Homeland Security took my 110 - Page 80 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 21st, 2014, 06:16 AM
terreneuve
John
1997 D90

What I find ridiculous is that your government put all these people through this anguish and I know of 1 british sportscar that came across the Vermont border from Canada this week that was only 16 years old.It had fake vin plates and went through a registered importer!

Does homeland security only hate land rovers and nissans??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2014, 06:45 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Well, that shouldn't be hard to track down, thanks for the tip!

Anyone else wanting to rat out their criminal buddies, I prefer PMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terreneuve View Post
I know of 1 british sportscar that came across the Vermont border from Canada this week that was only 16 years old.It had fake vin plates and went through a registered importer!
Old August 21st, 2014, 06:58 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post

Right? can you get more specific?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2014, 07:02 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
its amazing how the fingers of many here are not actually connected to the reasoning center on their shoulders.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 21st, 2014, 07:26 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
Quick Update:

I just wanted to let everyone know that I filed a Motion to Dismiss this past Monday as well as the Answer to the Complaint for all 19 of the parties that I am representing. The government has until Monday Sept. 8 to respond to the motion.

I'll be sure to update what I can, when I can, from here going forward. In the mean time, my thanks go out again to everybody for their support!
Cool. What's the story for the rest? Did they not contact you or did they fall into the criteria of those that you said you couldn't help when you mentioned initially you would defend/represent those who asked? Or does that have to remain hush hush?
Old August 21st, 2014, 07:33 AM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
its amazing how the fingers of many here are not actually connected to the reasoning center on their shoulders.

Old August 21st, 2014, 08:26 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
What I find ridiculous is that your government put all these people through this anguish and I know of 1 british sportscar that came across the Vermont border from Canada this week that was only 16 years old.It had fake vin plates and went through a registered importer!

Does homeland security only hate land rovers and nissans??
What a DICK!
Old August 21st, 2014, 08:29 AM
terreneuve
John
1997 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post

No buddy of mine, just referencing a Québec used car dealer that lists on EBay and they have been sending cars to the states for years,. Posted just for information.

Here's the eBay link for the last car:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291184865753...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old August 21st, 2014, 08:54 AM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
This is exactly how the gestapo was so effective. They didnt have to be everywhere, they just need other citizens to turn on each other.

CPB reads this board (and this thread) and you just ratted out some owner you dont even know? You might want to edit both of those posts.

-Jeff
Old August 21st, 2014, 09:10 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Yep..... Loose lips sink ships!
Old August 21st, 2014, 09:49 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
No buddy of mine, just referencing a Québec used car dealer that lists on EBay and they have been sending cars to the states for years,. Posted just for information.
I thought you said it was a British sports car. The MGF is a Chinese sports car. After a Chinese company purchased MG they moved everything to China and the vehicles are manufactured in China.

Either way, the best policy is to know nothing and say nothing regarding possible victimless crimes. Some people may have accidentally come afoul of regulations put in place because of the lobbying efforts by some foreign car manufacturers who decided they would loose sales if people could import their own used cars.

Homeland security is enthusiastically working to protect profits of foreign car manufacturers who import vehicles to the US. This is to the detriment of US citizens. I don't see any reason to voluntarily assist them in this endevour.

Old August 21st, 2014, 10:13 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1986 D110 V8

Registry
I am baffled as to why the moderators on this forum do not simply interject to ban someone like this immediately.

Freedom of speech is sacred under our constitution, but that is just diarrhea of the mouth, it is not freedom of expression!
Defenderless for now!
Old August 21st, 2014, 10:14 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
This is exactly how the gestapo was so effective. They didnt have to be everywhere, they just need other citizens to turn on each other.

CPB reads this board (and this thread) and you just ratted out some owner you dont even know? You might want to edit both of those posts.

-Jeff
Not the first one of those to make it here. Wont be the last. The sticker does clearly state 1998 as date of build as confirmed by the VIN. Legal North of the border, just not here.

Caveat Emptor?
Old August 21st, 2014, 11:03 AM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Pretty sure if the manufacturer certifies that the vehicle meets US standards that it can be brought in through a registered importer, unless that has changed. Isn't this how Japan spec 90s are brought in?
Old August 21st, 2014, 11:10 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Really? Your going to post those pics? C'mon, think!

-Jeff
Jeff:
Those pics are take from the Ebay advert. Is there a problem with that?
Old August 21st, 2014, 11:24 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbull View Post
I love Shultz.. Hogans heroes was simply the best show..
Old August 21st, 2014, 11:48 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Looks to me that me are not comparing apples to apples here.. While this is a x year old vehicle it doesn't appear to be a "non-conforming" vehicle like our defenders..therefore it appears this was legally allowed in here..
Old August 21st, 2014, 12:09 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Jeff:
Jeff is saying (incredible that it needs to be explained) that by posting those here all Customs has to do is pull up the import docs by VIN and go seize it. You guys are doing their jobs for them. While I have no dog in the fight, I certainly wouldn't trust many here with any information since there is no thought process given before they post it on the web.

As for the Japanese spec question, its common knowledge that the Japanese spec trucks were NAS spec trucks that rover continued to build to get rid of their parts inventory, since LRNA couldn't bring them here, they were sold to the Japanese market. US law requires that 1998 model year vehicles have airbags so anything built past a certain day in August of 1997 cannot be imported into the US legally because it is a 98 model and does not have an airbag. This has been the case since 1997 and will never change until 98 models are 25yrs old.

In other word the sticker's/decals are a lie as the trucks do not conform to highway safety standards. Adding an airbag to a vehicle that wasn't designed around them in the first place isn't going to be cost effective, especially since you would have to prove to DOT that they work-that could get very expensive.

The only trucks that can be imported from Japan were the ones built prior to Sept 1997. DOT has the exact vin# cut off on their website.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 21st, 2014, 02:06 PM
terreneuve
John
1997 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Jeff:
I don't think there is either, they are freely available to anyone on the web. Just look at the spelling mistakes on the stickers - they are not factory. I guess US Customs officers on the border can't spell either!

I would rather prospective buyers be warned beforehand instead of them investing their money just to have it taken from them a few years later!
Old August 21st, 2014, 02:36 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Well, I did some background searching to see what this MG biz was all about and I found where you posted the same a few years back regarding another similar import. I see the spelling errors, and I get where you're coming from.

That said, I wouldn't post anything in here that could cause trouble for the current owner of a vehicle. It's already here and your one-man crusade won't stop people from spending their hard earned (or not) cash on potentially dubious vehicles from this or other vendor.

I also don't personally feel that a few grey market vehicles slipping across borders is a threat to me or anyone else. The only real risk of loss is that some know-it-all flaps his gums to the wrong person and Uncle Sam comes to take the vehicle away.

That said...your post may be slightly awry of the "STANDARS" of this forum, being that it does not "COMFORM" to the "APPLIABLE" topic here which is a seizure of of 25+ year-old Land Rovers that were "arrested" based on differing interpretation of the term "Year of "MANUFATURE."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu