Behavior is under review by mods.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2014, 11:05 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

We are totally getting to 2000 posts now! Don't ban him again until we hit 2000 posts please. Thank you!
Old July 25th, 2014, 11:24 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Who un-banned Cocks? Is this a joke?
If he was banned he should stay banned.
Old July 25th, 2014, 11:45 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Apologize for the glitch. Taken care of.
Old July 25th, 2014, 11:48 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Apologize for the glitch. Taken care of.
NOOOOO! We will never get to 2000 posts now!
Old July 26th, 2014, 01:28 AM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

Did you send an email saying welcome back? Or does bent rod try to post up every day after stroking his skunk, to see if it goes through? Inquiring minds want to know
Old July 26th, 2014, 03:38 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
You wouldn't be able to fire anyone. They are protected union employees. They get a salary and a pension regardless of performance.

-Jeff
They are protected to a certain degree, but they can be fired. It just takes longer when they are not held accountable. There has to be documentation of error, but if the guidelines they are taught to enforce are not universal, how are you to reprimand? That problem must be addressed.
Old July 26th, 2014, 04:35 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
OK in your line of work, thats scary.

If you are talking generally, I do that daily here on the site. While i do like to joke arround, you can search my posts and see that i try to offer help, regardless if its been asked 1k times. If you are talking specifically about the Govt, well, you dont live in the real world. I have yet to meet any govt employee open to suggestion regarding what they do or how they do it.
-Jeff
Go to a VA and talk to a director of patient services, or any of the other staff for that matter. They are all Govt employees who are open to suggestion regarding what they do and how to make it better.

In reality Govt employees are bound by regulation, if they have issue their only recourse is to go through chain of command. All they can do is hope that their superior is a good egg.

And if they make too much noise they could be fired if not for their union. Union, Govt and legal officials all have certain power and like anything else with power - misuse can wreak havoc.

I am not saying that there are not Govt employees that will try and use this to their advantage, so it is up to their superiors to do their job weeding this out. Just as their are bad clients seeking legal representation for the purpose of ill gotten gain, there are also Govt employees who will try and use their union for protection.

Those that represent must know when to step in or stand down accordingly.
Old July 26th, 2014, 04:48 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
It appears that one problem that needs to be ironed out is that customs considers the chassis to be the identity of the vehicle. This makes sense for almost every vehicle except the Series/Defenders. There are companies building and exporting replica cars who take a chassis and drive train and rebodies them with a replica body to make the vehicle appear to be a rare high dollar classic. It makes sense for customs to use the frame number to identify these vehicles.

However from 1948 The Series and Defenders have been utility vehicles designed to be easily modified to meet the owners need. Of all the vehicles out there these Land Rovers are the industry's Lego toys. The chassis is just another bolt on replaceable part.

These vehicles have an aluminum alloy body and thin steel box frame. The body often outlasts the frame. Especially in countries like the UK where salt on the roads during winter is the norm. Reframing these Land Rovers is a common practice supported by companies that just make replacement frame for Series and Defenders. It is common for 25 year old Land Rovers to have had a complete or partial frame replacement.

There should be a regulatory exception for Defender Land Rovers that allows vehicles with documented chassis replacements to be imported. Defenders were designed so that every part can be easily replaced. They are unique because they were designed to be easily modifiable to be the tool that an owner needs for the task at hand. No other vehicle has nearly as many variations as the Defenders do.

Of course I have no idea how to convert "should be" to "is". A Defender that is over 25 years old that has been reframed should not be a fugitive just because a rotten frame had been replaced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 26th, 2014, 05:47 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
A Defender that is over 25 years old that has been reframed should not be a fugitive just because a rotten frame had been replaced.
Good point as it stands a a Defender with an original but Swiss cheese chassis gets allowed in despite the obvious safety hazard and lack of roadworthiness that said rotted mess presents.
Yet use a replacement safer galvy unit and it becomes ineligible.
That is indeed nuts.
Old July 26th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Bump for 2,000. Oh and awsome job Will!
Old July 26th, 2014, 07:15 AM
jpc1818
james
1998 D1/06 LR3 HSE HD/16RRS Diesel

Great job Will!!!
Very impressed here.
Old July 26th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I think everyone is curious, but the priority is getting as many trucks back as possible.
I actually have not seen the evidence, other than as stated in the complaint. As we are in federal court, I am automatically entitled to see all of it and I expect to be receiving it sometime within the next couple of weeks.

Will

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old July 26th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
I actually have not seen the evidence, other than as stated in the complaint. As we are in federal court, I am automatically entitled to see all of it and I expect to be receiving it sometime within the next couple of weeks.

Will
Do you have the numbers on how many of these were TDIs?
Old July 26th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
It appears that one problem that needs to be ironed out is that customs considers the chassis to be the identity of the vehicle. This makes sense for almost every vehicle except the Series/Defenders. There are companies building and exporting replica cars who take a chassis and drive train and rebodies them with a replica body to make the vehicle appear to be a rare high dollar classic. It makes sense for customs to use the frame number to identify these vehicles.

However from 1948 The Series and Defenders have been utility vehicles designed to be easily modified to meet the owners need. Of all the vehicles out there these Land Rovers are the industry's Lego toys. The chassis is just another bolt on replaceable part.

These vehicles have an aluminum alloy body and thin steel box frame. The body often outlasts the frame. Especially in countries like the UK where salt on the roads during winter is the norm. Reframing these Land Rovers is a common practice supported by companies that just make replacement frame for Series and Defenders. It is common for 25 year old Land Rovers to have had a complete or partial frame replacement.

There should be a regulatory exception for Defender Land Rovers that allows vehicles with documented chassis replacements to be imported. Defenders were designed so that every part can be easily replaced. They are unique because they were designed to be easily modifiable to be the tool that an owner needs for the task at hand. No other vehicle has nearly as many variations as the Defenders do.

Of course I have no idea how to convert "should be" to "is". A Defender that is over 25 years old that has been reframed should not be a fugitive just because a rotten frame had been replaced.
TerriAnn,

This is something that I've had to explain to the government. I've had to shift my focus to an entirely different point of view to understand the government's case. They honestly have been operating under the impression that things like waxoyling and galvanizing frames are things that "unscrupulous" people do to "hide" the origins of these vehicles. When I explained that these were common practices meant to preserve the vehicles, I flipped their whole understanding/paradigm of these practices on their heads. Same goes for the reasons doors are replaced (rotting doors) and roofs are replaced (cosmetics of smooth vs. ribbed roofs). I personally do not hold galvanizing to be a "modification" of the frame. It doesn't require altering or replacement of the original, it's simply a coating or varnish, if you will.

I'm very glad to have a dialogue established with the government and I hope things continue moving in a positive direction.

Quote:
Old July 26th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Do you have the numbers on how many of these were TDIs?
I do not have an answer to your question as I do not currently represent all the vehicles that were seized. That said, even if I did, I would not be in a position to answer the question for you.

Thank you and I hope you understand.

Quote:
Old July 26th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
I do not have an answer to your question as I do not currently represent all the vehicles that were seized. That said, even if I did, I would not be in a position to answer the question for you.

Thank you and I hope you understand.
Totally understand.
Old July 26th, 2014, 10:09 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
TerriAnn,

This is something that I've had to explain to the government. I've had to shift my focus to an entirely different point of view to understand the government's case. They honestly have been operating under the impression that things like waxoyling and galvanizing frames are things that "unscrupulous" people do to "hide" the origins of these vehicles. When I explained that these were common practices meant to preserve the vehicles, I flipped their whole understanding/paradigm of these practices on their heads. Same goes for the reasons doors are replaced (rotting doors) and roofs are replaced (cosmetics of smooth vs. ribbed roofs). I personally do not hold galvanizing to be a "modification" of the frame. It doesn't require altering or replacement of the original, it's simply a coating or varnish, if you will.

I'm very glad to have a dialogue established with the government and I hope things continue moving in a positive direction.
Certainly there is a point where your chassis is replaced with a galvanized puma chassis and all new parts where it is no longer a "common" practice. It is not common to have a completely restored vehicle with all new parts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu