Homeland Security took my 110 - Page 65 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1281  
Old July 25th, 2014, 01:53 PM
mongosd2's Avatar
mongosd2
Status: Offline
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tucson
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
food for thought since you guys are splitting hairs and sniping @ the laws.

We have a DOT Chief Counsel's published "longstanding tradition" opinion letter that an original chassis can be completely re-bodied with a new body.
Explain or come up with a rationale for me that doesn't completely contradict their current enforcement that "a left hand drive conversion is considered VIN tampering as the brake booster is moved from one side of the truck to the other". How is one not moving the same brake booster if a completely new body is installed ?
My head spins like Beetlejuice's everytime I have to deal with these guys.
I was just playing "Captian Obvious"…and I could not imagine dealing with these, let's say it politically correctly, MORONS...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #1282  
Old July 25th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Manimal's Avatar
Manimal
Status: Offline
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,134
Actually the correct term would be "Hand Egg".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
And when that's done, let's rename footbal "Pigball"
__________________
Land Rovers. A loosely associated collection of parts, generally traveling in the same direction.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #1283  
Old July 25th, 2014, 02:31 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,052
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
It boils down to the fact that the laws in question lack common sense. If we are to go as far as aligning our regulations with Canada, why stop there. All of these trucks are legal in Europe. Its not like Europe is the 3rd world when it comes to emissions and safety. Are we actually cleaner and safer here? As you are aware, here in the Republik, he have the arbitrary and unaccountable regulatory agency called CARB. Which takes insanity and BS to a completely different level. -Jeff
Why stop with with vehicles ... You could adopt our monarchy! ;-)
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
  #1284  
Old July 25th, 2014, 02:56 PM
The Dro
Status: Offline
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,549
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
Meeting with US Attorney again in 20 minutes. Thoughts and prayers appreciated once again.
Good luck
__________________
Mine is NTO... It was new, Now I'm Taking it Off.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #1285  
Old July 25th, 2014, 03:32 PM
cbfritz_03
Status: Offline
Carmen
none
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: TX
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
Meeting with US Attorney again in 20 minutes. Thoughts and prayers appreciated once again.
Always. Good luck Will.
Reply With Quote
  #1286  
Old July 25th, 2014, 03:40 PM
rankar's Avatar
rankar
Status: Offline
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 1,115
Registry
Go get em Will
Reply With Quote
  #1287  
Old July 25th, 2014, 03:53 PM
TeriAnn's Avatar
TeriAnn
Status: Offline
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Flagstaff, AZ USA
Posts: 239
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
TeriAnn,
CBP can't come up with a legal definition of an illegal alien
No problem. About four foot six, triangular shaped head, really big black eyes, green skin and does not have a green card or visa. The illegal aliens do not pass through an international port of entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Washington is in chaos and this current regime isn't going to make a decision on anything let alone making it easier to import any vehicle that the UAW didn't build.
Yeh we need to vote out the house of representatives and get people in there who understand the concept of compromise.
__________________
TeriAnn
1960 Land Rover Dormobile, The go anywhere class B RV
1961 Triumph TR3A. Life is too short not to drive a classic British roadster.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #1288  
Old July 25th, 2014, 03:58 PM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 4,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
We have a DOT Chief Counsel's published "longstanding tradition" opinion letter that an original chassis can be completely re-bodied with a new body.
Explain or come up with a rationale for me that doesn't completely contradict their current enforcement that "a left hand drive conversion is considered VIN tampering as the brake booster is moved from one side of the truck to the other". How is one not moving the same brake booster if a completely new body is installed ?
My head spins like Beetlejuice's everytime I have to deal with these guys.
As far as I can tell, DOT and EPA have been copacetic...isn't the current enforcement problem / mistake-prone agency the DHS?
Reply With Quote
  #1289  
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:00 PM
javelinadave's Avatar
javelinadave
Status: Offline
-
-
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: -
Posts: 5,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
Yeh we need to vote out the house of representatives and get people in there who understand the concept of compromise.
Lets not forget Dingy Harry Reid. He is 33.3333333% of the problem.



Then there is this guy and his magic pen. He too owns 33.4% of the blame at a minimum. Didn't he tell the Republicans “they can come for the ride, but they have to sit in back”?



I'm not a Boehner fan but your comment on where to place blame is WAY off target. The House is the Peoples House. It is how most citizens of this country want the country ran. That's why it is staffed based on total population and not two per state like Harry Reid's Senate. That is why the Speaker is number 3 inline for the Presidency.
Reply With Quote
  #1290  
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Willh's Avatar
Willh
Status: Online
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Wake Forest, NC, USA
Posts: 1,188
Registry
To all,

My meeting with the US Attorney went well. No resolution of the issue yet, but it was a good meeting and I feel we're definitely making progress.

Thank you all again for your support!
__________________
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Reply With Quote
  #1291  
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:16 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
food for thought since you guys are splitting hairs and sniping @ the laws.

We have a DOT Chief Counsel's published "longstanding tradition" opinion letter that an original chassis can be completely re-bodied with a new body.
Explain or come up with a rationale for me that doesn't completely contradict their current enforcement that "a left hand drive conversion is considered VIN tampering as the brake booster is moved from one side of the truck to the other". How is one not moving the same brake booster if a completely new body is installed ?
My head spins like Beetlejuice's everytime I have to deal with these guys.
I commend to anyone thinking about this, the actual statute regarding VIN tampering and see if you can square in your mind the position the .gov is taking.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #1292  
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Viton's Avatar
Viton
Status: Offline
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: La
Posts: 1,176
1st Rovers now this ....

http://www.nationaljournal.com/domes...sales-20140725
Reply With Quote
  #1293  
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:44 PM
ceedy's Avatar
ceedy
Status: Offline
Chris
1989 Defender 110
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Austin
Posts: 39
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
To all,

My meeting with the US Attorney went well. No resolution of the issue yet, but it was a good meeting and I feel we're definitely making progress.

Thank you all again for your support!
Thanks again for doing this for the community. Keep up the great work!
Reply With Quote
  #1294  
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:46 PM
Willh's Avatar
Willh
Status: Online
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Wake Forest, NC, USA
Posts: 1,188
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
Will, You might not be able to answer this but was there any explanation for how they could have made these mistakes? Its inconceivable that JLRNA can't tell the difference between an 1984 and a 2000 truck.

This is a good question and one I now feel free to answer.

I used to work for LR, so I knew what the issue was relatively quickly. It's based on how they typically look up vehicle information In the computer. Even here in the states it is done this way when looking up warranty info on new rovers.

When one goes to look for the vehicle on the computer, they usually only type the last 6 digits of the VIN (i.e., the chassis identifier). This will typically bring up the correct vehicle information.

However, chassis identifiers are recycled. Even Chevrolet does it. Hendricks Motors (no relation) sold a matched pair of Chevy Corvettes at Barrett-Jackson Auction in Arizona last year. One was a '56 and one was '13. Both had the same chassis identifier. That's why they were "matched".

Same thing happened in this situation, except with Defenders from the mid 1980's and 2000. The chassis numbers were recycled and just so happened to match each other ( again the last 6 numbers of the VIN).

LR didn't note the discrepancy, but I did. Once pointed out, they were very quick to remedy the error.

So hey, these things happen, I understand that. Even I make mistakes. And, this is why I don't take issue with LR.

And, to be clear, LR was only given the VIN's by DHS. They never saw the actual vehicles.
__________________
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Reply With Quote
  #1295  
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Overlander's Avatar
Overlander
Status: Offline
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,503
Registry
It's on bitches! We're takin' you down you flower eyed, no shoe tying, tax avoiding little despot!

__________________
Mark Kellgren
KM4BOR

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Reply With Quote
  #1296  
Old July 25th, 2014, 05:00 PM
byrnecc's Avatar
byrnecc
Status: Offline
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Howard County, MD
Posts: 292
Registry
wow, what a mix-up. good job pointing that out to them, that probably saved a few months of b/s by knowing that off the bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
This is a good question and one I now feel free to answer.

I used to work for LR, so I knew what the issue was relatively quickly. It's based on how they typically look up vehicle information In the computer. Even here in the states it is done this way when looking up warranty info on new rovers.

When one goes to look for the vehicle on the computer, they usually only type the last 6 digits of the VIN (i.e., the chassis identifier). This will typically bring up the correct vehicle information.

However, chassis identifiers are recycled. Even Chevrolet does it. Hendricks Motors (no relation) sold a matched pair of Chevy Corvettes at Barrett-Jackson Auction in Arizona last year. One was a '56 and one was '13. Both had the same chassis identifier. That's why they were "matched".

Same thing happened in this situation, except with Defenders from the mid 1980's and 2000. The chassis numbers were recycled and just so happened to match each other ( again the last 6 numbers of the VIN).

LR didn't note the discrepancy, but I did. Once pointed out, they were very quick to remedy the error.

So hey, these things happen, I understand that. Even I make mistakes. And, this is why I don't take issue with LR.

And, to be clear, LR was only given the VIN's by DHS. They never saw the actual vehicles.
Reply With Quote
  #1297  
Old July 25th, 2014, 05:13 PM
The Dro
Status: Offline
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,549
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
It's on bitches! We're takin' you down you flower eyed, no shoe tying, tax avoiding little despot!
You need help
__________________
Mine is NTO... It was new, Now I'm Taking it Off.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #1298  
Old July 25th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Jymmiejamz's Avatar
Jymmiejamz
Status: Offline
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,464
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
This is a good question and one I now feel free to answer.

I used to work for LR, so I knew what the issue was relatively quickly. It's based on how they typically look up vehicle information In the computer. Even here in the states it is done this way when looking up warranty info on new rovers.

When one goes to look for the vehicle on the computer, they usually only type the last 6 digits of the VIN (i.e., the chassis identifier). This will typically bring up the correct vehicle information.

However, chassis identifiers are recycled. Even Chevrolet does it. Hendricks Motors (no relation) sold a matched pair of Chevy Corvettes at Barrett-Jackson Auction in Arizona last year. One was a '56 and one was '13. Both had the same chassis identifier. That's why they were "matched".

Same thing happened in this situation, except with Defenders from the mid 1980's and 2000. The chassis numbers were recycled and just so happened to match each other ( again the last 6 numbers of the VIN).

LR didn't note the discrepancy, but I did. Once pointed out, they were very quick to remedy the error.

So hey, these things happen, I understand that. Even I make mistakes. And, this is why I don't take issue with LR.

And, to be clear, LR was only given the VIN's by DHS. They never saw the actual vehicles.
I don't know what database Land Rover is using to look up the VINs, but when submitting an EPQR, for example, the chassis number will come up with usually 3-5 vehicles including different models. Did they not even look at the rest of the VIN? At least the vehicles are being returned.
__________________
Car Camping Collective founding member and Treasurer
Reply With Quote
  #1299  
Old July 25th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,143
Registry
So they have hundreds of agents doing surveillance and teaming together to seize the vehicles but they can't put an hour or two into properly researching the build and registration dates? All easily done from the comfort of your computer. If I was running this organization I would fire the agents running the case.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #1300  
Old July 25th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Bill Larson's Avatar
Bill Larson
Status: Offline
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: AUS
Posts: 6,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
So they have hundreds of agents doing surveillance and teaming together to seize the vehicles but they can't put an hour or two into properly researching the build and registration dates? All easily done from the comfort of your computer. If I was running this organization I would fire the agents running the case.
You want to hold them responsible for obtaining valid information even when they know there are holes in the system that often delivers false positives? You crazy guy you...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Took the plunge, now have lots o questions! GreenRover Defender Technical Discussions 8 June 11th, 2010 07:50 PM
It took 2 months... CDN90 Misc. Chit-Chat 12 December 19th, 2009 09:47 AM
Random photo I took today but the D110 snuck in! ORover Misc. Chit-Chat 3 December 17th, 2007 02:05 PM
Took 10 years... G37 Infiniti norros Misc. Chit-Chat 3 September 10th, 2007 11:43 AM
I took the plunge and bought a D90! Now.... jaherring Defender Technical Discussions 21 August 5th, 2004 02:14 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 AM.


Copyright