Homeland Security took my 110 - Page 95 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 14th, 2015, 01:47 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Did you actually read this entire thread or even a majority of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2015, 02:21 PM
DJExfed
Danny Johnson
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
And just like that... The thread is rejuvenated, wonder if Bill Cox's should be allowed back just to get us to 3000...
I'm use to that kind of negative stuff. As I said, I'd rather be racing vintage cars or painting. thanks for the thumbs up.

DJ
Old April 14th, 2015, 02:26 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
I only asked because my truck was taken and returned because of WillH's diligence. You didn't really offer an explanation for that scenario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2015, 02:33 PM
DJExfed
Danny Johnson
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Well that is scary!!! Using known swindlers for a source of the information you are using to base import judgments....
I said, my job was to make sure motor vehicles were Federally legal to import not quality control or a go between for the importer/buyer and the the exporter/seller. I had direct communication with NHTSA, the Vice Pres. of Jaguar Land Rover NA, the California Highway Patrol Investigators and the National Insurance Crime Bureau. I checked the information that Andy gave me with all of the above. It was spot on, as they say in England. I never used one source for any technical information that I needed. I was a professional about my work.

If any of you have a beef with LRUK/Arkonik that is apples and oranges to me. It's between you and Andy.

DJ
Old April 14th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Guys, whether you agree with ExFed or not, it sounds like he's who he says he is......and apparently he likes to talk and share his opinions. It's not like any other Federale has been open with us.
I know it's a charged issue, but I'd think twice before you get out your pitchforks. What if you wanted to bounce a legitimate question off of somebody who happened to work in the very department of DHS that impacts your import?
Old April 14th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJExfed View Post
All,

Yesterday I posted some information that got a lot of negative feedback. Some of you also gave me some very positive feed back and thanked me for the information, that was based on twenty-five years with CBP and over forty years in international trade. Most of the negative came from people that were venting anger in the wrong direction.

I have no personal knowledge of the facts and circumstances regarding the case at hand and that my comments were based on past experiences involving other imported vehicles in which I've assisted in the investigated.

As I said, I was trying to help. For those folks that think my previous job was a infringement of your FREEDOM, then they should have all of the counterfeit and dangerous auto parts that I helped keep out of MY country. One simple example of a counterfeit part is, oil filters with a counterfeit U.S. trademark on them that looked like the real thing but had no filter element in it at all. Think what that could do to your Defender.

If the majority of you want me to unsubscribe that's okay with me. I'd rather be racing or doing automotive art.

DJ
Danny,

Good afternoon and thank you for your follow-up in this open discussion. I very much appreciate you taking the time to come back to the forum and clarify your position with regards to the case at hand. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to speak with me yesterday afternoon in its regard. I think it is fair to say that we both have a much better understanding of each other's position.

To everyone else,

I would like you all to know that I believe DJexFed's intentions in posting his opinion here were honorable and meant to help those among you all who are considering importing a Land Rover in the future. I, like many of you, initially interpreted his post as stating that my client's vehicles were "illegal". However, Mr. Johnson conceded to me, as he has now to you all, that he has no knowledge of the facts and circumstances relating to the Land Rover vehicles involved in this case. Accordingly, his assertions regarding any illegality were not intended to be reflective of the vehicles currently involved, but only his experiences in the past with what he believed were similar investigations. I feel it is safe to say that not every case is the same.

I agree with Danny's assertions relating to the vast amount of confusion and misunderstanding relating to the facts, circumstances, and issues involved with this case. The truth of the matter is that only a very few people have an honest understanding of the case. As such, I would ask, as I have before, that everyone refrain from making speculations or other assertions which they are unable to support in its regard. Rest assured, the facts and circumstances of this case will come about and be known to all in due time. Until then, I simply ask for your patience.

Until that time, please know that my continued thanks goes out to you all for your support!

-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old April 14th, 2015, 02:38 PM
DJExfed
Danny Johnson
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyboyUpstate View Post
I only asked because my truck was taken and returned because of WillH's diligence. You didn't really offer an explanation for that scenario.
I talked to Will for over an hour last night. It seems he's doing an excellent job for those he is representing., Pro Bono no less. I'm lad to hear you got your truck back.

DJ
Old April 14th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJExfed View Post
I had direct communication with NHTSA, the Vice Pres. of Jaguar Land Rover NA...
You should read the thread. It is Land Rover NA that provided the false information to the filing for the seizure of these vehicle. This is a known fact and why many of the government was forced to return many of the vehicle. Determining that the information was false could have been done by anyone in five minutes. Quite obviously the agent in charge did not take any due care and attention.

Seriously. Go back and read and understand this complete case before offering any more opinions.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 14th, 2015, 02:42 PM
DJExfed
Danny Johnson
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
Danny,

Good afternoon and thank you for your follow-up in this open discussion. I very much appreciate you taking the time to come back to the forum and clarify your position with regards to the case at hand. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to speak with me yesterday afternoon in its regard. I think it is fair to say that we both have a much better understanding of each other's position.

To everyone else,

I would like you all to know that I believe DJexFed's intentions in posting his opinion here were honorable and meant to help those among you all who are considering importing a Land Rover in the future. I, like many of you, initially interpreted his post as stating that my client's vehicles were "illegal". However, Mr. Johnson conceded to me, as he has now to you all, that he has no knowledge of the facts and circumstances relating to the Land Rover vehicles involved in this case. Accordingly, his assertions regarding any illegality were not intended to be reflective of the vehicles currently involved, but only his experiences in the past with what he believed were similar investigations. I feel it is safe to say that not every case is the same.

I agree with Danny's assertions relating to the vast amount of confusion and misunderstanding relating to the facts, circumstances, and issues involved with this case. The truth of the matter is that only a very few people have an honest understanding of the case. As such, I would ask, as I have before, that everyone refrain from making speculations or other assertions which they are unable to support in its regard. Rest assured, the facts and circumstances of this case will come about and be known to all in due time. Until then, I simply ask for your patience.

Until that time, please know that my continued thanks goes out to you all for your support!

-
Will,

Thank you for clearing that up.. DJ
Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:05 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/01/us...some.html?_r=0

Interesting article in the NY Times this past week. It's worth noting that no criminal charges have ever been filed in regards to the importation of my clients' Defenders either.

Incidentally, the prosecutor named in the article, is the same Asst. U.S. Attorney that is representing the government in my clients' case. I was supposed to depose government agents this past week and next, but after receiving our notices the government moved the court for a protective order and a stay of discovery proceedings. It would appear that the government does not want me to depose its agents. One can only wonder why........

Quote:
Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:26 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Nice article. Can't say I'm surprised.

Will have you watched the movie Kill the Messenger yet? Great movie and the beginning made me think about this case.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1216491/pl...ef_=m_tt_ov_pl
Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:31 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
I'm glad you're doing this pro bono. I highly doubt any one person would be willing to pay to do the work you're doing. Sometimes I feel like the government and larger companies do certain things expecting nobody to stand up to them due to costs. I doubt they expected it in this case.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:55 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Nice article. Can't say I'm surprised. Will have you watched the movie Kill the Messenger yet? Great movie and the beginning made me think about this case. http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1216491/pl...ef_=m_tt_ov_pl
Josh,

I have not seen that movie, but I'll check it out. That being said, a good friend and fellow forum member insisted recently that I go see "Woman in Gold" starring Helen Mirren & Ryan Reynolds.

Woman in Gold (2015), Trailer #1 http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi278572569/

The movie is based on a true story. I understand now why he was insistent that I see it. And, I'm man enough to admit that I only teared-up twice while watching it in the theatre. There are some good parallels to our case and I've now actually encouraged my clients to go see it. I'd recommend the same to anyone.

Quote:
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:47 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
I'm glad you're doing this pro bono. I highly doubt any one person would be willing to pay to do the work you're doing. Sometimes I feel like the government and larger companies do certain things expecting nobody to stand up to them due to costs. I doubt they expected it in this case.
I think it's safe to say that the government never expected that all of the owners would come together to be represented by one attorney, let alone one who had professional experience with Land Rover and who was willing to undertake representation for free. I'm very proud to say that I represent these Land Rovers and their Owners.

Statistically speaking, my research revealed that historically some 85% of forfeiture cases have gone uncontested, meaning the owners of the property never even put up a fight. Now, this makes sense when you consider some property sought forfeited, like drugs and weapons, actually are illegal. On the other hand, some people quickly decide that the costs of fighting the forfeiture outweigh the potential benefits (i.e., the value of the property sought to be recovered). People in the remaining 15% of cases represent those whom take a stand to contest the forfeiture of their properties. But, from there it becomes a game of attrition. Nearly 2/3 of those cases (7%-8%of the total percentage) will walk away somewhere during the process due once again to costs. That leaves just 6% of the total percentage of cases remaining.....6%!

With this in mind, it becomes very easy to see how the government plays the odds. I've been involved with case since July of last year, so with 9 months now under our belts and with my legal costs not really being an issue, I feel safe in saying we've managed to position ourselves in the minority of forfeiture cases. And, this, in and of itself, is a pretty big accomplishment in my book. But, then again, I'm not done yet. To quote Sir Winston Churchill, "I'm here until the pub closes."

Quote:
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:08 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
And this one case outcome will establish precedent for so many to come!

Wolverines!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:11 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

So I ask this Will... Once you win, and I am sure you will.. can you and the owners be awarded damages or attorneys fees be awarded.. Would be nice to at least see some costs incurred by the government for their ill doings..

------ Follow up post added May 2nd, 2015 11:15 AM ------

I will agree with DJ that Arkonics or LRUKs trucks appear completely legal..(at least from my perspective of the 6 or so that I have had in my shop) ... But the stories I have heard from Savage Defender of his dealings with Andy Hayes are less than above board..
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:17 AM
javelinadave
-
-

It costs "the government" nothing. We the tax payers foot the bill and then some.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:21 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

A drop in the ocean when you compare it against the amount just ONE of your elected officials spends on himself.. At least this award would be going to someone that we actually know DID something for it..
Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:19 AM
Matt_110
Matt

I don't post much here, but have been "trolling" the forum since I moved back to the states (military type). I don't think there is another automotive community out there that would come together like LR owners, and Will you are the man. Thank you for helping these guys out.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:54 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
So I ask this Will... Once you win, and I am sure you will.. can you and the owners be awarded damages or attorneys fees be awarded.. Would be nice to at least see some costs incurred by the government for their ill doings..
Shayne,

I'm not one to "put the cart before the horse". We'll just have to wait until we arrive at that particular bridge before we cross it.

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu