Old July 22nd, 2014, 10:59 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by couga861900 View Post
Am I the only person that can read? The obvious was address but the question still stands. Would someone let me know if the above was answered. We all know that a 200tdi can not be imported. So why only answer that bloody or quote portion of the question.

------ Follow up post added July 22nd, 2014 06:09 AM ------

--------> Would he need papers from the scrap yard where he brought the 2.6td? Or would the 2.6td be enough to constitute "original". <--------
No paperwork showing where a replacement engine was procured is ever required. Missed that part of your original question. BTW they weren't 2.6.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:00 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I'm calling you out on a horrible example.

In seriousness Matt that's just it. Looks as though the majority are what he said they were on the paperwork.

Lets do this so you get my angle. I walk into the (locality not important since nothing is more American than John Deere right? ) John Deere dealership and buy a new agricultural tractor for my farm. Years later DHS positions agents, watch me using the tractor to mow fields etc and come banging on my door and take said tractor on a large roll back giving me a warrant saying that when John Deere imported said tractor from India (yep some are built in Japan, some are built in Germany, and some are built in India) they got the import code wrong on the paperwork and US Customs is due a few more cents in duty thus making the entry fraudulent and the tractor contraband. I sue John Deere only to find out John Deere had it right in the first place.
Not only have I suffered damages in the form of loss of use, atty's fee's, embarrassment when my neighbors saw all this, I will also have to pay the contractor who hauled and stored the tractor from my farm to wherever US Customs decides to store it- you can bet it was long distances on some of these. Customs agree's to release said tractor upon being proved wrong (burden of proof on me) but drags ass on the release paperwork causing another two months of storage costs. So a year later I get the tractor back with a $3k atty bill and a $3k hauling and storage bill. Plus the cost of a replacement in the meantime as well as emotional distress and embarrassment when the seizure is carried by the local paper.

You good with that scenario ?
I think you just beat Matt for the worst example.
It was my understanding that a majority of these were not bought from an Authorized LRNA dealer. Is that correct?
You're comparing brand new John Deere tractors that get brought into the US in mass quantities. These Land Rover are used and who knows how old(part of the problem), are brought in 1 or 2 at a time, and everybody knows the whole process on both tends of the pond leave a lot of chances for mistakes.
They are going after these trucks for a number of reasons.
- The quantity is still manageable, ~40 compared to thousands of JD tractors
-criminal case against the NC dude
-send a clear message to others

Does anybody here really assume there is ANY privacy outside of your own home? Any time you step foot out your front door you're being watched. Maybe its the guy walking his dog, or the jogger passing by, or some creepy dude in a trench coat, or a law enforcement officer, or the Google car, or government satellite imagery. Whatever, just the way it is.
That's why I think its so funny when people blur out their license plates in pictures. Really? Because 100's of people on the road everyday don't have an unobstructed view of your license plate?
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:05 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
let's not forget...

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:17 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Has anyone here caught themselves being watched?
...and within 30 minutes of this post I am visited by an agent! They are obviously keeping close tabs on this thread!
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:20 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Exactly I doubt any of us here would take issue with a puma vin swap being taken based on factual information but this was just a witch hunt with incorrect information.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:21 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Only 1? They usually visit in packs of 8-12.

-Jeff
Only one spoke to me, the other three stayed in the car where I couldn't get a good look at them. But I think they had another car in the area.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:28 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Only one spoke to me, the other three stayed in the car where I couldn't get a good look at them. But I think they had another car in the area.
What did they say/ask? Or was it beagles? This thread is hard to follow.

Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:30 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
I think you just beat Matt for the worst example.
It was my understanding that a majority of these were not bought from an Authorized LRNA dealer. Is that correct?
You're comparing brand new John Deere tractors that get brought into the US in mass quantities. These Land Rover are used and who knows how old(part of the problem), are brought in 1 or 2 at a time, and everybody knows the whole process on both tends of the pond leave a lot of chances for mistakes.
Make the tractor used with 2 previous owners, probably makes it a better example. The point of the example was the that the data/information used to term the tractor "contraband" was wrong and what the impact to the current owner is.

There are few chances for "errors" in my experience. The only errors I encounter with any regularity are shipping line clerks making mistakes, but then I'm not "everyone" and I'm sure "everyone" does this daily.

The point was simple, a perceived mistatement on entry was the basis for terming the trucks "contraband" in the warrant. The reason/evidence given turns out to be a mistake by the manufacturer not the importer or the dealership. This case is about 40 or so VINs and that they are contraband and that was the justification they were seized. Take away the contraband part and what do you have ?

Dividing Creek Imports

Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:33 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
What did they say/ask? Or was it beagles? This thread is hard to follow.
He tried to "break the ice" with some comment about how when he was in the Army, how badly he had wanted a Land Rover. Then he got all condescending, asked me if I had kids, and preached to me for like 5 minutes about bad things happening to good people...
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:36 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Jehovah's Witness possibly??
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:39 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
So my question is beyond the flawed date data, and apon inspection to confirm the VIN's and they aren't stolen, what happens when they find engines that are in violation of the EPA laws regarding type accepted engines. If you follow the letter of the law, you can import anything you want, but do not break the law until you install it. So I'd be curious as to what happens now that there are several trucks(300tdis'TD5's) in custody that violate the Clean Air Act?
Think about this from an ability to prosecute. They would have to have records as to what was under the hood on entry to prosecute. Do you really think a US District Atty would prosecute each individual owner who has changed his engine since entry ?

I'm not sure what they have. I think the td5 was a lot of peoples assumption because land rover was saying trucks were 2000 models. Once Will shared a VIN decoder with them (JLRNA) they recanted quickly.
My understanding is several of the trucks seized/listed were doa/non runners because the originals were out being worked on or replaced.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:40 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
Jehovah's Witness possibly??
Then he served me with a notice to appear...

in church

And he hopped back in his unmarked Gold Buick Park Avenue
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:46 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:

in church

And he hopped back in his unmarked Gold Buick Park Avenue
If they aren't on bikes it's a trap! Bar the door and throw bottles of Jack Daniel at them til they leave!

Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:52 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
This is why it pays to be vigilant. I don't care how good they are - no way they would have been able to get away with this on me...and I suspect a few others on here would have smelled something quite quick too. Complacency leads to apathy.
Hmm! I kind of suspect the utility truck parked in front of my next door neighbors house facing my house with someone sitting in it no less. I don't even have a Defender. I must be guilty by association because I've been in one.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:54 AM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Think about this from an ability to prosecute. They would have to have records as to what was under the hood on entry to prosecute. Do you really think a US District Atty would prosecute each individual owner who has changed his engine since entry ?

I'm not sure what they have. I think the td5 was a lot of peoples assumption because land rover was saying trucks were 2000 models. Once Will shared a VIN decoder with them (JLRNA) they recanted quickly.
My understanding is several of the trucks seized/listed were doa/non runners because the originals were out being worked on or replaced.
I see where your coming from limiting it to the language used in the warrant for the seizure. If this is limited to the state of the vehicles when they arrived, then it should be cut and dry...
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:55 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
Hmm! I kind of suspect the utility truck parked in front of my next door neighbors house facing my house with someone siting in it no less.
I don't even have a Defender. I must be guilty by association because I've been in one.
Remember, the defendents are the Defenders. Defender defendents..ers..ish. So it's your Disco that is guilty by association. Boooo!

------ Follow up post added July 22nd, 2014 12:55 PM ------

..sorry, when I said Defender, I meant 90's and 110's.

Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:02 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:

in church
Had an older gentleman approach me in a parking lot this weekend and hand me the exact same magazine...

Black helicopters are next
Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:03 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Remember, the defendents are the Defenders. Defender defendents..ers..ish. So it's your Disco that is guilty by association. Boooo! ------ Follow up post added July 22nd, 2014 12:55 PM ------ ..sorry, when I said Defender, I meant 90's and 110's.
It's a baby Defender. When it grows up, it wants to be a Defender 110.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:06 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
via Imgflip Meme Maker
Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:13 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:

..sorry, when I said Defender, I meant 90's and 110's.
You had better get your nomenclature correct if you ever want to see one of those fabled mugs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu