Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 25th, 2014, 01:53 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
food for thought since you guys are splitting hairs and sniping @ the laws.

We have a DOT Chief Counsel's published "longstanding tradition" opinion letter that an original chassis can be completely re-bodied with a new body.
Explain or come up with a rationale for me that doesn't completely contradict their current enforcement that "a left hand drive conversion is considered VIN tampering as the brake booster is moved from one side of the truck to the other". How is one not moving the same brake booster if a completely new body is installed ?
My head spins like Beetlejuice's everytime I have to deal with these guys.
I was just playing "Captian Obvious"…and I could not imagine dealing with these, let's say it politically correctly, MORONS...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Actually the correct term would be "Hand Egg".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
And when that's done, let's rename footbal "Pigball"
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2014, 02:31 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
It boils down to the fact that the laws in question lack common sense. If we are to go as far as aligning our regulations with Canada, why stop there. All of these trucks are legal in Europe. Its not like Europe is the 3rd world when it comes to emissions and safety. Are we actually cleaner and safer here? As you are aware, here in the Republik, he have the arbitrary and unaccountable regulatory agency called CARB. Which takes insanity and BS to a completely different level. -Jeff
Why stop with with vehicles ... You could adopt our monarchy! ;-)
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 25th, 2014, 02:56 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
Meeting with US Attorney again in 20 minutes. Thoughts and prayers appreciated once again.
Good luck
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 25th, 2014, 03:32 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Meeting with US Attorney again in 20 minutes. Thoughts and prayers appreciated once again.
Always. Good luck Will.
Old July 25th, 2014, 03:40 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Go get em Will
Old July 25th, 2014, 03:53 PM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
TeriAnn,
CBP can't come up with a legal definition of an illegal alien
No problem. About four foot six, triangular shaped head, really big black eyes, green skin and does not have a green card or visa. The illegal aliens do not pass through an international port of entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Washington is in chaos and this current regime isn't going to make a decision on anything let alone making it easier to import any vehicle that the UAW didn't build.
Yeh we need to vote out the house of representatives and get people in there who understand the concept of compromise.

Old July 25th, 2014, 03:58 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Quote:
We have a DOT Chief Counsel's published "longstanding tradition" opinion letter that an original chassis can be completely re-bodied with a new body.
Explain or come up with a rationale for me that doesn't completely contradict their current enforcement that "a left hand drive conversion is considered VIN tampering as the brake booster is moved from one side of the truck to the other". How is one not moving the same brake booster if a completely new body is installed ?
As far as I can tell, DOT and EPA have been copacetic...isn't the current enforcement problem / mistake-prone agency the DHS?
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:00 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
Yeh we need to vote out the house of representatives and get people in there who understand the concept of compromise.
Lets not forget Dingy Harry Reid. He is 33.3333333% of the problem.

Then there is this guy and his magic pen. He too owns 33.4% of the blame at a minimum. Didn't he tell the Republicans “they can come for the ride, but they have to sit in back”?

I'm not a Boehner fan but your comment on where to place blame is WAY off target. The House is the Peoples House. It is how most citizens of this country want the country ran. That's why it is staffed based on total population and not two per state like Harry Reid's Senate. That is why the Speaker is number 3 inline for the Presidency.
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
To all,

My meeting with the US Attorney went well. No resolution of the issue yet, but it was a good meeting and I feel we're definitely making progress.

Thank you all again for your support!

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:16 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
food for thought since you guys are splitting hairs and sniping @ the laws.

I commend to anyone thinking about this, the actual statute regarding VIN tampering and see if you can square in your mind the position the .gov is taking.
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

1st Rovers now this ....

http://www.nationaljournal.com/domes...sales-20140725
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:44 PM
ceedy
Chris
1989 Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
To all,

My meeting with the US Attorney went well. No resolution of the issue yet, but it was a good meeting and I feel we're definitely making progress.

Thank you all again for your support!
Thanks again for doing this for the community. Keep up the great work!
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:46 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
Will, You might not be able to answer this but was there any explanation for how they could have made these mistakes? Its inconceivable that JLRNA can't tell the difference between an 1984 and a 2000 truck.

This is a good question and one I now feel free to answer.

I used to work for LR, so I knew what the issue was relatively quickly. It's based on how they typically look up vehicle information In the computer. Even here in the states it is done this way when looking up warranty info on new rovers.

When one goes to look for the vehicle on the computer, they usually only type the last 6 digits of the VIN (i.e., the chassis identifier). This will typically bring up the correct vehicle information.

However, chassis identifiers are recycled. Even Chevrolet does it. Hendricks Motors (no relation) sold a matched pair of Chevy Corvettes at Barrett-Jackson Auction in Arizona last year. One was a '56 and one was '13. Both had the same chassis identifier. That's why they were "matched".

Same thing happened in this situation, except with Defenders from the mid 1980's and 2000. The chassis numbers were recycled and just so happened to match each other ( again the last 6 numbers of the VIN).

LR didn't note the discrepancy, but I did. Once pointed out, they were very quick to remedy the error.

So hey, these things happen, I understand that. Even I make mistakes. And, this is why I don't take issue with LR.

And, to be clear, LR was only given the VIN's by DHS. They never saw the actual vehicles.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
It's on bitches! We're takin' you down you flower eyed, no shoe tying, tax avoiding little despot!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 25th, 2014, 05:00 PM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
wow, what a mix-up. good job pointing that out to them, that probably saved a few months of b/s by knowing that off the bat

Quote:

I used to work for LR, so I knew what the issue was relatively quickly. It's based on how they typically look up vehicle information In the computer. Even here in the states it is done this way when looking up warranty info on new rovers.

When one goes to look for the vehicle on the computer, they usually only type the last 6 digits of the VIN (i.e., the chassis identifier). This will typically bring up the correct vehicle information.

However, chassis identifiers are recycled. Even Chevrolet does it. Hendricks Motors (no relation) sold a matched pair of Chevy Corvettes at Barrett-Jackson Auction in Arizona last year. One was a '56 and one was '13. Both had the same chassis identifier. That's why they were "matched".

Same thing happened in this situation, except with Defenders from the mid 1980's and 2000. The chassis numbers were recycled and just so happened to match each other ( again the last 6 numbers of the VIN).

LR didn't note the discrepancy, but I did. Once pointed out, they were very quick to remedy the error.

So hey, these things happen, I understand that. Even I make mistakes. And, this is why I don't take issue with LR.

And, to be clear, LR was only given the VIN's by DHS. They never saw the actual vehicles.
Old July 25th, 2014, 05:13 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
It's on bitches! We're takin' you down you flower eyed, no shoe tying, tax avoiding little despot!
You need help
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

Old July 25th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:

I don't know what database Land Rover is using to look up the VINs, but when submitting an EPQR, for example, the chassis number will come up with usually 3-5 vehicles including different models. Did they not even look at the rest of the VIN? At least the vehicles are being returned.
Old July 25th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
So they have hundreds of agents doing surveillance and teaming together to seize the vehicles but they can't put an hour or two into properly researching the build and registration dates? All easily done from the comfort of your computer. If I was running this organization I would fire the agents running the case.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 25th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
So they have hundreds of agents doing surveillance and teaming together to seize the vehicles but they can't put an hour or two into properly researching the build and registration dates? All easily done from the comfort of your computer. If I was running this organization I would fire the agents running the case.
You want to hold them responsible for obtaining valid information even when they know there are holes in the system that often delivers false positives? You crazy guy you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu