be handsom, you should at least be handy"....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

So many great responses keep them coming. I think the first thing I have to do is move out of a townhouse with an Home Owners Association who frown on people working on their cars in the garage let alone scattering the driveway with parts and tools.

I am proud to say I did "Ospho" the undercarriage today and applied "back to Black" on all bumbers, roll bars and plastic.

little steps
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

I'm buggered - I have arthritis. Expensive if not impossible repair that.
Old March 25th, 2007, 11:43 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribsurf
So many great responses keep them coming. I think the first thing I have to do is move out of a townhouse with an Home Owners Association who frown on people working on their cars in the garage let alone scattering the driveway with parts and tools.

I am proud to say I did "Ospho" the undercarriage today and applied "back to Black" on all bumbers, roll bars and plastic.

little steps
Guess your HOA is a lot more strict than mine. I work on mine in my garage to the point that neighbors are now asking me for help.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:02 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Well,

you can do what I did - I purchased a rusted out POS '64 5 door - 109' station wagaon from a guy In Vermont who was way in over his head. I had it shipped out to CA. I took it all apart, then systematically rebuilt the truck. It was a freakin' mess -but had some redeaming qualities - new frame, suspension, exhaust system, and a fresh motor. Other than that I reused the hood, roofsides tub and fenders - everything else had to be either fabricated, bought used and refurbished, or bought new. I learned a lot about rovers. I learned about the electrical systems, brake systems, how to spray auutomotive paint, and everything else you would need to totally dismantel a vehicle and rebuild it with simple hand tools. I even learned how to install round head aircraft hammer rivets. Don't let anybody tell you that aluminum does not corrode - I was pulling chuncks of rock salt that corroded all the way through the aluminum cargo floor. (all of the floors had to be rebuilt, and to mention a few of the big ticket items that were replaced..... seatbox , bulkhead, 5 doors, radiator panel). The front axle looked as though it had been used as an anchor for a Alabama shrimpin' boat - all of the bolts were so badly corroded and fused togerther - I just dropped it from the running gear and bought a new front axel - drum to drum. Lets just say greasy, bloody, bruised knuckles and elbows were in fashion around my house for about 11 months while I was tearing down and rebuilding the truck. You can see the final results on a small web site I built to sell the truck - I sold it to buy my D90. - http://americandirtroads.com/109/

Len
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	r2[1].jpg
Views:	71
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	8789  

Old March 26th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

great story Len and sweet truck thanks for the input
Old March 26th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

my father has been restoring British cars all his life, one of my earliest memories is of being under a 1936 Bentley cleaning grime out of it's frame rails at about age 5 -- I guess playing with odd British vehicles is in the blood.
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:43 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I guess I count as handy having rebuilt the truck and all that. I'm no mechanic though, just a motivated amateur - I frequently get stymied by something that Pendy or Rob D would know off hand.

When I was 16 I bought a 41 Cadillac. It needed new knee-action shocks, and other stuff. I rewired the whole car with a repro harness. Then I bought a couple disassembled TR3's. Had a 65 Mustang for a number of years, did lots of work to that. The Rover wasnt intimidating at all really - it was nice to work on a 4x4 so that it didnt have to be jacked up for every little thing including oil changes.

Working on your car is more about project management and problem solving skills then mechanical know-how. Being observant helps, but being able to work on components and seeing things through to completion is what its all about.

Another thing that makes it easier to learn and more fun is when you arent caught by having to get the car back on the road. Its never good to be rushing on Sunday because you have to go to work Monday - you screw up more, are more stressed out, and you've got no room for error if you need an extra part that you didnt predict. Having an extra car or two is a big help.
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:20 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Like many others it was the only option I had to keep my FJ40 running when I was 16 and had no money. I think I am getting better, I seem to have fewer parts left over at the end of each project now.
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:06 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

In my experience, the key to working on your truck under the watchful eyes of home owners associations and condo garage narcs is to be covert and blend in to the landscape as much as possible.
Bring out only the tools you need for the specific day or evening's task. Don't draw un-necessary attention to yourself by blasting music or having empty beer bottles rolling out from under the truck. Keep the area as clean as possible. Park head first in your space for front end work; backwards for jobs at the rear of the truck. No one will pitch a fit if you're parked nose first and have your hood open. Checking your oil or changing your cam - it all looks the same to the nosy neighbor walking their Bichon Frise passing by behind you.
Accept that there are some jobs you just can't do there. Anything involving an engine hoist or welder unfortunately would fall in to that category. (I've gotten away using air tools, though).
Oh, and most important - sound travels in a condo/townhouse garage.... When you get an inevitable knucklebuster and call your beloved truck a "mother****ing piece of British Rover crap" at the top of your lungs; rest assured that 84 year old Mrs. Peabody taking out her recycling three parking levels above WILL hear you and promptly report you to the resident condo garage nazi-in-charge. Since the blurting of expletives is such an integral and therapeutic component of the Rover ownership experience, at least train yourself to be discreet and don't include the vehicle make or country of origin.......
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

hahaha great response Garth and good suggestions...sounds almost like you live in the same complex as I do.
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:18 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Donald - yup, our fellow D-90 brothers with garages will just never know our pain, huh? LOL.
G
Old April 1st, 2007, 02:04 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

When I finished school and moved out on my own I soon owned 3 cars. One was a hot rod Z 28, the other two were back up transportation. Seems like I never had more than one at a time running plus I raced a motorcycle and it always needed work.

After that phase I did only the most minor work on my own, shocks, belts, oil changes and the like.

Now it's like starting all over for me. I am trying to learn enough to get me off the trail when needed.

Follow-up Post:

Forgot to say, total value of all of the above was probaly less than $3000.
Old April 1st, 2007, 03:55 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
Donald - yup, our fellow D-90 brothers with garages will just never know our pain, huh? LOL.
G
Hey Garth can't wait to get into a house a solitary house again without a HOA or community watchdogs...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat