Horrific Accident with a military Hamvee. Could this happen to a Defender? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 15th, 2016, 01:20 AM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

Horrific Accident with a military Hamvee. Could this happen to a Defender?

Army Reserve soldiers injured after Humvee flips over on New Jersey Turnpike | Daily Mail Online

My prayers with her..

Since the land rover has a higher center gravity is it more likely to flip over if any of the front tires blow out on high speeds, if you couldn't control the vehicle somehow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2016, 01:33 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Probably. Mitigate the risk with E-Load big meat tyres at a minimum and keep both hands on the wheel. Praying can't hurt.

And my prayers are with her, too. Wheel was found 40' away? Blow out and blown off? Sounds more like shoddy mechs didn't load the lugs right and they lost the whole damn rim! Blown tyres are easier to land than losing the wheel.

I was told it was better to lose a front tire than a rear. My parents ran over a spent 9mm shell on I-5 at 80mph. Front tire threw it at the rear. Not a flat, but a fast hole bang. Les Schwab said they were lucky to land it, and that it's easier if you lose the front as its controllable.

Albeit, everything changes when you're talking about a tall tire, not a zr.
Old April 15th, 2016, 01:42 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Holy shit.

Those poor Soldiers. Feel really bad for that female.

I wonder if a proper PMCS was done and if the PMCSer was properly trained and supervised.

That company commander is fucked.

That battalion commander is probably fucked.

As for our Defenders, sure, it could happen. Drive slow, and always do a full safety check of your truck before any road trip. Check your tires, wheels, brakes, look for brake fluid leaks, check TREs, signals. Those are just the minimums.

Question for anyone here with British military service: does anyone have the preventative maintenance and safety check manual (the equivalent of the US "-10" operators manual) for the military 110s? This would be a great resource for new owners to go through before road trips, since they're typically written so that even the most novice of operators can follow along and do a proper safety check.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2016, 05:59 AM
d110pickup
Mike Pado
'97 D90 ST #1153

Chris,
I have an MOD "Operators Manual" that I got off Ebay 8 or 10 years ago that probably contains that document. I'll find it and take a look.
If so I can try to scan the relevant pages and post it.
Mike

I'm not saying that stupid people should die . . . but maybe we could remove the warning labels & let nature take it's course.
Old April 15th, 2016, 07:52 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Question for anyone here with British military service: does anyone have the preventative maintenance and safety check manual (the equivalent of the US "-10" operators manual) for the military 110s? This would be a great resource for new owners to go through before road trips, since they're typically written so that even the most novice of operators can follow along and do a proper safety check.
^^^This. A MOD Land Rover -10, I would love something like that.

Failing that, I've got the MOD service worksheets from my 130. It's not a checklist because it doesn't proscribe service intervals, it just allows you to record work done. It never occurred to me that others could use it.

Old April 15th, 2016, 09:02 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I wonder how fast they were going. Do reservists regularly drive door less humvees on the turnpike?

Regardless of COG, the ability to survive a blowout is directly correlated with speed at the time the blowout occurs. This is why the safest thing you can do in a Defender is drive slowly.
Old April 15th, 2016, 09:14 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Geez they're saying they amputated the female reservist's leg at the scene
Old April 15th, 2016, 09:25 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
This is why the safest thing you can do in a Defender is drive slowly.
I couldn't agree more... I'm always blown away when I read about folks on here saying they were 'cruising at 70' in their defender. Tall tires+high COG means high likelihood of rollover/high side in the event of a catastrophic blowout.

Like most hmmwv accidents, the investigation will almost certainly reveal that speed was a factor. Those trucks don't like to go fast - probably best reserved for pushing out of the kill zone but that's it.

------ Follow up post added April 15th, 2016 09:28 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Genius idea - I would love to see this. If not it would be a fun product to develop. Because I don't get enough jokes from soldiers every time they see me pop the hood and do a walk around every single time I move the truck... I clearly need a TM and dispatch binder to go with it.

Old April 15th, 2016, 09:29 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
It looks like the whole spindle came off. If it was a blown tire the wheel would still be there. It's a known safety issue with the HMMWVs and there is a newer updated spindle lock nut/washer available. I hope that is not the case because this could have been prevented. Poor girl.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 15th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Notice that the rt front wheel, tire have gone MIA.

No ROPS on soft skin Humvees?
Old April 15th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

Quote:
Originally Posted by d110pickup View Post
Chris,
I have an MOD "Operators Manual" that I got off Ebay 8 or 10 years ago that probably contains that document. I'll find it and take a look.
If so I can try to scan the relevant pages and post it.
Mike
mike, that would be great if you can find the operators manual.
Old April 16th, 2016, 01:06 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

If someone can get me the manual, I will host it on my server and put a link up.

/
/
/
/
Old April 16th, 2016, 01:36 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

I hope you guys seen this.

And the aftermath and I want to warn you this is real shiz and if you don't want to see reality don't click it.

Defender and it's safety standard is not up there with modern vehicles. We all know that.
Old April 16th, 2016, 01:43 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Whoa. Good lord. For a second there I thought maybe a LHD driver might have survived it, but that was it for the lot.
Old April 16th, 2016, 01:50 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Underpowered engines on Defenders are a safety feature, IMO.

Body is on the frame but the body itself has very little structure. This is the video that triggered me to get full cage. I still don't have much confidence.
Old April 16th, 2016, 02:16 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Keep in mind the Sri Lanka accident was, well, Sri Lanka-traffic there is extraordinary and the safest element of it is most of the time people aren't going that fast. When the do, well, there you have it. Operator error started that and the end result is what happens when one smaller object meets two larger objects-unless they too were in a bus or a dump truck any vehicle would like have had a similar fate.

That goes back to the above comment-want to be safe in a Defender? Don't go fast. HMMWV is more/less the same, the faster you go the worse it gets. Safety is better in the MATVs b/c of the seating and seat belts, but the HMMWV is ancient in terms of design and thus also in terms of safety considerations which are secondary given its role.

Cold comfort for the poor soldiers who were just trying to go from point A to B of course.
Old April 16th, 2016, 05:44 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

LRNA paid a penalty for each NAS Defender as they lacked side impact beams (for a start). Fast forward (sorry- bad pun) to current LS3 conversions. Imagine ROW trucks sans any sort of cage with 4-500 hp...

Old April 16th, 2016, 07:23 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
The front left parted from my D90 at 45 mph or so. Wheel spacer came off the hub. There is a pic posted someplace. If you find yourself in this situation, ride it out. Don't jamb on the brakes to only further disrupt the balance.
Old April 17th, 2016, 12:32 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

So sad. I hope all the soldiers make it. One of my friends rolled his Jeep off the road a couple weeks ago. He had three others with him. It totaled the Jeep, but they all made it out with basically no injuries. Pretty amazing. It happened just after he lifted it. It makes me think raising the center of gravity could have definetly had something to do with it. I'm keeping my Defender stock height.
Old April 17th, 2016, 12:37 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
The front left parted from my D90 at 45 mph or so. Wheel spacer came off the hub. There is a pic posted someplace. If you find yourself in this situation, ride it out. Don't jamb on the brakes to only further disrupt the balance.
Also, don't run spacers or any other glam garbage.

Glad you made it out ok.

/
/
/
/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, defender