Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 10th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Gas_Donkey
Julian
D110 Series 3 & Santana 2500

Registry
Honest opinions needed on my 90

Hi all. I have sold quite a few 109 LWB cars and this the first 90 I have sold. The 109's have gone very fast with minimal things done to them. However I have spent loads of time and money on the 90 that I have up for sale. In my opinion it is a stunning condition and good looking Truck. LHD as well low miles. No rust either as it is from Spain. So why no interest on eBay or here? Price too high? It is half the price of an NAS nearly half the price of a lesser cream car that is currently on eBay. Although i think he is living in Cuckoo land if he thinks he is going to get that. I have provided tons of photos videos etc. What's going on?

Search Gas Donkey Land Rover on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Gas_Donkey
Julian

Registry
Yep that one.

Old March 10th, 2015, 02:29 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My $0.02 (which just sort of aligns with my personal preferences):
- people prefer NAS 90s over ROW 90s (safety, aesthetics, etc)
- people are more likely to purchase a ROW 110 over a NAS 110 (bottom line...price, but I prefer the look of a ROW 110 anyhow)

The above, coupled with the sight-unseen thing if it's out of country (and the import shenanigans over the past year or so)...but that said, it does seem like a very nice vehicle from a condition standpoint. You may just have to wait it out, or drop a little bit down in the teens for price (versus $20-ish).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Gas_Donkey
Julian

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
My $0.02 (which just sort of aligns with my personal preferences):

The above, coupled with the sight-unseen thing if it's out of country (and the import shenanigans over the past year or so)...but that said, it does seem like a very nice vehicle from a condition standpoint. You may just have to wait it out, or drop a little bit down in the teens for price (versus $20-ish).
Differences, an external Roll cage and some bigger lights on plinths?
I have tried to cover the sight unseen bit with a Video Tour around the vehicle plus a 17 minute test drive on an extremely windy mountain road. I know how scary the buying unseen thing can be but I have a good feedback from all my customers on their cars. I personally believe that you would have to go a very long way to find a 90 NAS or ROW spec as good as this. Plus look at how many LHD's come along. Not that many. I would drive it coast to coast in the states.

Old March 10th, 2015, 02:39 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
With the current import crackdown many people are very gun shy about importing, and that limits the market. Lets face it. The reason the price for an 87 D90 is what it is is the opening of the US market under the 25yr rule exemption.

-Jeff
Yeah exactly. What is that thing worth in Spain or anywhere else besides the US?

The truck doesn't look bad. Those stickers on the doors catch my eyes a bit too much, and I personally dislike the black roof thing, but otherwise not a bad truck. Although it's priced at half of some NAS D90s, your price is really at the very cusp of NAS D90 ownership money for a regularly used, perhaps higher miles example here. That's likely your issue. People see the price and are forced to think "hmmm $3-4k more and I could just wait it out and search diligently for a NAS D90."
Old March 10th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Gas_Donkey
Julian

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
With the current import crackdown many people are very gun shy about importing, and that limits the market. Lets face it. The reason the price for an 87 D90 is what it is is the opening of the US market under the 25yr rule exemption.

-Jeff
I can understand that from a UK car but Spain is a different case. We cannot do engine swaps, chassis etc. Ringing is un-heard of here.

Old March 10th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...les-60497.html

IMO. Too many modification for people to feel safe it will get through customs. If it was in the USA and titled, it would probably sell.

No idea if the price is too high or not for the USA. In Canada, it would be too high.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 10th, 2015, 02:44 PM
bennett
Bennett
'97 Defender 90 Soft Top #1140

Registry
my thoughts

1) It has only been two days since you posted on here. Patience.
2) Great looking truck, but if I were going to buy a non-US truck, bring it over, deal with customs, etc., they aren't hard to find for less $$$, and I could spend the difference on the mods I wanted vs. what you have put into this one. Import it, get it registered in the US, and you'll have an entirely different customer base. Plus, mods like a new grill may not affect anything real, but they do raise flags at customs, which isn't what you want.
3) Concur with Jason. I don't know many who would want a wagon and not just go ahead with a 110.

I do think it's a good looking truck, and if it were sitting in the US with local plates, it wouldn't be for sale for more than an hour in my neck of the woods.
Old March 10th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Gas_Donkey
Julian

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennett View Post
1) It has only been two days since you posted on here. Patience.
2) Great looking truck, but if I were going to buy a non-US truck, bring it over, deal with customs, etc., they aren't hard to find for less $$$, and I could spend the difference on the mods I wanted vs. what you have put into this one. Import it, get it registered in the US, and you'll have an entirely different customer base. Plus, mods like a new grill may not affect anything real, but they do raise flags at customs, which isn't what you want.
3) Concur with Jason. I don't know many who would want a wagon and not just go ahead with a 110.

I do think it's a good looking truck, and if it were sitting in the US with local plates, it wouldn't be for sale for more than an hour in my neck of the woods.
Hence why I have not painted it up underneath or around any screw areas. I know what they are looking for on arrival. Upon arrival anyone can see that it is an original truck then look at the paperwork, Oh yes, it's from Spain that explains the condition.
Could you find a truck that is LHD in this condition though? ;-) RHD maybe.

Old March 10th, 2015, 03:12 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas_Donkey View Post
I can understand that from a UK car but Spain is a different case. We cannot do engine swaps, chassis etc. Ringing is un-heard of here.
no-one here knows that ... and to be honest even if it's true no-one believes it...

Like many said if it were in the US and had plates it would likely sell easily.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old March 10th, 2015, 03:13 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
what's it worth in spain?
Old March 10th, 2015, 03:15 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
no-one here knows that ... and to be honest even if it's true no-one believes it...

Like many said if it were in the US and had plates it would likely sell easily.
Trucks not stateside are basically a non-starter for most people as the horror stories are real. And any search about 'defender import' will no doubt produce articles about the recent seizures in the US. That's your main problem.

The alternative decals/paint scheme don't really resonate with the purists and enthusiasts stateside, that seems to be my experience anyway.
Old March 10th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Gas_Donkey
Julian

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
what's it worth in spain?
More than UK. LHD market down here is silly. Car is a very rare case on this age. Imported from Italy in 2002. There are no other eligible importable to USA Defenders. All Santana's.

------ Follow up post added March 10th, 2015 01:17 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
Trucks not stateside are basically a non-starter for most people as the horror stories are real. And any search about 'defender import' will no doubt produce articles about the recent seizures in the US. That's your main problem.

The alternative decals/paint scheme don't really resonate with the purists and enthusiasts stateside, that seems to be my experience anyway.
I get what you are saying there. However it is just copied from a 2014/15 model.

Old March 10th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post

Which means...the only buyers would be companies that import the trucks for re-sale. They are not buying $20000 trucks. They are buying sub $10000 trucks, importing them and selling them for >$20000. Trucks don't magically become expensive in the USA.

In Canada, top dollar for this would be $15000 and that is pushing it, here and registered. 90s are not that desirable.

Old March 10th, 2015, 03:30 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
More than UK. LHD market down here is silly. Car is a very rare case on this age. Imported from Italy in 2002. There are no other eligible importable to USA Defenders. All Santana's.
I hear ya. Well if the car is that rare there, and the LHD market there is silly, then you should have no issues getting $20k there. For someone to pay $20k here (which I personally see as quite generous) for a truck that isn't even here, then have to pay $3k or whatever to import it properly, plus inland transport, plus whatever time and fees I'm not including, I'd much rather have a NAS D90. Now if you had a NAS D90 for sale from Spain, maybe $20k would get some real interest, but right now you're asking *us* to pay you US market rate when in reality we should be paying you Spain market rate since that's where it is, and then deciding if the added tranport costs gets the truck here and titled for what other ROW 90s are going for that are already here.
Old March 10th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Gas_Donkey
Julian

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Which means...the only buyers would be companies that import the trucks for re-sale. They are not buying $20000 trucks. They are buying sub $10000 trucks, importing them and selling them for >$20000. Trucks don't magically become expensive in the USA.

In Canada, top dollar for this would be $15000 and that is pushing it, here and registered. 90s are not that desirable.
I think what you are missing out on here is Condition, condition is king especially on Defenders! Next are those $10,000 trucks LHD? Are they from Northern Europe? Salt? None of that here in the Med.

Old March 10th, 2015, 03:36 PM
SidewaysWaffle
Dan Capo

I just bought a ROW 90 a few months ago..

I'm sorry but I wouldn't of even considered a 90 not in the states already. Half the reason for paying a premium here is to buy something documented and titled already to eliminate risks as much as possible.

My opinion, if you have a friend here in the states, ship it to them and re-list it. I would've picked it up in a heartbeat then.. and probably for more money than your asking.
Old March 10th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Hardtimes
Russell Newhall
110dc, 110sw, 97 nas90 LE

Registry
I saw it on eBay and thought, that is a decent deal. Clicked on it and thought "oh its not stateside and whats with that paint job?" So I went back to looking. Change those two things and it sells in a day. In my opinion anyway.
Old March 10th, 2015, 03:53 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
I think what you are missing out on here is Condition, condition is king especially on Defenders! Next are those $10,000 trucks LHD? Are they from Northern Europe? Salt? None of that here in the Med.
You asked for advice. Now you are not listening to it. Also, your add says original and not restored. The body has been resprayed at some point before.
Assume the risk -- ship it to the states, title it, then relist for sale. Else, lower your asking price to the mid teens.
Clean truck. It will sell.
Old March 10th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
For $20000 (USD), I can buy a LHD 300TDI 110 station wagon in the same condition in Canada quite easily. I've seen ones sell for closer to $15000.

A TD 90 is really worth a lot less and would be a hard sell regardless of price.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags