Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2014, 03:00 PM
BigWalker
Pete Ricci
1965 Series 109 V8 Automatic

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post

The story of the customs officers knocking on the gun collectors door in Fredricksburg Virginia comes to mind.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...2_story_1.html
and the forced settlement to the gun collector noted above
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...351_story.html
Old July 15th, 2014, 03:00 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty009 View Post
It was definitely a "guilty, until proven innocent" play this am.

Now I'm left with trying to obtain discovery on why my particular VIN landed on this list.

I want to believe that I bought from the afforemended ass-clown of a VIN switcher BEFORE he became a whore...back in the early days..... When the 3-5 vehicles he did a year was a side effort.

NOT defending the aforementioned in the least, and this is just speculation and observation, but I would like to point out that IF he were were just choosing to not look too closely at the vehicles he were importing, and IF perhaps some had been VIN swapped on the other side of the pond, he wouldn't be as much of an ass clown whore, but more of a regular whore. The investigation might have began with a single vehicle, which led to the initial seizure of his shop inventory and all related vehicles there, when CBP gets caught with their dick in their hand after allowing in illegal vehicles as you put it, it becomes a "guilty until proven innocent" hunt.

Now, if someone involved, (again, possibly not even Aaron, but someone on the export side) had information confirming that this had in fact been going on, PLUS the CBP seizure last year had netted some part of a VIN swapped vehicle, would that be enough for them to subsequently begin chasing down every vehicle that had been imported by the same person??
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2014, 03:02 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Maybe thats who took his 130...
I don't even wanna go there......
Sorry about the loss guys. I hope it all turns out for the better.
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old July 15th, 2014, 03:04 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Maybe thats who took his 130...
That was not theirs, it was for sale by a forum member who shall remain nameless, and was there to be sold on consignment. In fact, I believe that 130 was originally imported by another forum member who shall also remain nameless, who has an very good reputation for his rover importing...
Old July 15th, 2014, 03:10 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I know that someone here who was dropping vehicles in as illegal was giving the vehicle details to a police division in England and they were co-ordinating with customs etc here in the USA.. But the vehicles he was informing on were blatantly illegal.. Like puma engines etc etc...so it may well be initiated or coordinated with the other side of the pond.... I guess that would be believable as they have a REALLY big problem with these being stolen and shipped out from there..
Old July 15th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Bill don't be stupid - it's clearly mid afternoon. Before noon they call that morning, then after noon it changes to afternoon, then around 5 evening begins. Just wanted to clear that up as I see many mixing those all up.
Oh shut the hell up Josh...
Old July 15th, 2014, 03:16 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I just hope that someone doesn't stand up crying discrimination.. Why aren't you going after such and such an importers list also.. Sorta thing.... That's gonna open up all new sorts of problems.. I'm sure some other importers have some sort of skeletons in the closet... Deliberate or not..
Old July 15th, 2014, 03:16 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Are you assuming that everybody here is a complete idiot or are you just an internet troll? I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm asking you a legitimate question.
I agree with you mate the first posting made no sense at all. Even in the UK Land Rover 90,110, 127's are called Defenders. I think the chap thinks that Americans are stupid.

I am very sorry to hear about my fellow Defender owners lost. Although my truck wasn't shipped by anyone associated with NC people, I'm worried. It looks like I may have to change my profile and stop posting on my truck's rebuild progress. What's sad waist of tax dollars. They need to do something about these damn potholes in NYC. We need trucks to navigate the streets of New York.
Old July 15th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I think everyone here needs to be much more generic about what they own and the country from which they base them selves in their personal by-lines. From what I see, someone (a small DHS Army) maybe stopping by to roll some of your equipment away.

The forum as a whole should be closed down to "members only" for viewing.
Old July 15th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
That was not theirs, it was for sale by a forum member who shall remain nameless, and was there to be sold on consignment. In fact, I believe that 130 was originally imported by another forum member who shall also remain nameless, who has an very good reputation for his rover importing...
Then I retract.

Shame about all this though.
Old July 15th, 2014, 03:47 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
I think everyone here needs to be much more generic about what they own and the country from which they base them selves in their personal by-lines. From what I see, someone (a small DHS Army) maybe stopping by to roll some of your equipment away.

Out of fear that the government might take our shit? That doesn't seem like a place I'd want to live.
Old July 15th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

And how do we know that some forum members that post very little, if at all aren't DHS IT bods doing the investigating..... as noted earlier the warrants were generated back in April/May... the damage is done, bit late now to start changing your on-line life. Don't forget, nothing on the interweb is ever deleted, just backed up & filed away.

Sucks for all the members that purchased trucks in good faith, hopefully you get them back soon & in one piece.... fingers crossed !
Old July 15th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaserBob View Post
Give the guy a break. He's just trying to help inform those not in the know.

Hey Greaser, Are you sure that's an '84 in your Avatar, looks like a '95 re-branded to me
Old July 15th, 2014, 03:56 PM
110fender
devin
1987 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Bottom line here on this....if you had your truck TOUCHED by this fellow in NC you are more than likely on the list managed by CBP. Their only way to track you and your truck is via VIN# from his records.

Other than that the only way it can be done is via state maintained DMV records(i.e. search all 1975-1989 Land Rovers) - but this is another herculean feat for interagency cooperation - not that it can't be done....just difficult and time consuming.

So, bottom line - they are running down every truck touched by this person in NC that they have the records and history on...I said it when the original seizure occurred, and it was brought up numerous times since.

Yes it is a tragedy - and once again - that person should be blacklisted, and held accountable.
He is being held accountable which is why 'he rolled'. The guy is / was a dirt bag. Sucks for the buyers thinking they are getting an up close truck already here in the states only to have this happen.
Old July 15th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Oannes
Aaron
1997 NAS D90 (Original Dream Car)

Quote:
Out of fear that the government might take our shit? That doesn't seem like a place I'd want to live.
I agree 100% what the hell is happening to the USA it is crazy!!!!

Very sorry to hear about all the seizures it really sucks... Especially since I am guessing that a majority of those trucks were legal imports. Hopefully you will all get them back soon with an apology letter from Mr. Obama (don't hold your breath).

Good luck everyone.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. Sir Winston Churchill

1973 Series II 109 5 door (Australia)
1997 NAS Defender 90 (Already sold so)
2013 Chevrolet 2500HD (work horse)
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I know that someone here who was dropping vehicles in as illegal was giving the vehicle details to a police division in England and they were co-ordinating with customs etc here in the USA.. But the vehicles he was informing on were blatantly illegal.. Like puma engines etc etc...so it may well be initiated or coordinated with the other side of the pond.... I guess that would be believable as they have a REALLY big problem with these being stolen and shipped out from there..
None of us have any facts about the original seizure case, but I suspect this is probably the case. Makes sense on why the CBP is so focused on it, if it's driven by UK police.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Josh, we're already in that situation.
Old July 15th, 2014, 04:01 PM
jputnins
John Putnins
1995 Defender 90 SW

All the guys who did get their vehicles taken, did any of you manage to get hold of the VIN list? It would be nice to know what vehicles are about to be nabbed.
Disco 1 "Truck-in-a-box"
Old July 15th, 2014, 04:04 PM
PTSchram
P. T. Schram
Down to only six!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jputnins View Post
All the guys who did get their vehicles taken, did any of you manage to get hold of the VIN list? It would be nice to know what vehicles are about to be nabbed.
I'm sure for that very reason, such info won't be shared.

It was stated the warrant was sealed-although even knowing that implies specialized knowledge of the topic and circumstances.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu