Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 14th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

How are they...????

...getting in?

At the risk of turning my for sale post into a political rant, I'll start a new thread here.

I did notice that as soon as my truck's auction ended, a very new looking 130 showed up for sale. Clearly it's not a 1971.

My question is how are they getting in to the US? I know that there's a lot of VIN swapping, but I guess I'm just wondering how stupid customs really is?

For those of you who know, how are these trucks getting in? I hear the 'horror stories' of trucks being allegedly impounded, repossessed, crushed, re-exported, etc...but then I see others that aren't very sneaky.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2008, 11:23 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

That is like asking "How come you can buy drugs in nearly any US town." (if not all US towns more likely)

The import subject has been beat to death, we all know is legal and what isn't. Some folks don't care. More power to them if they can get them in. I see late model diesel stuff advertised all over the web that is already in the USA. We work on tons of Defenders that are registered as 60s and 70s cars and even some that have no DOT or EPA but are registered for what they really are.

Take a look at the Mini world... same thing. How many 1960's Minis came with AC and 13" wheels...

Customs is stupid on the subject, I think they have more important things to do IMO, but in the off chance they dig into your shipment you can get screwed.

Isn't that what keeps "laws" working... the threat, or risk, of the punishment.

If we want to get "technical" your truck is 100% illegal. According to DOT you have changed so much of the original vehicle that you would now need to apply for DOT certification as you have constructed a "new" car. This rule is totally bullsh*t IMO, because there is no legal back up for what constitutes a "new car" and what is a rebuild. The DOT gets to decide that if they come down on you.
Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with that at all, but those are the facts.

Even here in Maine if we change the frame on a SIIA 88 we are supposed to apply for a new title and VIN, because they class changing the frame in something as building a new vehicle. I don't agree I think it is a replacement part.

My point... you can drive yourself bat-sh*t with all the rules and regs. and its all BS. Do your thing.. be happy and hope what you like to do doesn't break too many BS laws.

Your truck didn't sell because you built it for you. Now you will have to search long and hard for another "you". Same thing happens with all cars. Build a wild-a$$ purplpe street rod out of an odd ball 4 door and you'll spend a ton of cash and likely end up with a car that only you think is cool. Take it to auction and you'll get pennies on the dollar. But, if you build a moderate 1932 Hi-Boy with a nice loook you can likely sell that for a lot more because more people will be interested.
Your truck is killer and I love it, but it is totally "you". Finding the other "you" with the cash and desire to buy it will be very hard to do, but you'll find a buyer, but its gonna take a while and advertising in the right places.

You need to tap into the crowd that buys those $300K Earth Roamer trucks somehow.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

No I'm not starting this thread to point out that I didn't sell my truck, what's legal, what's not, etc... You went there and that's OK.

I'm just curious about the actual technical ways that people get these trucks here in the first place. I'm not ignorant to the fact that they are here, or to the fact that I can buy drugs in nearly any US city. That is not the point. My question is how does customs work, what do they check, what don't they check, etc... Having not imported anything before, I'm not sure how this works, and how people get around it.

Weather my truck is legal or not, I don't care...that is not the point. If those trucks that are here are legal or not, I don't care either.

Yes the 'what's legal' thread is a dead horse twice-beaten, it was not my intent to revisit it. Maybe those who have a bit more knowledge than I about importing vehicles can shed some light into the interesting goings-on with customs.

No I'm not out to create a tutorial for how to bring an illegal vehicle into the country, just a little info on how they get here would satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks for the kind words about the truck. I like yours too, even if they are also '100% illegal'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
That is like asking "How come you can buy drugs in nearly any US town." (if not all US towns more likely)

The import subject has been beat to death, we all know is legal and what isn't. Some folks don't care. More power to them if they can get them in. I see late model diesel stuff advertised all over the web that is already in the USA. We work on tons of Defenders that are registered as 60s and 70s cars and even some that have no DOT or EPA but are registered for what they really are.

Take a look at the Mini world... same thing. How many 1960's Minis came with AC and 13" wheels...

Customs is stupid on the subject, I think they have more important things to do IMO, but in the off chance they dig into your shipment you can get screwed.

Isn't that what keeps "laws" working... the threat, or risk, of the punishment.

If we want to get "technical" your truck is 100% illegal. According to DOT you have changed so much of the original vehicle that you would now need to apply for DOT certification as you have constructed a "new" car. This rule is totally bullsh*t IMO, because there is no legal back up for what constitutes a "new car" and what is a rebuild. The DOT gets to decide that if they come down on you.
Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with that at all, but those are the facts.

Even here in Maine if we change the frame on a SIIA 88 we are supposed to apply for a new title and VIN, because they class changing the frame in something as building a new vehicle. I don't agree I think it is a replacement part.

My point... you can drive yourself bat-sh*t with all the rules and regs. and its all BS. Do your thing.. be happy and hope what you like to do doesn't break too many BS laws.

Your truck didn't sell because you built it for you. Now you will have to search long and hard for another "you". Same thing happens with all cars. Build a wild-a$$ purplpe street rod out of an odd ball 4 door and you'll spend a ton of cash and likely end up with a car that only you think is cool. Take it to auction and you'll get pennies on the dollar. But, if you build a moderate 1932 Hi-Boy with a nice loook you can likely sell that for a lot more because more people will be interested.
Your truck is killer and I love it, but it is totally "you". Finding the other "you" with the cash and desire to buy it will be very hard to do, but you'll find a buyer, but its gonna take a while and advertising in the right places.

You need to tap into the crowd that buys those $300K Earth Roamer trucks somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2008, 11:49 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

I don't have anything to add, but just a question, if you brought a defender 130 like the one in the ebay auction, is it legal to bring it in as long as it never touches public roads?
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

I think that is answered in the 'what is legal' thread in the stickies.
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:38 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawayama
I'm just curious about the actual technical ways that people get these trucks here in the first place. I'm not ignorant to the fact that they are here, or to the fact that I can buy drugs in nearly any US city. That is not the point. My question is how does customs work, what do they check, what don't they check, etc... Having not imported anything before, I'm not sure how this works, and how people get around it.

In our containers it is all about the paperwork. In large ports they will likely only look at the paperwork. If it is in order then in it comes. You could have put anything in there.
If they decide to look inside (don't know what triggers that.. bad paperwork, past imports, etc. I guess) then they will check the VIN against the paperwork and look over the vehicle.
Some of our containers have arrived with the seals still in place, some we have had to go to a bonded area and remove everything so that they could get a look at a vehicle or parts in the container.
In larger ports containers are x-rayed now, and I think all containers are now (not sure), but I do not know what they are looking for, but if you list the contents as parts and the x-ray is the outline of a vehicle then that will toss up a red flag I would think.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mike hit it on the head. As someone who has imported several trucks and now has a "feel" for things. In a large port where there is a line out the door @ the customs shack the officer who actually lets you "in" doesn't walk out to the truck. Keep in mind everything coming and going goes through customs- ie long lines of truck drivers. With the right paper work and more testical fortitude than I have, I could certainly see how this happens. Funny Mike should bring up mini's, there are four or five early mini's sitting in Baltimore that didn't "make it out" and are sitting there rotting away.
My brother brought in a tdi engine setup this month and that container was x-rayed in Charleston. Funny thing is the x rays that they zing a container with would kill a human if the conatiner was filled with imigrants. Lot of gamma there.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Hmmm....very interesting.

Thanks for the education.
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:25 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

There is an 800 number and some guy from Canada drives it in and you fly him home. Very hush hush.

You want the number?

Click

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:00 AM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Thumbs up

That was a worthy 999th post Mike--you keep things interesting around here. For you're 1000th post, may I suggest a celebratory ECR give away to the person who pointed out your 999th post... maybe a commemorative ECR t-shirt or some ECRox sliders!

Kidding aside, thanks for you're continued contributions...
Old March 15th, 2008, 05:23 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcscharfe
That was a worthy 999th post Mike--you keep things interesting around here. For you're 1000th post, may I suggest a celebratory ECR give away to the person who pointed out your 999th post... maybe a commemorative ECR t-shirt or some ECRox sliders!

Kidding aside, thanks for you're continued contributions...
you should have gone big with that one and asked for a commemorative beach runner 110!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat