Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 21st, 2014, 08:06 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
Big day today. Thoughts and prayers appreciated.
Good luck and keep us posted!
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2014, 08:09 AM
Hitch
scott
86/ 110

Quote:
I've been praying for you since Wednesday.
Good luck. May the force be with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2014, 08:13 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Go get 'em Will!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2014, 08:15 AM
cjbenway
Chris Benway
1984 LR 90 ( Hedrick Rover )

Registry
Old July 21st, 2014, 08:33 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Yeah Will - good luck!
Old July 21st, 2014, 08:37 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Willh,

I saw your post showing the quotes about DOT saying putting a new chassis in was OK. As with most things governmental here is the one that contradicts that:

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/20962.ztv.html

"As we have advised in a long-standing series of interpretations, the mounting of a used body to a new chassis constitutes the manufacture of a new motor vehicle which must meet all FMVSS that apply as of the date of its assembly. The vehicle would also be titled with the year of its assembly. An entity that assembles a vehicle in this manner would be a "manufacturer" under our laws, and required to ensure compliance of the vehicle with all applicable Federal requirements including the VIN (49 CFR Part 565), and to certify compliance of the vehicle (49 CFR Part 567). For example, if you were to assemble this vehicle today, it would have to meet all currently applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards such as those that prescribe criteria that must be met in frontal and side impacts."

Hopefully yours will hold more weight and best of luck with everything.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old July 21st, 2014, 08:38 AM
JoeMcD
Joe
1988 D90

Registry
Godspeed will.
Old July 21st, 2014, 08:53 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
Willh,

I saw your post showing the quotes about DOT saying putting a new chassis in was OK. As with most things governmental here is the one that contradicts that:

"As we have advised in a long-standing series of interpretations, the mounting of a used body to a new chassis constitutes the manufacture of a new motor vehicle which must meet all FMVSS that apply as of the date of its assembly. The vehicle would also be titled with the year of its assembly. An entity that assembles a vehicle in this manner would be a "manufacturer" under our laws, and required to ensure compliance of the vehicle with all applicable Federal requirements including the VIN (49 CFR Part 565), and to certify compliance of the vehicle (49 CFR Part 567). For example, if you were to assemble this vehicle today, it would have to meet all currently applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards such as those that prescribe criteria that must be met in frontal and side impacts."

Mike:

The later letter to Roger Williams that Willh posted actually references the above letter/correspondence to John Harland (and that they did not allow Harland to import as he detailed under the 25-year-rule). However, since they point this out right in Roger's letter I'd say it doesn't contradict it, but rather acknowledges it. The difference being that Roger Williams wanted to retain the old/original chassis, and Harland wanted to use a new chassis.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 21st, 2014, 08:56 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Mike:

The later letter to Roger Williams that Willh posted actually references the above letter/correspondence to John Harland (and that they did not allow Harland to import as he detailed under the 25-year-rule). However, since they point this out right in Roger's letter I'd say it doesn't contradict it, but rather acknowledges it. The difference being that Roger Williams wanted to retain the old/original chassis, and Harland wanted to use a new chassis.

I have to admit I have been "skimming" the thread, not reading in detail, so thanks for the clarification.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old July 21st, 2014, 09:22 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Incredibly grateful for what you are doing, Will. Go forth and be awesome.

Quote:
Old July 21st, 2014, 09:50 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
'71 IIA 88 LS1 coiler, '84 110, +++

"I'm amazed that this offended/ shocked/amazed no one other than Will and I.

The silence was deafening. " -Uncle Doug

I knew this immediately when the 110 was 'recovered' at the parent's home. I believe that far more of us fully understand the implications of the police state we live under due to over zealous federal agencies to militarized local police departments.... all for our own good, of course.
Having been employed by the gov't for the last 36 years provides me with a small window into the incredible levels of stupidity and arrogance of some people.... mostly those that have advanced to a level of power and grand paranoia that warrants conspiracy theories from the rest of us. Mind you I'm not even in an agency that is associated the 'Umbrella Corp' of Homeland Security but I've seen the general mode of operandi for longer than I care too.
As pointed out, there are mole(s) in the thread taking notes and adding fodder to justify more intrusion and to justify their gov't pay checks so the 'silence is golden' rule is probably warranted.

Ignore the above rant, Mr. Federal agent. I so love you guys and gals! I'm just trying to get this thread to the 1000 post mark.
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:06 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
Willh,

Mike I think the focal point is that they consider the chassis to be the vehicle. Changing the body to a new one is fine per dot but changing the chassis under the original body isn't.
I have made Will fully aware that this is NOT how the law is being enforced. Customs has videos out there that they published of officers pointing out glass codes, stainless hardware, push button doors on earlier trucks etc. All moot points per DOT's published opinion letter.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old July 21st, 2014, 10:44 AM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

I sent in a build date request to the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust/ Heritage Motor Centre on Saturday and got a response today. I didn't expect it so fast.

Dear Mr XXXXX

Further to your enquiry the build date recorded for chassis number SALLDXXXXXXXXXXXXX is 4th June 1986.

Regards

Jan Valentino
Archive Research
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:53 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Best wishes today Will

Someone is trying to tell us something this song came on while I was posting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3964016511.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	488.5 KB
ID:	99114  
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:57 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Agreed, best wishes to Will and the people he is helping!
Old July 21st, 2014, 11:08 AM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Go get 'em Will...
Old July 21st, 2014, 11:33 AM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Quote:
You may find this...... ironic, funny....I don't know.....something! But, I found out on Friday that the supervisor for the DHS Office here in Raleigh actually owns a Defender.

Get out of here! He might be one of us. That's creepy.

------ Follow up post added July 21st, 2014 10:42 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by couga861900 View Post
Get out of here! He might be one of us. That's creepy.
Good luck Will.
Old July 21st, 2014, 11:45 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Freakin told you!

Please remember this is my opinion...I'm not asking to have my head kicked in over this...

I'm surprised everyone is so surprised at all of this surveillance and monitoring and the like. If you think this is bad you'd slit your wrists if you knew what can really go on. A flight attendant can have someone arrested just like YOU can arrest someone...Agency's monitor all calls, wires, internet traffic etc...with the technology available...seriously, think about it. One time I was meeting a defender friend for the first time at his house so I Googled his addy...you know how I knew it was the right place? I saw the oil drips on his driveway from the Google map.

I'm not saying I agree or it's correct and proper behavior or that discussing it is wrong...this is all a good thing. People have to get angry for change. This have been going on longer than all of us...Hell even hand prints on cave walls is societal monitoring....

This is why Bill Larson owns a cave in Costa Rica that is part of a privately owned gated mountain community, with a lake in front of the cave that has fresh water sharks with laser beams on their heads.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 21st, 2014, 11:49 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Ten View Post
I sent in a build date request to the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust/ Heritage Motor Centre on Saturday and got a response today. I didn't expect it so fast.

Dear Mr XXXXX

Further to your enquiry the build date recorded for chassis number SALLDXXXXXXXXXXXXX is 4th June 1986.

Regards

Jan Valentino
Archive Research
Told you guys this. They typically respond same day. The heritage certificate is worthless as I have said repeatedly unless you want something to hang on the wall. The 6gbp email is all that is needed.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old July 21st, 2014, 11:49 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 95 RRC

You can't hate on sharks with laser beams!!!
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu