Capri's...

------ Follow up post added July 21st, 2014 09:45 PM ------

Or daisy dukes..
You are such a Metrosexual Wanker *LOL*

------ Follow up post added July 21st, 2014 10:42 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
Dunno which one is worse

Pedro if you sport that outfit this weekend..

I will shoot you and get a Congressional Medal of Honor
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2014, 09:47 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
So I go out drinking for a couple of hours to consol a friend who has to break up with his hot Chilean GF onlly to miss 1.000! Damn you JPayne!!!
Maybe you'll get the girl in the end.
Old July 21st, 2014, 09:52 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by couga861900 View Post
Please Uncle would you explain this statement, "Unfortunately if there is no drive train and registration you are only importing parts and do not get the documents you would need to title the assembly as a vehicle based on its VIN. "

Does the truck have to have UK registration? I know someone who is looking to import a truck that was parked for 2 years and is not reg. if he lives in Texas, how will he get a UK reg. ? Now I'm lost.
Doesn't matter what country- a foreign registration is a requirement for entry into the US. Ie need to document ownership from export country.

In the UK a vehicle has a document called a logbook or V5. This document is our equivalent to a title and is issued by the dvla. The Uk Customs officers wont let you ship a vehicle out with out a V5. Just because a truck has been off the road doesn't mean the V5 isn't available.
A vehicle doesn't need to be road worthy to exit the UK. Many middle Eastern countries require that a vehicle be road worthy to export.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2014, 10:10 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post

Dont make me break out a Lavatar.

-Jeff
You don't have the cojones

Old July 21st, 2014, 10:23 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Wow! I go away for a meeting today and I come back to find near complete chaos!

So, I guess everyone wants to know how the meeting went? I apologize for my delay in giving an update, but I felt it was prudent to first provide information to the parties that I'm representing before turning my attention to the board. Now that I've done that, I'll share what I can with you all.

My meeting with the US Attorney and the DHS Agent went very well. We all three agreed that the meeting was a positive one. It lasted for a little over an hour and a half and we plan to reconvene again sometime within the coming days.

I know many of you will likely want more details, but I've agreed to limit my response here for now. I perceive this to be in the best interest of the parties I am representing and I hope that you all will respect that. As Doug stated correctly just a few posts ago, my first priority is seeing as many of these vehicles as possible returned to their respective owners. And I'm not willing to do anything which might compromise that.

I'm currently representing a majority percentage of the vehicles held in custody and I'm still receiving emails daily regarding requests for representation (I received 3 more solicitations just this afternoon alone). It is my intention to keep things orderly and organized as I believe it will lead to accomplishing more in the long run. My offer for Pro Bono representation still stands to those effected. If your vehicle is one of the 40+ that was seized on July 15th, please feel free to send me an email at:

will@williamhedricklaw.com

Thank you all for your patience in this matter and I promise that I will share more details when the time is appropriate.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:28 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Doesn't matter what country- a foreign registration is a requirement for entry into the US. Ie need to document ownership from export country. In the UK a vehicle has a document called a logbook or V5. This document is our equivalent to a title and is issued by the dvla. The Uk Customs officers wont let you ship a vehicle out with out a V5. Just because a truck has been off the road doesn't mean the V5 isn't available. A vehicle doesn't need to be road worthy to exit the UK. Many middle Eastern countries require that a vehicle be road worthy to export.
Oh! Ok, I see. I thought you were talking about something else. My buddy has the V5. What about a truck with a 200tdi in it? Does he need to take it out and put in a 2.5td and ship the 200tdi separately?
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:31 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:

Oh! Ok, I see. I thought you were talking about something else. My buddy has the V5. What about a truck with a 200tdi in it? Does he need to take it out and put in a 2.5td and ship the 200tdi separately?
Doug explained this very well in a previous post.

200tdi is a no-no

Old July 21st, 2014, 10:31 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72

Registry
Quote:
Would he need papers from the scrap yard where he brought the 2.6td? Or would the 2.6td be enough to constitute "original"!
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:46 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Would he need papers from the scrap yard where he brought the 2.6td? Or would the 2.6td be enough to constitute "original"!
Not trying to be a dick but this has been covered in detail 100's of times on this site, In this thread the question has been asked and answered several times as well.
Short answer is if the truck was built with a 2.5td that is what must be under the hood.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old July 21st, 2014, 10:55 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Not trying to be a dick but this has been covered in detail 100's of times on this site, In this thread the question has been asked and answered several times as well. Short answer is if the truck was built with a 2.5td that is what must be under the hood.
A classic case of one government agency not knowing what another allows.
According to the EPA, when replacing an engine such as in a conversion, the engine must be of the same year or newer.
Old July 21st, 2014, 11:14 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72

Registry
Quote:
Not trying to be a dick but this has been covered in detail 100's of times on this site, In this thread the question has been asked and answered several times as well. Short answer is if the truck was built with a 2.5td that is what must be under the hood.
Thanks a lot. He'll figure it out. I guess he'll have to do his own research. I get different answers on this topic from on this site as well as other sites. I imported my truck with out this site by researching he'll have to do the same.

------ Follow up post added July 21st, 2014 10:19 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
Doug explained this very well in a previous post. 200tdi is a no-no
Thanks Dro. But it seems that my question was not fully read. We know that 200tdi is a "no no". That wasn't the question. Anyway, forget it.
Old July 21st, 2014, 11:35 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1986 D110 V8

Registry
Quote:
Told you guys this. They typically respond same day. The heritage certificate is worthless as I have said repeatedly unless you want something to hang on the wall. The 6gbp email is all that is needed.
Thanks to Douglas' recommendation, I did the same and received confirmation that my truck was legit. Furthermore, for those of you who know or have the British plates that came on their truck (as in my case), you can go to the DVLA's website @ https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla, enter your plate number and it would tell you what year your truck was manufactured and the 1st time it was registered in the UK.

I'm attaching 2 pics as pertains to my truck, as an example. Hope that helps put some minds at ease, as it did mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gmail - Web enquiry_Redacted.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	99136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vehicle enquiry - GOV_Redacted.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	99137  

Defenderless for now!
Old July 21st, 2014, 11:47 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Dro. But it seems that my question was not fully read. We know that 200tdi is a "no no". That wasn't the question. Anyway, forget it.
At this point we have to assume you are joking. You said - and I quote - "what about a truck with a 200tdi in it?". Then you harp on Dro for answering the question? A question, mind you, that shouldn't have been asked (or needed to be asked).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 22nd, 2014, 01:39 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
TeriAnn
Its been outlined several times but here goes one more;
In order to qualify for the exemption from DOT's safety standards, on entry the vehicle must be on its original chassis/frame. It doesn't have to even run and the frame can be in such terrible shape you can put your fist through the rust holes.
I caught that part when it first came through.

Quote:
Once it is granted entry/clears Customs, many are immediately disassembled and reframed. This is legal.
I got this as well. But what thew me was this message:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
Willh,

I saw your post showing the quotes about DOT saying putting a new chassis in was OK. As with most things governmental here is the one that contradicts that:

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/20962.ztv.html

"As we have advised in a long-standing series of interpretations, the mounting of a used body to a new chassis constitutes the manufacture of a new motor vehicle which must meet all FMVSS that apply as of the date of its assembly. The vehicle would also be titled with the year of its assembly. An entity that assembles a vehicle in this manner would be a "manufacturer" under our laws, and required to ensure compliance of the vehicle with all applicable Federal requirements including the VIN (49 CFR Part 565), and to certify compliance of the vehicle (49 CFR Part 567). For example, if you were to assemble this vehicle today, it would have to meet all currently applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards such as those that prescribe criteria that must be met in frontal and side impacts."
It appears to me that they are referring to any vehicle within the US that gets a new frame. The statement is just ambiguous enough that I'm not sure the regulates refer to all vehicles of just to vehicles located outside the US.

Quote:
Since the shipping costs for a rolling chassis are higher than for a running driving vehicle most go for a runner with paperwork.
The earliest MoD Wolf Land Rover has several more years to go before it hits 25 years of age. And being a law abiding citizen I would never want to do anything illegal or that might be construed as shady. But the Wolf specs include a reinforced frame that is much stronger than the civilian frames plus stronger axle assemblies.

My thought is to bring in a rolling Wolf frame and reframe a vehicle that is legally inside the US but has its original rotting frame. I'm just trying to asertain if I could bring in both a legal one ten two door or high capacity pickup that has a rusted out frame and brought in a rolling Wolf chassis that is less than 25 years old, then reframed the truck with the rusted frame inside the US with documentation, would it still be a legal to own the vehicle in the US.

It was the statement that said if you reframe a vehicle it must be registered as the year that you reframed it. Which would make it less than 25 years old. I guess I get confused easily since I usually don't deal with a vehicle younger than 50 years old.

Old July 22nd, 2014, 02:08 AM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc4 View Post
Wow. That thing is UGLY. I'd say it should go in the Land Rovers That Suck thread, but I don't think anyone would want to claim it as a Rover.
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:06 AM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72

Registry
Quote:
Am I the only person that can read? The obvious was address but the question still stands. Would someone let me know if the above was answered. We all know that a 200tdi can not be imported. So why only answer that bloody or quote portion of the question.

------ Follow up post added July 22nd, 2014 06:09 AM ------

Quote:
Am I the only person that can read? The obvious was address but the question still stands. Would someone let me know if the above was answered. We all know that a 200tdi can not be imported. So why only answer that bloody or quote portion of the question.
--------> Would he need papers from the scrap yard where he brought the 2.6td? Or would the 2.6td be enough to constitute "original". <--------
Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:13 AM
Linoge
Jonathan
1985 D90

Thanks for posting the link to the license plate verification site, Sam.

Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:28 AM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
"Americans are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, but civil forfeiture turns that principle on its head. With civil forfeiture, your property is guilty until you prove it innocent. Civil forfeiture&ndash;where the police may seize property upon the mere suspicion that it may have some connection to criminal activity&ndash;threatens the property rights of all Americans."

http://www.forbes.com/2011/06/08/pro...orfeiture.html

"Civil forfeiture essentially does not exist under North Carolina law. Property can only be forfeited if the property owner is actually convicted of a crime. If he is convicted, the burden is on him to show why the property cannot be forfeited. Moreover, law enforcement does not receive any percentage of forfeiture proceeds."

https://www.ij.org/asset-forfeiture-...north-carolina
Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:36 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
We all know that a 200tdi can not be imported.
A 200tdi can be imported. As long as it is over 21 years old and on its own pallet, ie not in a vehicle.

As far as I know any engine over 21 years old is EPA exempt. Not all 200tdi are over 21 but some are.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:39 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
--------> Would he need papers from the scrap yard where he brought the 2.6td? Or would the 2.6td be enough to constitute "original". <--------
You can find the answer on another thread...go research...or alternatively bug someone else with these Q in emails off the thread - OR BEST OPTION ----> Ask the person you are going to use to do the import.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu