Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 1st, 2013, 11:07 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I'm wondering who has the craziest dog here? I can't figure mine out. He's almost 3 years old, and still has as much (if not more) energy as the day I got him. He had been great for a long time, but then about a month ago he started eating everything - blankets, sheets, etc. when we were away for work. We gave him 3 strikes that week then brought the crate back out after he tore apart a new blanket twice in one week. Then this week he ate through his STEEL CRATE, lost a tooth in the process, and somehow got out of the crate after breaking 1 of the 2 latches. I try to exercise him as much as I can, and bring him out for a 5+ mile run at least once a week, and we bring him for 2-3 walks a day. I don't know what else to do. Luckily he got all the way out of the crate as he could have easily suffocated if he got stuck, as the top latch was still engaged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2747399907.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	489.8 KB
ID:	83322   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1330023891.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	498.9 KB
ID:	83323  

Name:	image-3943335761.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	488.3 KB
ID:	83325   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1691893020.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	547.8 KB
ID:	83326  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2013, 11:17 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
Wow! Lots of energy. Sounds like separation anxiety also.
Old November 1st, 2013, 11:27 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Sounds like you are giving him lots of exercise. This time of year dogs can get a stir crazy. They sense the oncoming winter. Want to eat you out of house and home. Their bodies are saying pack on the pounds eat eat eat. They also get stronger mating instincts even if fixed.
I have a three year old golden and a six year old flat coated retriever. Had English setters and other golden retriever to.
Any of this making sense to you?
Any doggy day cares near you?
Are you feeding twice a day?
Retrievers take four years to settle into that dog you want to show off. Setters take six years to calm.
Put blanket over crate it calms them. They like the safety of a cave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2013, 11:36 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
My Boston was looking at me real funny the other day, I had to take some pictures just to make sure I wasn't crazy. Now I'm just afraid of him - I think he has powers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Creepy Tater 1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	83328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Creepy Tater 2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	83329  

Old November 2nd, 2013, 03:06 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
I think the doggy daycare is a good idea for you, if there's one that's pretty handy! Maybe just a few days a week would take the edge off further. If there's not one available, maybe you can locate a dog walker that that stop in and get him a few days each week for further exercise and stimulation!

I have a yellow Lab that was an absolute ball of energy when younger (until he was 6), but he's almost 8 yrs old now, and almost acts like a normal dog

Here he is after going swimming, and waiting to eat a few fries! Wo doesn't love McDonald's fries???

I think you're on the right track with the exercise, but if the extreme escape attempts keep happening and he gets more descructive, a visit to the Vet and talking about the issue and possibility of a medication may be in order...A buddy had to start medicating his Weimarner, just to keep him from hurting himself, since the separation anxiety got so bad...
Old November 2nd, 2013, 05:46 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Try a none grain diet. That helped out our dogs skin and calmed them down a little.
Here is a pic of our dog we had to put down. This dog had more personality than any dog I have ever owned. She opened up the pantry and ate a bag of sugar covered doughnuts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4274732599.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	83330  
Old November 2nd, 2013, 06:58 AM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
I can help Josh.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 07:18 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Josh, replace that cage with a Vari kennel. Like the blanket idea, the Vari has enclosed sides, small windows, and will feel like the dog's man cave. He will not be able to break out either. Dogs like that enclosed feeling and I don't see an open kennel providing that. I have one dog that has the roam of the house during the day and one that prefers the kennel. Makes for piece in the family (I.e., wife does not get mad at 'my' dog when we get home). Good luck. Mid day dog walker would help, too.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 07:22 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
Try a none grain diet. That helped out our dogs skin and calmed them down a little. Here is a pic of our dog we had to put down. This dog had more personality than any dog I have ever owned. She opened up the pantry and ate a bag of sugar covered doughnuts.
That's a good recommendation on the grain free. We feed him Grandma Mae's Country Naturals:

http://www.grandmamaes.com/frequently-asked-questions/

and I see that they have a no grain option. Probably going to have to special order that.

Haha on your dog eating all those donuts. Last year during the hurricane when we were all rationing food and thawing out frozen bread, he got into the thaw room and ate an entire bag of bagels, and a bag of English muffin flats.

I do love his crazy personality, and his energy level suits us for the most part as we like to be active, etc. It's just the devastation left behind when we're not around that causes issues. I definitely think it has to do with some level of separation anxiety.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 08:29 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

It's all about preventing those anxiety dysfunctions from the start. Once they root...well it's all bad. When I first got out of the military my first civilian job was training Security Canines. One thing for certain, previous conditioning and the consistency of any training plays a huge roll in it's make up. Think about the motivators. The Doggie Daycare should be your best option, as it seems the dog needs a release....maybe not in the form of activity...mental stimulation and training.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 09:44 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I think I found the problem. This is no ordinary canine we're talking about.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	xhuman_faced_dog_1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.40ce1qnIuS.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	83337  
Old November 2nd, 2013, 09:55 AM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
Wow, We adopted a dog that looks very similar to your's. Same thing happened with us. As soon as we leave the house it would get into things, pantry, garbage.......act out. She is full of energy. We tried the cage and our's ate thru as well. We even tried the doggie daycare. I think it made things worse. She would start seeing other dogs leave mid day and climb the chain link fence to escape. We feel it's the separation anxiety. Our vet prescribed Clomacalm. We give her 1/2 a pill in the am and the other 1/2 later in the day. Completely different dog. Actually well behaved and doesn't get into things. Vet said she should learn how to act normal over time. We do bring her to work everyday. She is never really left home for any extended periods of time. Good Luck!
Old November 2nd, 2013, 10:01 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
I think I found the problem. This is no ordinary canine we're talking about.
That's just wrong! lol...
Old November 2nd, 2013, 10:05 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Some extra thought. Put the crate in the corner of a room. They sleep lightly as part of their natural fear of being attacked. So putting it in a corner helps them know they won't be attacked from that angle.
Helps them build confidence in the crate. Use it when you are home. Use treats to reward when they go into the crate.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 10:39 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
1994 D90

Just watch some episodes from that dog "whisper" guy, Ceaser. I think thats his name, use to have a show on the discovery or national geographic channel. Had tons of good solid knowledge. He was not into any of the crap you see with other pet trainers. He would always say that the dog is a dog, not a human or small child and should be treated as such.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 11:05 AM
slangel
Staci V
2000 DII. Death by fallen tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Insanity.

My dog (6yr old Golden retreiver) is so mellow, he becomes a tripping hazard as he tends to lay in the middle of the walkway. His only bad habbit is he will run of if the trash man comes. He is fine with fed ex/UPS, utility companies, fire trucks. Its just the trash man, so we keep in in on trash day.

My 8yr old daughter tends to take advantage of his mellowness.

-Jeff
That is presh. I have a Ridgeless Rhodesian Ridgeback who is like that. Christian piles things on him, makes him haul things and Buddy rolls with it.

My german short hair who passed this summer would open the pantry and then open can cat food to eat. Bleh.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:38 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I hear you... I came home the other day only to find my dog trying to suffocate my girflriend.

Old November 2nd, 2013, 03:15 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
What about a second dog? My Boston and the Cur dog are fine when I leave them home together. If I leave and take one and not the other the one at home will lose his mind and cause all kinds of mischief. So maybe another puppy is the answer.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 03:34 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Doggie treadmill? To get out some of that extra energy..

http://www.cesarsway.com/dogtraining...out-Treadmills
Old November 2nd, 2013, 03:38 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I'm tellin' ya, mine are much better off together, my cur dog goes absolutly stir crazy without his little assclown buddy around.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat