Homeland Security took my 110 - Page 96 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 2nd, 2015, 01:05 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

Will,

Again thanks for all the effort and updates. In regard to the non filing of charges against the clients; Is is not the assumption(I know) by the gubment that the vehicle is guilty and not the owner and therefore it can be seized. Thus no charges against the owner?
Blog;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2015, 02:20 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Wasn't there a paypal set up this, so we can donate to the cause.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 02:30 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 95 RRC

Let's hold off on donations, I am working on something that will benefit everyone... Especially Will!!!
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2015, 02:47 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignotus View Post
Will, Again thanks for all the effort and updates. In regard to the non filing of charges against the clients; Is is not the assumption(I know) by the gubment that the vehicle is guilty and not the owner and therefore it can be seized. Thus no charges against the owner?
To be clear, I wasn't speaking of my clients. Rather, I was stating that no charges have ever been filed against the original importer in relation to this case. That being said, the government has stated in writing that my clients are not alleged to have committed any wrongs.

You are correct in so far as you're referencing the legal fiction that takes place in civil asset forfeiture cases. The "legal fiction" is treating the property (i.e., a Land Rover Defender) like it is a person. The Defender is accused by the government to have committed a violation of law. However, the Defender is not afforded the legal safeguards (i.e., Miranda Rights, etc.) that a real person is because......well, it isn't a real living breathing person. The Defender is also presumed guilty until proven innocent, and the owner has the burden of proof, requiring them to prove the vehicle's innocence by a preponderance of the evidence (i.e., more likely than not). Needless to say, the civil asset forfeiture proceeding is highly prejudicial to the Defender and its owner.

All this being said, I find it rather intriguing, and perhaps fitting, that these Defenders are treated as if they were real persons. I mean, let's be honest, some of y'all on here have had more meaningful relationships with your Land Rovers than with real people......am I right?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old May 2nd, 2015, 03:30 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I still have my land rover...but my wife left me...
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:14 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Will - civili forfeiture in general has become increasingly controversial and ripe for abuse. Any chance in your mind that this case might help the cause writ large? That would really be something if you were able to strike a blow for liberty and justice while you were saving Rovers.

Don't start wearing your underwear outside your pants though...

Old May 3rd, 2015, 07:26 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1 View Post
Wasn't there a paypal set up this, so we can donate to the cause.
Hey Tom, it is still there for those interested/willing to contribute: rgknepp@gmail.com and is solely for donations for Will and this case.

Also, Jay still has shirts available, and he would like to see them sold so he can recover both his space and cost- Thanks Jay for helping!!

Shayne- not again?!

Lastly, I have spoken with Brian, and he is up to something for Will. And while I do not know the details yet, I trust his intentions totally, and encourage support for his endeavor!!

As most of you know by now, Will is focusing on this full time. And by full time I mean w/e's in the law library, long nights, etc -as if he was making a huge salary with bonus. But alas, no salary or compensation package, and this is going to continue to be a very long and steep road for him. So, while the venue is of no interest to me, please support him in any way you feel appropriate. Several folks have given monies, and others have contributed tangible goods that have helped him with this endeavor- and we thank you one and all!!

Old May 4th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

Danny(Exfed),

A question for you; Can you give any insight as to why a vehicle with a replaced galvanized chassis can not be imported? As these vehicles age many overseas owners are routinely replacing the rusted out painted chassis with galvanized ones. It doesn't alter the overall age of the vehicle and would infact make it safer than having some rusted out framed vehicle hurtling(ha-ha) down the byways.

Thanks and welcome to the forum.
Blog;
Old May 4th, 2015, 10:07 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I'll jump in here... Because it now makes it indeterminable of the age and the legality of the vehicle... It could very easily be a stolen vehicle with all the components put onto a new chassis... It's like asking why can't I just change the frame of a gun... The frame IS what makes that gun THAT gun..
Old May 4th, 2015, 10:22 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Apples and oranges. It has never been determined that the frame Is the identity of a vehicle. The Toyota frame recall is a good counterpoint to that statement.

-Jeff
Exactly. If you replace a firearm frame you have a different firearm. If you swap out your LR frame for a galvy frame you don't need a new title with a new VIN.
Old May 4th, 2015, 10:24 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignotus View Post
Danny(Exfed),

A question for you; Can you give any insight as to why a vehicle with a replaced galvanized chassis can not be imported? As these vehicles age many overseas owners are routinely replacing the rusted out painted chassis with galvanized ones. It doesn't alter the overall age of the vehicle and would infact make it safer than having some rusted out framed vehicle hurtling(ha-ha) down the byways.

Thanks and welcome to the forum.
This isn't the intended thread for that discussion. There's the dedicated "what's legal" thread and others.
Old May 4th, 2015, 11:21 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
You are correct in so far as you're referencing the legal fiction that takes place in civil asset forfeiture cases. The "legal fiction" is treating the property (i.e., a Land Rover Defender) like it is a person.
OK I guess this means that you can import a Defender to Mexico or a more southern country, drive it across the Southern US border, then the Defender person automatically becomes an undocumented alien and is eligible to be be registered in a state that provides driver licenses to undocumented aliens.

Then the worse thing that can happen to the undocumented alien Defender is that it might get shipped to Mexico where it can be driven back across the US southern border which gives the owner more opportunity for off road travel.

BTW I saw Woman in Gold and give the ending a 3 hanky rating. A really good movie.

I do wish there was a way to reverse or modify "civil asset forfeiture". It has been documented that some law enforcement bodies use it as a license to steal. There needs to be some kind of due process of not illegal until proven to be illegal.

Old May 4th, 2015, 11:30 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
OK I guess this means that you can import a Defender to Mexico or a more southern country, drive it across the Southern US border, then the Defender person automatically becomes an undocumented alien and is eligible to be be registered in a state that provides driver licenses to undocumented aliens.

Then the worse thing that can happen to the undocumented alien Defender is that it might get shipped to Mexico where it can be driven back across the US southern border which gives the owner more opportunity for off road travel.

BTW I saw Woman in Gold and give the ending a 3 hanky rating. A really good movie.

I do wish there was a way to reverse or modify "civil asset forfeiture". It has been documented that some law enforcement bodies use it as a license to steal. There needs to be some kind of due process of not illegal until proven to be illegal.
TeriAnn
I likes your thinking, but why import to Mexico? Buy a new one from Mexico City LR.

My street is full of undocumented aliens (illegals) and they get food stamps to boot.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 FHC
Old May 4th, 2015, 11:35 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
TeriAnn
I likes your thinking, but why import to Mexico? Buy a new one from Mexico City LR.
Big bucks! From the Mexico City LR dealership page:

Here are the prices for each model Land Rover Defender.

Defender 2014

Version
* Public Price $ USD
90 "SW SE Premium $ 58.900
110 "SW SE Premium $ 65.900

Defender 2015

Version
* Public Price $ USD
90 "SW SE Premium $ 59.900
110 "SW SE Premium $ 66.900

* Prices in US dollars, apply only to cash transactions. Ask about our financing plans in the Land Rover dealer of your choice Information subject to change without notice. If required mós details, please contact your local Jaguar
Old May 4th, 2015, 11:39 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
TeriAnn I likes your thinking, but why import to Mexico? Buy a new one from Mexico City LR. My street is full of undocumented aliens (illegals) and they get food stamps to boot.
You're failing to mention free healthcare and free education. Free everything.
Old May 4th, 2015, 11:41 AM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Look at your tax returns... It AIN't FREE!
Old May 4th, 2015, 11:44 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbull View Post
Look at your tax returns... It AIN't FREE!
It doesn't cost the immigrants anything. So it's free to them.
I just failed to mention our involvement. We are the benefactors.
Old May 4th, 2015, 11:51 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
Let's hold off on donations, I am working on something that will benefit everyone... Especially Will!!!
Brewie for president 2016?
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old May 4th, 2015, 03:36 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Nicely played sir....
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old May 4th, 2015, 05:43 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
That depends on his political leaning/party.

-Jeff
Give in to the dark side Brewie! F' the rebel scum.

Just remember Jajabinx and his Baltimore based Rainbow PUSH attorney are on the wrong side.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu