Hot pressure washing in Northern Virginia? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old January 31st, 2014, 11:24 AM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Online
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,527
Registry
Hot pressure washing in Northern Virginia?

It would be nice to remove the crust of motor oil, diesel, mud, dust and soot caked around my 200tdi. It's especially more of an issue now that every other part of the truck (including driveshafts, transmission and transfer case) is extremely clean.

I've tried spray-on degreaser as well as cold pressure washing, but the only thing that works for removing the stuff so far is brake cleaner (which usually has enough in a $2 can to clean about 3 square inches), gasoline (boom) or acetone (the safest alternative) coupled with a bristle brush. Simple green also works extremely well, but only in immersion applications.

That's a little difficult for me to achieve without removing the engine and quite frankly a bit dangerous, so I'm wondering if anyone knows where a hot pressure washing facility is in the Northern Virginia area. I know that there are some places in Baltimore that handle washing of Semitrucks that have hot pressure washes, but it's a long drive up to Baltimore just for that service.

Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old January 31st, 2014, 11:25 AM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,078
Registry
rent one
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 31st, 2014, 11:35 AM
bradfordish's Avatar
bradfordish
Status: Offline
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Scarif
Posts: 421
Registry
Ed, if you rented one I'd go in on that with you as I'd like to do some cleanup as well.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old January 31st, 2014, 11:38 AM
jafir's Avatar
jafir
Status: Offline
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centerton, AR
Posts: 1,580
Registry
car wash?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 31st, 2014, 11:39 AM
Jymmiejamz's Avatar
Jymmiejamz
Status: Offline
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,468
Registry
I find the best way to do it is using a brush and brake clean. I always clean blocks when they are in the vehicle while doing head gaskets or other major repairs.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 31st, 2014, 11:52 AM
Holiday's Avatar
Holiday
Status: Offline
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hamilton, VA
Posts: 456
Registry
Ed- I own one that you and Brad are welcome to use. It's HEAVY (~600 lbs) so you'd need to do it over at my place. I'd also recommend waiting until it warmed up a little! Power washing in freezing temperatures is not cool. Give me a shout to coordinate.

Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
It would be nice to remove the crust of motor oil, diesel, mud, dust and soot caked around my 200tdi. It's especially more of an issue now that every other part of the truck (including driveshafts, transmission and transfer case) is extremely clean.

I've tried spray-on degreaser as well as cold pressure washing, but the only thing that works for removing the stuff so far is brake cleaner (which usually has enough in a $2 can to clean about 3 square inches), gasoline (boom) or acetone (the safest alternative) coupled with a bristle brush. Simple green also works extremely well, but only in immersion applications.

That's a little difficult for me to achieve without removing the engine and quite frankly a bit dangerous, so I'm wondering if anyone knows where a hot pressure washing facility is in the Northern Virginia area. I know that there are some places in Baltimore that handle washing of Semitrucks that have hot pressure washes, but it's a long drive up to Baltimore just for that service.

Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 31st, 2014, 01:00 PM
bradfordish's Avatar
bradfordish
Status: Offline
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Scarif
Posts: 421
Registry
Ross, thanks for the awesome offer. I'll bring some beer. When is good for you? I'm in no real hurry.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 31st, 2014, 01:02 PM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Online
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,527
Registry
Wow, thanks Ross, that's a very generous offer.

As soon as the tranny is rebuilt and the truck is back on the road, I will definitely take you up on it (and I'll bring some pizza if Bradford can wait )
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old January 31st, 2014, 02:04 PM
Rocky's Avatar
Rocky
Status: Offline
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colonies Aka Boston
Posts: 8,767
None of the local DIY car washes have anything that will touch the diesel grime?
__________________
A friend of mine runs a land rover / range rover specialty repair shop. Based on his experience, they are capable of stopping anywhere, anytime, at any cost.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old January 31st, 2014, 02:05 PM
Holiday's Avatar
Holiday
Status: Offline
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hamilton, VA
Posts: 456
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaughva View Post
Ross, thanks for the awesome offer. I'll bring some beer. When is good for you? I'm in no real hurry.

Brad, if you can wait for Ed- we'll plan on doing it one weekend this Spring. Otherwise- the two of you are welcome to use it most any weekend I'm in town.

------ Follow up post added January 31st, 2014 12:09 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
None of the local DIY car washes have anything that will touch the diesel grime?
They probably would, but I will say that pressurized, high temp water is much more effective at removing grime (faster too). It only takes one use to become a believer.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old January 31st, 2014, 02:23 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,624
Registry
Can I get in on this deal? I have an lt230 I'd like to get a little cleaner.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old January 31st, 2014, 02:55 PM
down_shift's Avatar
down_shift
Status: Offline
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 4,118
Registry
Ross, do you have an oil separator or other means to clean up all the gunk? Don't tell us that you just do your scrubbing at Dro's. ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old January 31st, 2014, 02:56 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Online
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,231
Registry
The water is not hot at your car washes?
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old January 31st, 2014, 02:58 PM
down_shift's Avatar
down_shift
Status: Offline
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 4,118
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The water is not hot at your car washes?
The coin-op in Leesburg is. Frequent that place all the time in the summer.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old January 31st, 2014, 02:59 PM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Online
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,527
Registry
Most places I have seen in the US wash with ground temp water, in addition to being filtered/recirculated.

------ Follow up post added January 31st, 2014 03:02 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
The coin-op in Leesburg is. Frequent that place all the time in the summer.
Really? The kind of hot pressure wash we are referring to is at 200 degrees fahrenheit at the nozzle...i've never seen a DIY place with a machine like that...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old January 31st, 2014, 03:03 PM
down_shift's Avatar
down_shift
Status: Offline
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 4,118
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Most places I have seen in the US wash with ground temp water, in addition to being filtered/recirculated.
And nothing more than filtered salt water during the winter.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old January 31st, 2014, 03:40 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Online
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,231
Registry
It is nice to be really hot, but the washes here are probably 140 F and you can clean everything to bare metal in seconds.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old January 31st, 2014, 03:47 PM
down_shift's Avatar
down_shift
Status: Offline
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 4,118
Registry
Thanks to Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants, nothing is 'hot' in the states anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old January 31st, 2014, 10:21 PM
Holiday's Avatar
Holiday
Status: Offline
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hamilton, VA
Posts: 456
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Can I get in on this deal? I have an lt230 I'd like to get a little cleaner.
You know it.

------ Follow up post added January 31st, 2014 08:27 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Ross, do you have an oil separator or other means to clean up all the gunk? Don't tell us that you just do your scrubbing at Dro's. ;-)
Nah, afraid I'm not as sophisticated as the Dro in the oil sep category...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
virginia

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
300 Tdi Egt Q?????? Buckon37s Defender Technical Discussions 37 July 11th, 2012 11:26 AM
Northern Virginia Happy Hour Abrooks Trips, Trails and Events 124 February 16th, 2008 08:03 AM
Northern Virginia Happy Hour Bozman Trips, Trails and Events 163 November 6th, 2007 07:18 PM
Northern Virginia Car Show Abrooks Trips, Trails and Events 50 September 24th, 2007 09:13 AM
d90 won't start after pressure washing Bruce Brown Defender Technical Discussions 13 January 23rd, 2007 09:48 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.


Copyright