Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 16th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
You may be right now that I look at it again. It looked like a D2 snorkel and the D2 rims when I looked at it quickly.
Im wondering why one is sitting at the port. I cannot imagine why someone would take a POS like that anywhere. The Wrangler I get. A wetnoodle like XJ? Not so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2013, 10:59 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Im wondering why one is sitting at the port. I cannot imagine why someone would take a POS like that anywhere. The Wrangler I get. A wetnoodle like XJ? Not so much.
Clearly the Jeeps are the personal vehicles of those two CBP officers, and the real reason why they are seizing all of these trucks is so that they can be the heroes of the campfire conversations at Jeep Jamboree 2013.
Old April 16th, 2013, 10:59 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
just a rough vin & parts# check on one piece front doors,

STC543 used till AA270226, lift up handle

ALR6257, used on AA270227 till 1A622423, 1987 till 2001 push botton handle

years are approx

------ Follow up post added April 16th, 2013 10:06 AM ------

Quote:
You may be right now that I look at it again. It looked like a D2 snorkel and the D2 rims when I looked at it quickly.
Sure its not a fourrunner?

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Clearly the Jeeps are the personal vehicles of those two CBP officers, and the real reason why they are seizing all of these trucks is so that they can be the heroes of the campfire conversations at Jeep Jamboree 2013.
Haha, clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
j
Sure its not a fourrunner?
Rubstrips give it away as a last iteration of the XJ.
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:39 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Yeah the safety angle is a hard pill to swallow. Sure, bring in that POS rust bucket with bad brakes and fluids dripping out of every orifice and we'll just give you a waiver! Good day to you sir, and don't worry we'll wipe up the drips once the smoke clears. Oh, you want to bring in a younger version of the exact same vehicle with a more refined drivetrain and interior improvements? Oh that can't be safe to have on the roads, and we can't have that!
To the letter of the law that seems to be the case and it seems totally idiotic. But the Defender is the only vehicle I can think of that it has such a long model run, is simplistic and can sell for some decent money/has a demand.

This is purely a guess but... for the CBP - I bet it is easy/straight forward work and they can look like studs containing them/holding them up. They just look for the Defender's coming in and if they look new or a quick check of the motor/VINs. Or they didn't give a shit until one of their bosses said give any Defender coming thru the complete treatment. Again, IDK for sure - just guesses as I think it's a little much for the scale.

------ Follow up post added April 16th, 2013 11:42 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Do I feel a LRNA conspiracy coming on?
I actually joked about that in the NC thread considering what LRNA went thru to clamp down on the use of the word Rover.
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
TAgain, IDK for sure - just guesses as I think it's a little much for the scale.
Probably to renew the precedent set in the past. Every now and again, they show up and enforce the laws. Skylines are memorable even to people who dont know what they are. People were bringing in VWs a little while ago. They took possession of a MKII Rallye Golf and shredded it. Its all about precedent. Reset the bar every now and again.
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Geez. 3 Land Rovers in one pic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cbpphot...7633218266967/

------ Follow up post added April 16th, 2013 10:00 AM ------

I've seen quite a few push button doors on 1988 trucks

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=42910

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=43603

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=41419

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=26408

and Doug confirmed they were introduced in 1988; Math: 2013-1988 = 25
I've hung around too many MOD trucks in my time. Warps the memory cells.......
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Kelbo
Kelly
'86 110

Registry
Quote:
Probably to renew the precedent set in the past. Every now and again, they show up and enforce the laws. Skylines are memorable even to people who dont know what they are. People were bringing in VWs a little while ago. They took possession of a MKII Rallye Golf and shredded it. Its all about precedent. Reset the bar every now and again.
My thoughts, as well.

'86 110

Former Rigs:
'94 D 90 ST
'84 D 130 Hi-Cap
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:55 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post

In addition to 'safety', they clearly take issue with the profit motive as well.

-Jeff
Does anyone have a approx number on what guys were making on the Puma rigs and what/how many were coming in? According to the article people were making $125,000 each vehicle ($150,000 sale price - $25,000 vehicle cost). I would think there were a lot more expenses than just the $25,000 vehicle cost (which I also think is low) and time/hassle to make this really a worthwhile venture for someone other than an enthusiast.

------ Follow up post added April 16th, 2013 11:59 AM ------

Quote:
So we'll just wait a year or so and they'll move on to the next snuck-in line of vehicles or are you saying there will be a new bar height and it will be like this here on out?

I'm not current with the Skylines/VW's so not sure where they are at import wise these days.
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:08 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
So the mystery is solved.
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:11 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
US Military bringing their POVs home from Europe in the course of a PCS move. Happens every day.
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:31 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Does anyone have a approx number on what guys were making on the Puma rigs and what/how many were coming in? According to the article people were making $125,000 each vehicle ($150,000 sale price - $25,000 vehicle cost). I would think there were a lot more expenses than just the $25,000 vehicle cost (which I also think is low) and time/hassle to make this really a worthwhile venture for someone other than an enthusiast.
How much effort and cost is there really in just putting a galv chassis on a newer vehicle and swapping the VIN plate? That is what they are after but the easiest way to prevent the problem from happening is to just assume anything appearing rebuilt is not original or original equivalent.

Anybody that works for any government agency or related entity knows how they operate. They come up with a plan to attack a problem that usually is not perfect or the most accurate but gets the desired results based on whatever metrics they selected. It is probably significantly easier and cheaper to blanket reject anything that might resemble a newer VIN swapped vehicle because they don't have to waste time figuring out that it is legitimately rebuilt. That is also the easiest way to ensure the vehicle is not VIN swapped. Who would swap a VIN plate to another rusted out truck? Most people seem to think that CBP/DHS do not know what they are doing, but they are succeeding in their objective which they outlined in that article/bulletin posted earlier in this thread.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old April 16th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Not quite sure what you mean by that.

As for Land Rover imports, those push button doors weren't introduced 25 years ago. That's an easy way of spotting modifications to the vehicle and encourages CBP a division of DHS to look a a particular vehicle further.
yeah they were. introduced in 87 and on all the 88 county's. See post 12 in this thread.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
US Military bringing their POVs home from Europe in the course of a PCS move. Happens every day.
Talking about Military wonder if 85Red110 has an update.
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Nothing better to do with out tax dollars.
Old April 16th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
So we'll just wait a year or so and they'll move on to the next snuck-in line of vehicles or are you saying there will be a new bar height and it will be like this here on out?

I'm not current with the Skylines/VW's so not sure where they are at import wise these days.
Eh, who knows. The Skylines cases are seriously twisted. If youre looking for an entertaining story involving DOT, EPA, crime, etc..., read the attached story.

The VW one I am trying to find. If I remember correctly, guys were bringing in Rallye Golfs which were supercharged, syncro, wide body MKII Golfs used to homologate. People were VIN swapping, etc... to get them in. A couple slipped by and a guy in New York had one. The importer had done some questionable work to get it in. The NY DMV caught wind and he was ordered to surrender the shell for destruction. He was able, however, to keep some of the drivetrain as it was available in the US in other VW products. I think he got off lightly in that regard. If the postings by him on the interwebs are to be believed, they offered in court arbitration but he was looking at at least $10k in legal fees that he didnt feel like paying. Pictures are pretty brutal because it was a very nice car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0-60MRex03.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	70228   Click image for larger version

Name:	0-60MRex04.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	70229  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0-60MRex05.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	70230   Click image for larger version

Name:	0-60MRex06.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	70231  

Old April 16th, 2013, 02:38 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:

I feel that is clearly off but inflated by the highest number they saw. What about al the 15k Defenders? those seem like more of the average.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:29 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

I remember a few years ago there was a guy with a VW golf rallye that customs/nys DMV demanded he surrender or face jail time. He gave them a cut up bare frame with all the syncro bits removed so he could graft them onto a mk2 donor car..

found the thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...rallye+customs

Old April 16th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Believe it or not we actually ship US manufactured goods out. That said, @ most US ports, vehicles out bound are usually parked pointing towards the water and arriving pointing inland (longshoreman aren't known for their powers of reasoning so things are kept simple). Those two trucks are pointed the same direction as the arriving 110 so more than likely returning military as Chris suggests.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 16th, 2013, 04:47 PM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

The take-away I have from the threads is:

1. Import with a pro like Doug. Pay him and avoid trouble. Upgrade/fix in the USA.

2. Do NAS stuff. Upgrade with these same shops.

Just keeping it legal seems so much better than getting the attention of the federal government. Pay the taxes needed. Keeps the labor and such in the USA and having people skilled in the country is good for our side of the pond.

I am sorry for the person in limbo in one of the threads. The whole mess is silly and unfair...some seem to get away with whatever and others not a bolt.

Jeff
110 hybrid (from a 90) NAS Defender "Oates" #1597
2002 D2 SE "Very Disco" (sold)
1993 RRC LWB "The Beast" (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat