PTSchram
P. T. Schram
Down to only six!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty009 View Post
I purchased it from the NC Dealership

------ Follow up post added July 15th, 2014 11:09 AM ------

In 2010.
And what has the Dealer given you as a loaner while you are deprived of the use of the truck they sold you with a presumption it was legal to possess?
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Scottyoh
Enigma RnR
'87 127"
D-90 Source Vendor

The warrant lists 40 VIN numbers, was filed APR 24 in NC, then federally on MAY 19. It is sealed and not public record.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 15th, 2014, 01:30 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

So how do they validate the vin if there is no vin on the vehicle.. Did they compare the vin to the warrant and did they just check the vin on the frame or the plate on brake booster box.. I would hope that any owner checks the vin on the warrant against the vin on the frame... No match.. No seize...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2014, 01:31 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landie View Post
Please be vigilant. A 25 year old Defender does not exist.
That must be the reasoning behind all of this.
Old July 15th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Hello people I am active member on other UK based forums. I am sorry to hear about your losses but joined to tell you this

There is no such thing as a 25 year old Defender. Not till next year. The first Defender rolled off the production line in 1990. What your importing is, or should be, a 1984-1989 Land Rover Ninety or One-Ten or One-Two-Seven.

The name changed to 110 and 90 sometime between about 1988 I think. The Nineties and One-Tens had the pencil lock door tops inside the cab and the flat black plastic inner door handles, the Range Rover four spoked steering wheel and often outer recessed door handles like a Series and from about 1984-1986 the angled sliding cab windows with round spin lock on.

They also will have at first had 2.25 petrol and diesel 5 main bearing engines and then 2.5 Diesel and Petrol non turbos and then the turbo 19j engines till 1990. The TDI was released in 1990 though many were retro fitted.

Thank you and good luck I joined for the sole purpose of helping by supplying info from
The home country!

Thank you.

We know....everyone here just calls them Defenders anyways.
Old July 15th, 2014, 01:33 PM
PTSchram
P. T. Schram
Down to only six!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
So how do they validate the vin if there is no vin on the vehicle.. Did they compare the vin to the warrant and did they just check the vin on the frame or the plate on brake booster box.. I would hope that any owner checks the vin on the warrant against the vin on the frame... No match.. No seize...
What do they do if there is no VIN on the frame? Frame swap or repairs?

I've gotten to the point where I'm surprised when I do see the VIN on the frame as it seems so rare.

EVERY Series truck I have owned has been plated over the VIN. The one before last had a replacement engine put in it by the MOD and they didn't stamp the tag as to having done so. Glad I brought it in a long time ago.
Old July 15th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Landie
Harry
1978 88"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
That must be the reasoning behind all of this.
Read carefully for what I have written. You could call a 1984-1990 90/110/127 a Defender because they are identical in many ways but in reality they are a "IIIa" but not.

Many here would call say a 1985 ninety a defender because the front is the same as is the body and (most) of the interior and most now run a TDI.

But the TDI was also released in 1989/90 for the Discovery and the lump was installed in the new "Defender" range 200 1990-94 and 300 1994-1998.

Be careful and feel free to ask me about anything. But remember the vehicles are so interchangeable many people legally updated or used the closest parts they could find.
Old July 15th, 2014, 01:37 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Just found out a friends 84 D90 was taken in AZ this morning as well. He bought it from the car lot that was part of the NC set up.
Old July 15th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Landie
Harry
1978 88"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSchram View Post
What do they do if there is no VIN on the frame? Frame swap or repairs?

I've gotten to the point where I'm surprised when I do see the VIN on the frame as it seems so rare.

EVERY Series truck I have owned has been plated over the VIN. The one before last had a replacement engine put in it by the MOD and they didn't stamp the tag as to having done so. Glad I brought it in a long time ago.
The vin mostly is on the bulkhead and sometimes on the dumb iron
Old July 15th, 2014, 01:44 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Hello people I am active member on other UK based forums. I am sorry to hear about your losses but joined to tell you this

There is no such thing as a 25 year old Defender. Not till next year. The first Defender rolled off the production line in 1990. What your importing is, or should be, a 1984-1989 Land Rover Ninety or One-Ten or One-Two-Seven.

The name changed to 110 and 90 sometime between about 1988 I think. The Nineties and One-Tens had the pencil lock door tops inside the cab and the flat black plastic inner door handles, the Range Rover four spoked steering wheel and often outer recessed door handles like a Series and from about 1984-1986 the angled sliding cab windows with round spin lock on.

They also will have at first had 2.25 petrol and diesel 5 main bearing engines and then 2.5 Diesel and Petrol non turbos and then the turbo 19j engines till 1990. The TDI was released in 1990 though many were retro fitted.

Thank you and good luck I joined for the sole purpose of helping by supplying info from
The home country!

Thank you.
Quote:
Read carefully for what I have written. You could call a 1984-1990 90/110/127 a Defender because they are identical in many ways but in reality they are a "IIIa" but not.

Many here would call say a 1985 ninety a defender because the front is the same as is the body and (most) of the interior and most now run a TDI.

But the TDI was also released in 1989/90 for the Discovery and the lump was installed in the new "Defender" range 200 1990-94 and 300 1994-1998.

Be careful and feel free to ask me about anything. But remember the vehicles are so interchangeable many people legally updated or used the closest parts they could find.

Quote:
The vin mostly is on the bulkhead and sometimes on the dumb iron
Are you assuming that everybody here is a complete idiot or are you just an internet troll?
I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm asking you a legitimate question.
Old July 15th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Are you assuming that everybody here is a complete idiot or are you just an internet troll?
We are Americans so we don't know about Land Rovers.
Old July 15th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Landie
Harry
1978 88"

Quote:
Just notice people's mistakes man and seen them get into trouble as a result. On loads of forums etc and don't want people to make the same ones.

There's people out there who will swap Vins and sell to someone whose nonethewiser happens everyday.

------ Follow up post added July 15th, 2014 12:53 PM ------

Only trying to help because daily I see people innocently buying things and getting shafted.
Old July 15th, 2014, 01:53 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Just notice people's mistakes man and seen them get into trouble as a result. On loads of forums etc and don't want people to make the same ones.

There's people out there who will swap Vins and sell to someone whose nonethewiser happens everyday.
Guess what, it happens here in the US too. American muscle cars, Japanese tuners, and yes, Land Rovers too.
Old July 15th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Quote:

85' Defenders are really 110's, but you knew that. Sometimes people put on later model parts on earlier vehicles, but CBP knew that too.

You can easily update an 85 110 to make it look new, but I wouldn't want to right now.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 15th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Rusty009
Mike Miller
Defender 110 '85

For those asking on the VIN...

Yes, it checked out. (both on the frame and brake booster). The VIN on my vehicle in fact matched the VIN on their seizure list. (where the vehicle was noted as a 1985.)

All I was asking them:
-Who's going to validate from other VIN locations? (yes, I've seen the FAQ.) Fact is, these guys would not. Odd, cause they first claimed to be experts on this vehicle and spotting fakes, yet "didn't have their spec sheet to validate other VIN locations".

Fact remains, someone in Wilmington NC got pinched, and a list of their vehicles is being siezed. My only question, are all vehicles bad? Did he recently start doing this?
Old July 15th, 2014, 01:56 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

It really sucks...
Old July 15th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSchram View Post
And what has the Dealer given you as a loaner while you are deprived of the use of the truck they sold you with a presumption it was legal to possess?
What he means is the double wide trailer off the highway in Wilmington where Aaron (still a member, I believe) peddled his garbage. No such thing as a loaner vehicle from there. All vehicles were sold through that guy, not through Aaron. Makes me wonder if he is receiving undue attention as well.

Interesting to hear someone say that "he rolled."
Old July 15th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Landie
Harry
1978 88"

Well yes check my post I put

It might be patronising but it's fairly accurate. Yes many vehicles were changed as I said but there's still a fair few original features left on some Nineties and one tens and 90s and 110s.
Old July 15th, 2014, 02:01 PM
GreaserBob
Bobby

Registry
Quote:
Are you assuming that everybody here is a complete idiot or are you just an internet troll? I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm asking you a legitimate question.
Give the guy a break. He's just trying to help inform those not in the know.
Old July 15th, 2014, 02:01 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaserBob View Post
Give the guy a break. He's just trying to help inform those not in the know.
The Captain Obvious picture pretty much sums it up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu