Homeland Security took my 110 - Page 44 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 20th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

To everyone who are new to this forum: Before posting anything related to this (or any other) topic, please make sure you have searched and read all the threads related to the topic that you are planning to comment on. There is a lot of information that has already been covered so it would be prudent for you to listen and learn before commenting. In this case I suggest reading the "What is legal" thread before moving on to this one.

Here is a link: What's legal? Frame swaps, importing, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8engine View Post
Bit worried about a ref to UK steve being a 'fan' of someone negative on this situation of seized vehicles.UK steve is not biased in anyway towards anyone,Just looking forwards to a positive conclusion to an unhappy situation that you guys in USA are having at present,and would like to understand what is legal and what is not.The Forum is a wonderfull base to see all about this, and i hope everyone can post all things good or bad on the forum for people to see,in a democratic way in a country that is supposed to have a freedom of speech.If the Feds are watching,we should all stick to the law,i am not saying that anyone should break it.Just understand what is allowed in or what is not.If stuff is allowed in,How are people legally allowed to modify it in years to come,or are they always going to be under a threat of seizure? FACTS thats all i reckon should be asked. -it will help importers or potential exporters from UK understand the law.
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2014, 02:13 PM
v8engine
Steve
1987 110 Tithanous

Hmmm, don't quite understand the last comment.Where is the 'Whats legal' thread on the forum,just tried to look for it and cannot see it.Can you supply the attatchment to the thread? I am not a UK exporter,just someone that wants to bring a UK vehicle legally to USA to use over there,or indeed to sell at some point sell in a capitalist way of life,in a democratic USA.As we all do.
Old July 20th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
For those who have asked, I have prepared a document detailing:

How to Manually Decode a Land Rover Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

Please see attachment.

In addition, if you are unsure of the date of manufacture of your particular Land Rover you can, for the cost of £6.00 (i.e., ~ $10.00 US), submit an electronic inquiry to the The Archive of the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust (BMIHT) here:

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co....-services.html

While the document found in the link above is all that is necessary to definitively prove a build date, the BMIHT can also issue decorative Heritage Certificates, if you would prefer to have a document with a more formal appearance. Those can be purchased at the link below:

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co....hive-services/

Disclaimer: I do not take any responsibility for the accuracy of the information provided by the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust as some vehicle reports may contain inaccurate information. Be sure to check your report against your Vehicle Identification Number to verify accuracy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf How to Manually Decode a Land Rover VIN.pdf (227.4 KB, 3029 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Hmmm, don't quite understand the last comment.Where is the 'Whats legal' thread on the forum,just tried to look for it and cannot see it.Can you supply the attatchment to the thread? I am not a UK exporter,just someone that wants to bring a UK vehicle legally to USA to use over there,or indeed to sell at some point sell in a capitalist way of life,in a democratic USA.As we all do.

I just bumped it for you.
Old July 20th, 2014, 02:24 PM
v8engine
Steve
1987 110 Tithanous

heritage document reply

Respectfully, i would say this is a new service generally not known about,i would say to anyone in USA go for this.If it helps,I have never seen this offered before in UK.We all usually have to go for the 4-6 week wait period for a hard copy at approx $70.Which states all of the factory build details and options.I still think this is a good way to go to secure a full spec for any US customs oficals to view.
Old July 20th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Steve, did you get to the "Whats legal thread"?
Old July 20th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Here's a link from earlier in this page
Old July 20th, 2014, 02:37 PM
v8engine
Steve
1987 110 Tithanous

I have just looked again at BL Heritage site,and just to confuse everyone there are 6 options to gain information for your vehicle,starting from GBp £6 upto £85. it seems the greedy Ba---rds have too jumped onto the band wagon to supply information about old BL vehicles.And they are so busy that they cannot do one any sooner than 4-6 weeks.Do not be suprised if this goes up again soon too! I emailed Landrover UK and they gave a simple DOB free of charge by email within 24 hrs,How about that for service!

------ Follow up post added July 20th, 2014 12:39 PM ------

No i could not find the legal thread,where is it? Thanks for replying, Steve UK
Old July 20th, 2014, 03:11 PM
v8engine
Steve
1987 110 Tithanous

Thanks Jpayne,i have picked up the 'whats legal' thread now,it was difficult to pull off the main forum site. -Hmmm,i can see it is a massive problem from state to state,as all rules are different.I can be FL based, and have never experienced such hard issues before there,as we have no emissions or safety checks in FL,so apart from insurance and registration,nothing else seems to rear it 's ugly head. I do think it is important to keep the information available and handy for people to view it regularly and be kept upto date.
Old July 20th, 2014, 04:02 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Specifically to Will and Uncle Douglas: Am I right in saying that (as far is actually known) whether we agree with the way the government is doing it or not, and whether the trucks taken turn out to be legal or not, what this really comes down to is that someone, somewhere, is committing fraud? Maybe those who lost their trucks need reparations, maybe not. That will be for the court to decide. But really, this case comes down to fraud, right?
Old July 20th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Abu Buckwheat
Malcolm
2005 Defender 110 TD5 Station

Quote:
I have just looked again at BL Heritage site,and just to confuse everyone there are 6 options to gain information for your vehicle,starting from GBp £6 upto £85.
FYI if you are a really nice guy you could call and ask your JLRNA Maintenance shop and tell them you are making repairs to your car, give them the VIN and ask for the official printout of the vehicle date of manufacture & specs - its the same thing as the BLHC but without a photo and leather binder!
Old July 20th, 2014, 04:19 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Does the Heritage certificate tell production numbers?
Old July 20th, 2014, 04:28 PM
bigrichmanitoba
Dick Manitoba
No Rovers, Series or Defenders

It's a good thing I don't have any Rovers in my possession anymore. Just American Muscle
Old July 20th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
Specifically to Will and Uncle Douglas: Am I right in saying that (as far is actually known) whether we agree with the way the government is doing it or not, and whether the trucks taken turn out to be legal or not, what this really comes down to is that someone, somewhere, is committing fraud? Maybe those who lost their trucks need reparations, maybe not. That will be for the court to decide. But really, this case comes down to fraud, right?
RBBailey,

I appreciate your curiosity, but this is a prime example of what I was talking about in one of my most recent posts (please go back and read my previous posts).

Regardless Sir, answering your question in an open public forum under the current circumstances would be neither prudent nor professional. I'm sorry but I cannot answer your question at this time. I do not expect that Doug will either.

NOTE TO ALL: I WILL NOT BE ANSWERING QUESTIONS CONCERNING LEGAL THEORIES, SO PLEASE DO NOT ASK!!

Quote:
Old July 20th, 2014, 05:30 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
RBBailey,

I appreciate your curiosity, but this is a prime example of what I was talking about in one of my most recent posts (please go back and read my previous posts).

Regardless Sir, answering your question in an open public forum under the current circumstances would be neither prudent nor professional. I'm sorry but I cannot answer your question at this time. I do not expect that Doug will either.

NOTE TO ALL: I WILL NOT BE ANSWERING QUESTIONS CONCERNING LEGAL THEORIES, SO PLEASE DO NOT ASK!!
Sorry, my question was specifically trying to avoid theories and simplify the issue down to what actually is going on. (As far as you could discuss.)

I meant it to be a general question for the purpose of drawing a line between this issue being about letter of the law vs. the idea that someone is out to get all the Land Rovers. That is, Law vs. Conspiracy.

I was actually trying to avoid/settle the theory issues. But I get why you won't/can't answer.
Old July 20th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
Sorry, my question was specifically trying to avoid theories and simplify the issue down to what actually is going on. (As far as you could discuss.)

I meant it to be a general question for the purpose of drawing a line between this issue being about letter of the law vs. the idea that someone is out to get all the Land Rovers. That is, Law vs. Conspiracy.

I was actually trying to avoid/settle the theory issues. But I get why you won't/can't answer.
RBBailey,

I'm not sure why you've insisted on justifying your question to me, especially when a simple "Understood'" or "OK" would do.

My apologies if this response comes across as curt sir, but I'll make this very simple; if your question will entail asking me for my legal opinion or interpretation of any matter relating to this case, then please save your breath and just don't ask.

And if that didn't drive the point home, let me state clearly and succinctly that there is no need for you to respond or clarify your question any further. I will not be answering it.

Quote:
Old July 20th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

F#%^ing right Dawgy!!! I just wanted to be the 900th post!! Do I win anything?
Old July 20th, 2014, 06:32 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
No, really, that's fine!
Old July 20th, 2014, 06:41 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My new truck just out of the container from Germany. I changed the tags so it can't be traced!

Old July 20th, 2014, 07:12 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
My new truck just out of the container from Germany. I changed the tags so it can't be traced!

These newer defenders, they look so... plastic-y.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu