Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 28th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
We have something known as "due process" that defines how our legal process has to operate. Due process was skirted here by getting a magistrate to declare the vehicles contraband. The warrant swearing out the reasons for the judge outlining why they were contraband is flawed . So yeah, even you should be pissed if you have even a basic understanding of what has happened.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2014, 08:55 AM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
I've read somewhere the placing I non confirming engine or an engine that entered the country as parts is a no no. What does that make the whole truck? I just asking. -whistling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2014, 09:01 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
We have something known as "due process" that defines how our legal process has to operate. Due process was skirted here by getting a magistrate to declare the vehicles contraband. The warrant swearing out the reasons for the judge outlining why they were contraband is majorly flawed in multiple ways. So yeah, even you should be pissed if you have even a basic understanding of what has happened.
Maybe the warrant was flawed but I distinctly remember reading the part where it said there was more evidence not just what was presented in the warrant to bring the vehicles into custody.

Lets say the evidence is majorly flawed, not just slightly flawed. All vehicles are returned. Then they make another warrant with all the evidence that they have that isn't flawed. What would happen then?
Old July 28th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Maybe the warrant was flawed but I distinctly remember reading the part where it said there was more evidence not just what was presented in the warrant to bring the vehicles into custody.

Lets say the evidence is majorly flawed, not just slightly flawed. All vehicles are returned. Then they make another warrant with all the evidence that they have that isn't flawed. What would happen then?
This is exactly the type of thing Will specifically asked we don't post or respond to for very obvious reasons. Who exactly are you trying to help ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old July 28th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Let this post be the last one before Will responds again with an update. You are all going in circles and there is no real value add from anything said over last few days. our interpretation of the law does not matter at all. Let's get back to talking about how to fix our shit in other threads, and less talk about this subject and my beagles.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 28th, 2014, 09:21 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
This is exactly the type of thing Will specifically asked we don't post or respond to for very obvious reasons. Who exactly are you trying to help ?
My last post is giving somebody ideas? Do you honestly think the government can't think on its own to create a second warrant?
Old July 28th, 2014, 09:28 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Look guys.. The other evidence as far as we know may be what they have collected on the raid of dr Aaron's place,. Bottom line is that we won't know until will lets us know and by that time hopefully it will be facts not assumptions.. Now... About those beagles..??

------ Follow up post added July 28th, 2014 09:31 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
This is why I have been advocating the "single aussie per thread" rule...
That's the thing about us Aussies... You just never know how many are here...lurking in the shadows.. Just waiting.."..
Old July 28th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

The easy to figure out vehicles have been released. Consider them the low hanging fruit. Anymore "suspects released without bail" will only happen after a more in depth physical exam.

Its now like your annual physical. Your vital signs and blood test results may be good, but you still get worried when your doctor puts on the rubber gloves and says bend over......
Old July 28th, 2014, 09:41 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
That's the thing about us Aussies... You just never know how many are here...lurking in the shadows.. Just waiting.."..
oh shit
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

Old July 28th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
I'm not a lawyer but I don't think it works that way. The evidence they provided was probably all they had to go on relative to these specific vehicles. They may hVe other evidence that is not specific to these trucks. My guess is this was a fishing expedition to get the trucks into DHS hands so as to look for more evidence in order to build their case. But, like you I have no specific knowledge regarding the case so it is all just conjecture.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old July 28th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Rover Lover
Ron Dade
97/D90 Soft Top

Take a deep breath...

Hey, folks. Doug and WillH have given excellent advice: chill out and await updates from Will. All this churn is going to unnecessarily cause someone to have an ulcer or worse. Some of the hypotheticals could even provide ideas to Big Brother. Don't make things worse than they are at present.

"DON'T MAKE ME STOP THIS CAR!"

Old July 28th, 2014, 11:32 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover Lover View Post
Hey, folks. Doug and WillH have given excellent advice: chill out and await updates from Will. All this churn is going to unnecessarily cause someone to have an ulcer or worse. Some of the hypotheticals could even provide ideas to Big Brother. Don't make things worse than they are at present.

"DON'T MAKE ME STOP THIS CAR!"

We are just trying to get to 2,000 posts.

Old July 28th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
I'm not a lawyer but I don't think it works that way. The evidence they provided was probably all they had to go on relative to these specific vehicles. They may hVe other evidence that is not specific to these trucks. My guess is this was a fishing expedition to get the trucks into DHS hands so as to look for more evidence in order to build their case. But, like you I have no specific knowledge regarding the case so it is all just conjecture.
If you have a warrant that was issued based in non-factual information, are you allowed to use any evidence gathered from that warrant? I thought that if a warrant becomes invalid, then any information resulting from that warrant is not admissible. I assume that is why they needed to return those six vehicles immediately. The basis for the seizure of those was grossly incorrect information.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 28th, 2014, 12:00 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
If you have a warrant that was issued based in non-factual information, are you allowed to use any evidence gathered from that warrant? I thought that if a warrant becomes invalid, then any information resulting from that warrant is not admissible. I assume that is why they needed to return those six vehicles immediately. The basis for the seizure of those was grossly incorrect information.

Do some research on "exclusionary rule" and "fruits of the poisonous tree doctrine"

I not a lawyer but did stay at a Holiday Inn express and there were 2 beagles humping in the parking lot...
Old July 28th, 2014, 12:28 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
I not a lawyer but did stay at a Holiday Inn express and there were 2 beagles humping in the parking lot...
You are now qualified as an expert because of this.

Old July 28th, 2014, 12:33 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
You are now qualified as an expert because of this.
Yeah but..."I not a lawyer"... Lol... Obviously not an English major either... ROTFPML...
Old July 28th, 2014, 12:37 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

I nvere claimde to be smrat...
Old July 28th, 2014, 12:47 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
I'm not a lawyer but I don't think it works that way. The evidence they provided was probably all they had to go on relative to these specific vehicles. They may have other evidence that is not specific to these trucks. My guess is this was a fishing expedition to get the trucks into DHS hands so as to look for more evidence in order to build their case. But, like you I have no specific knowledge regarding the case so it is all just conjecture.
"Because this affidavit is being submitted for the limited purpose of securing a
warrant of arrest, I have not included each and every fact known to me concerning this
investigation. I have set forth only those facts that I believe are necessary to establish probable
cause to believe that violations of federal criminal laws relating to the illegal importation of
motor vehicles have occurred"

That is directly from the warrant. I doubt they lied about what they know to see if they can find something.
Old July 28th, 2014, 01:11 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I don't have a truck in this "beagle fight". But I would be very upset if mine was not returned based on conjecture and hearsay in some of the post.
Old July 28th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
"Because this affidavit is being submitted for the limited purpose of securing a
warrant of arrest, I have not included each and every fact known to me concerning this
investigation. I have set forth only those facts that I believe are necessary to establish probable
cause to believe that violations of federal criminal laws relating to the illegal importation of
motor vehicles have occurred"

That is directly from the warrant. I doubt they lied about what they know to see if they can find something.
Yeah I read it too. Key words "this investigation". Not "these specific vehicles." No one said they were lying. Just looking for low hanging fruit. get the trucks in and then start looking for further evidence. If they had enough evidence to bring the case to conclusion they would have already done that.

Its pretty obvious and common sense, not sure what part of it you don't understand. You clearly need to start watching more TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu