Horrific Accident with a military Hamvee. Could this happen to a Defender? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 17th, 2016, 01:15 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Also, don't run spacers or any other glam garbage. Glad you made it out ok.
Seriously! Glad you landed it!

And in reference to that horrific 110 sandwich. It's been playing in my mind all day. I watched it a few times, though only saw the second carnage video once. More than enough.

As much as it disturbed me, I was actually, in the end, taking away a bit of appreciation for the drivers of the buses! Because the news could have read:

"a Sri Lankan commuter bus carrying 23 passengers veered off the road, in an effort to avoid oncoming traffic, and destroyed two roadside homes killing all inhabitants including three children playing in the front yard. Although the passengers of the bus were not seriously injured, many were taken to local hospitals, while the bus driver, a 22 year veteran of the transit company, a husband and father of three, is facing manslaughter charges while the supposed silver 5 door suv that initiated the incident has yet to be located. The police are asking the public for any leads on this matter."

Instead, two professional bus drivers, who really understood physics, spatial dynamics and their role in keeping their passengers safe while on their journey from point A to B, simple said to themselves: " well this guy's FU€KúD!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2016, 01:27 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
It's just that it's always the innocent that wind up victims of idiots. It usually breaks my heart. The only thing that breaks my heart here are the passenger/s of the 110 life/lives lost, and the poor vehicle itself, piloted by an idiot! "It was a blind corner on a two lane road in wet conditions in an aluminum vehicle with meager acceleration!" What were you thinking? Buses can break, and they did try, but big trucks don't stop on a dime and I'm glad that they didn't swerve and cause collateral death and damage. Those were pro's.
Old April 17th, 2016, 08:56 AM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer
66 IIa 88 Perkins powered

Registry
The right reaction or lack there of on a front tire blow out is the key. I have had one on my 110 at about 70mph. not hitting the brake and just letting it roll to a stop is what I did , now if the whole wheel tears off like it looks like on this H1 then your really hosed as the entire truck is going to spin and stop instantly on one side. lack of service, maintenance will most likely be the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2016, 08:58 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
It looks like the whole spindle came off. If it was a blown tire the wheel would still be there. It's a known safety issue with the HMMWVs and there is a newer updated spindle lock nut/washer available. I hope that is not the case because this could have been prevented. Poor girl.
We used to call it a sider ring. It wasn't uncommon in the 90s to find one that had been reused multiple times and had missing "legs" I can only assume sometimes legs were reused by crappy mechanics leading to accidents like this, where the whole hub comes off.

When I was a Motor Sergeant back in the day I'd have the TAMMS guy add Spider Ring as an annual replacement service.

Doors are there too. They are only held in place by gravity and nylon.

Old April 17th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Thus is a huge bummer but is the second accident I can remember recently on the turnpike with reserve/guard units.

Frankly these guys don't drive the vehicles enough to warrant them on the highway. That poor girl probably daily drives a vw jetta
Old April 17th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Agree that the spindle is gone.

But what we can't tell is whether the spindle separated causing the accident or separated when the Humvee flipped and landed on that wheel causing the separation.
Old April 17th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

The army reserve soldiers were most probably driving something similar to the one in this video.

,, it sure has a good take off.

Do they even come with roll cages? The humvee that fliped didnt come with a roll cage.

The 2 videos that Michael posted, speechless. All the members here made great points.

I know that a full roll cage is a must and driving slow with the rover is a must X2.
Old April 17th, 2016, 11:41 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Agree that the spindle is gone. But what we can't tell is whether the spindle separated causing the accident or separated when the Humvee flipped and landed on that wheel causing the separation.
You have a point there. I had originally said that I believed the whole wheel coming off had caused the accident. But with the accident report stating that the wheel was found (only) 40' away, I believe that the wheel would have travelled much farther for the scene at those speeds had it come of prior to the flip.
Old April 17th, 2016, 12:49 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Seriously! Glad you landed it! And in reference to that horrific 110 sandwich. It's been playing in my mind all day. I watched it a few times, though only saw the second carnage video once. More than enough. As much as it disturbed me, I was actually, in the end, taking away a bit of appreciation for the drivers of the buses! Because the news could have read: "a Sri Lankan commuter bus carrying 23 passengers veered off the road, in an effort to avoid oncoming traffic, and destroyed two roadside homes killing all inhabitants including three children playing in the front yard. Although the passengers of the bus were not seriously injured, many were taken to local hospitals, while the bus driver, a 22 year veteran of the transit company, a husband and father of three, is facing manslaughter charges while the supposed silver 5 door suv that initiated the incident has yet to be located. The police are asking the public for any leads on this matter." Instead, two professional bus drivers, who really understood physics, spatial dynamics and their role in keeping their passengers safe while on their journey from point A to B, simple said to themselves: " well this guy's FU€KúD!"
The problem with driving in many of those countries is they drive feeling that divine intervention will protect them.

Those of us who have backpacked through some of these crowded countries and taken minibuses (minivans on car frames) loaded with 10 to 14 people and luggage between small towns are are usually thankful we made it to our destination without incident.

The more people they can put in a van designed for 8, the more money they make. The faster they drive , the more trips they can make.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, defender