Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 19th, 2015, 10:39 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Only problem fellas is unlike the real world where a law cannot be interpreted differently by two different parties.... The government agencies can interpret the law differently and will do so.

Basically, no new info here - what applies to the NTSB and the FHSA are different to the DHS.

Great find. But will not help to change bullshit laws by a bullshit bureaucracy.
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2015, 11:11 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

A real Gem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Now that this thread is back up, we should make sure to remember our roots. Remember why we know anything about the difference between 90s/110s/127s and Defenders. Thank you Harrie, you are missed. RIP
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2015, 11:11 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Old February 19th, 2015, 11:18 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumGTR View Post
This. Right here. THIS!
Quote:
wow, great find!
Are you the same Trevor who the article is written about?
http://jalopnik.com/meet-the-man-who...n-g-1493404343
Old February 20th, 2015, 11:12 AM
YumGTR
Trevor Cobb
1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
The DOT counsel letter has been on the internet for a decade and a half. There are several others, some posted linked in the "whats legal" thread. The problem continues to be that the law and enforcement/practice by CBP are @ odds. That is a common theme and Will is the first atty I have had that conversation with that is willing to pick up the fallen flag and run up the hill with it.
you are hitting the nail on the head Uncle Douglas. There is a tremendous disconnect between the actual law as worded vs. NHTSA and its interpretation of the law vs. CBP and its interpretation and enforcement of the law. these conflicts are catching up many innocent citizens in the mix, and we are paying a significantly unfair price for the inefficiencies that exist in the system.
Old February 20th, 2015, 11:28 AM
YumGTR
Trevor Cobb
1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Well I'm not shocked or terrified.

I'm furious and I pay taxes and vote.

DHS deserves to run out of money if this is how they spend it violating citizens civil liberties instead of providing any homeland security.
Way to prioritize what is important, and what a completely unjustifiable use of my taxes dollars. There are so many incredibly higher priority concerns in front of these people and they chase this based on completely errant information.

This isn't a liberal/conservative issue. This is our government surveilling and persecuting (they freely admit)
innocent Americans.

Personally I'd like to shine a magnifying glass on this portion of what has happened in hopes that some of the blogs that have covered this story pick up on this point and fire some citizens up. This is a government agency running roughshod over citizens , and infringing on their rights with no sense of propriety, or even due process. This has virtually nothing to do about vehicles in my book, but rather a run away agency.

The US Attorney for the Eastern District of NC should be embarrassed as hell. Talk about a black mark on your record. This is far more news worthy than most of the drivel on the natl news most evenings.

Call or write your congressmen, its their job to jump in on complete bullshit like this. Lets bring some pressure to bear on the perpetrators.
Agreed. 110%. Has anyone thought of doing a FOIA request to DHS to determine the sheer man hours and non-labor costs involved in conducting this operation?

------ Follow up post added February 20th, 2015 11:28 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Are you the same Trevor who the article is written about?
http://jalopnik.com/meet-the-man-who...n-g-1493404343
Correct.
Old February 20th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
you are hitting the nail on the head Uncle Douglas. There is a tremendous disconnect between the actual law as worded vs. NHTSA and its interpretation of the law vs. CBP and its interpretation and enforcement of the law. these conflicts are catching up many innocent citizens in the mix, and we are paying a significantly unfair price for the inefficiencies that exist in the system.
Yeah, I'm the man in the arena so to speak having imported appx 600 grey market vehicles so well versed on the disparity between letter of the law and actual enforcement.
When I anticipate friction I email EPA and or DOT before shipping to make sure we are on the same page before putting a vehicle on a ship.

Have an example coming up on a Perentie where I want to all be on the same page before shipping it. For those not in the know, a Perentie (named after a large lizard) is a Defender assembled in Australia with a galvanized chassis and an Isuzu diesel instead of a Rover engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Perentie

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 20th, 2015, 02:28 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Agreed. 110%. Has anyone thought of doing a FOIA request to DHS to determine the sheer man hours and non-labor costs involved in conducting this operation?
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think FOIA will get you that kind of information. If it's not already in a file or database somewhere you can't force an agency to create new work product via FOIA.

Old April 2nd, 2015, 03:08 PM
Mamba
Richard
'65 109 Dormobile

Registry
Hopefully, no news is good news. Just thought I would rattle the cage and see if there are any updates to this story.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 03:47 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
They're rattling the nissan cages I understand.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 06:06 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I met a guy just yesterday who told me he was about to buy a D110 exMoD pickup from an importer in Maine, but this guy got shut down by the Feds just before he pulled the trigger. He was under the impression that the vehicle he was going to buy was OK, but it was probably a VIN swap in the end.

Anyone hear of anything like this out of the NE?

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old April 9th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
To all,

Good afternoon. My apologies to all for not posting any updates more recently than now. I've just had a lot on my plate for the past few months and following up here just kept having to get pushed down on my priority list.

I'm representing 24 of the 25 Land Rovers, and their owners, involved in the case. After nearly 8 months since submitting my initial Motion to Dismiss, the Court entered an Order on March 31st denying all 25 Claimants' Motions to Dismiss. So, what does that mean? Well, it means little other than that we've buckled in for the long haul with our sights now set on going to trial. We've already been conducting discovery and I intend to continue to do so. No date for a trial has been set as yet. I would love to be able to share other particulars regarding my experiences thus far in the case, but I'm afraid that I'm just not able to do so at this point.

I can tell you that working on this case is very fulfilling. I imagine it almost goes without saying that it takes up a significant portion of my time. So much in fact that, after much thought, discussion and prayer with my wife, I made the decision to resign my position with the State of North Carolina and concentrate my efforts on this case and on other future endeavors. Please know that there were other factors involved, but those aside, I ultimately feel that it was the best decision for me, both personally and professionally. My representation in this case will continue to be pro bono (i.e., without charge for my time).

I thank all of you in the Defender Source and Land Rover enthusiast communities once again for your continued support in this case. It means a great deal to both me and to my clients. I'd also like to thank those enthusiasts from other facets of the automotive world who've discovered and taken an interest in our case. The outpouring of support has been truly overwhelming at times to say the least.

Please continue to keep these owners in your thoughts and I will continue to do my best to keep you all updated on the case when I can. My best to you all and please have a great day!

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old April 9th, 2015, 03:50 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Wow. Outstanding Will. Thank you, from all of us enthusiasts.
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:10 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
Wow. Outstanding Will. Thank you, from all of us enthusiasts.
x2 indeed
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:10 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Will, if you need some cash, you can always take a part time job writing service orders at an LR dealership...

Old April 9th, 2015, 04:13 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
Thank you Will. Very noble endeavor.
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Mamba
Richard
'65 109 Dormobile

Registry
Amen to that. Sounds like it's time to pony up again, gang. Is the "Defender of the Defenders" site still up for donations?
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
wow Will!! What a change...I hope hanging your shingle up works real well for you. Best part of doing that is the network of folks you know. This forum is a pretty big networking environment Good luck mate.
Old April 9th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I always have a huge amount of respect for people that are able to do what fulfills them the most. Thank you Will, for inspiring a whole bunch of people.
Old April 9th, 2015, 09:48 PM
chasrover
Brian
1968 109

This is good stuff. The kind of work ethics and hard work we should all strive for. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu