Old July 19th, 2014, 06:29 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Some poster had the agents at the time of seizure point out that the number on the block was different. It is evident motor counts and seems to be another thing they looked for in non compliance.
I do recall seeing that now that you mention it. However, it made no mention of that in the official "document" - so not sure that should have even been a conversation the agent should have been having at the time the vehicles were taken. In fact that seems like something that Willh would be having a field day with.

Not to mention - a motor could have easily been changed out at any point in the 3-5 year duration that elapsed in the time the vehicles were granted entry & CBP came knocking. In fact, I know of one situation were someone pulled a motor just a week before they got the knock on the door this week.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2014, 06:33 PM
bigrichmanitoba
Dick Manitoba
No Rovers, Series or Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I do recall seeing that now that you mention it. However, it made no mention of that in the official "document" - so not sure that should have even been a conversation the agent should have been having at the time the vehicles were taken. In fact that seems like something that Willh would be having a field day with.

Not to mention - a motor could have easily been changed out at any point in the 3-5 year duration that elapsed in the time the vehicles were granted entry & CBP came knocking. In fact, I know of one situation were someone pulled a motor just a week before they got the knock on the door this week.
Assumptions...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2014, 06:42 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrichmanitoba View Post
Assumptions...
I'm not making assumptions - the document did not list one single instance related to a motor infraction for one single truck that was taken this week. "Assumptions" would be what you and Viggen are making and stating related to the motor. I'm operating on facts given in the Complaint. It also seems that some of the agents this week made some assumptions, and if anyone they should not be doing so - they should likewise be operating on facts. Like the one board member they kept insisting/assuming was a "2000", when if fact it clearly is not.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 19th, 2014, 06:54 PM
bigrichmanitoba
Dick Manitoba

Quote:
I'm not making assumptions - the document did not list one single instance related to a motor infraction for one single truck that was taken this week. "Assumptions" would be what you and Viggen are making and stating related to the motor. I'm operating on facts given in the Complaint. It also seems that some of the agents this week made some assumptions, and if anyone they should not be doing so - they should likewise be operating on facts. Like the one board member they kept insisting/assuming was a "2000", when if fact it clearly is not.
Old July 19th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrichmanitoba View Post
Vigger hit the nail on the head!
I would not go that far but it is something that the agent apparently mentioned. I assume that the bonnet was open when they were checking the VIN tag but to take a look at the motor for a number would seem to me that they had that information somewhere. Now, since his was a V8, I would probably understand his was probably legit.

Most of this thread is pure assumption.
Old July 19th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Rover110
Steve
1993 Defender 110 NAS #472

WELL STATED, Jarrod.

Andy Dufresne: What about you? What are you in here for?
Red: Murder, same as you.
Andy Dufresne: Innocent?
Red: [shakes his head] Only guilty man in Shawshank.

[QUOTE=Viggen;547459]Preacher speaks and the congregation rises to their feet in a group "Amen." Okay.

1. Do not condescend to someone who is not as fresh faced and innocent to the world of British automobiles as you might think I am.

Old July 19th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
I can guarantee they will be the first ones to pull a u turn cross 4 lanes of traffic to get back to you if they see you are broken down on the side of the road. They will never leave you broke down or stuck on a trail. If you are back at camp and have a problem with your truck you will have more skilled hands pitching in to help you to get back running than you know what to do with.
I've been reading through all of the posts run amuck just now and I got down to this. I hope you don't mind, but with all the negativity I've just seen, I took the liberty of parsing your post down to the part that I really thought mattered.

THIS.....is why I am doing what I'm doing. I've received a lot of praise for my actions but I honestly do not consider myself to be any different than any of you who've stopped and helped someone pull a broken axle on the trail, or those of you who've driven an hour out of your way to pick up a friend's busted truck on your trailer only to spend the rest of the weekend helping that friend replace a diff so they can get home.

I'm no different than anyone else.....I just have an extra tool in my tool box. And, luckily enough, it's the one that is needed.

And to think, I always knew this law degree would come in handy some day......

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old July 19th, 2014, 07:15 PM
bigrichmanitoba
Dick Manitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
I've been reading through all of the posts run amuck just now and I got down to this. I hope you don't mind, but with all the negativity I've just seen, I took the liberty of parsing your post down to the part that I really thought mattered.

THIS.....is why I am doing what I'm doing. I've received a lot of praise for my actions but I honestly do not consider myself to be any different than any of you who've stopped and helped someone pull a broken axle on the trail, or those of you who've driven an hour out of your way to pick up a friend's busted truck on your trailer only to spend the rest of the weekend helping that friend replace a diff so they can get home.

I'm no different than anyone else.....I just have an extra tool in my tool box. And, luckily enough, it's the one that is needed.

And to think, I always knew this law degree would come in handy some day......
Reminds me of this one time a guy in a 90 flashed his brights and honked his horn for me to pullover. So he gets out and tells me that my one of my brake lights is out. While we were exchanging pleasantries and talking shop, State Police pulls over and I got a ticket for it.
Old July 19th, 2014, 07:28 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
I've been in communication with the general counsel for Jaguar Land Rover North America today. It was relayed to me from their counsel's office late this afternoon that they have provided CBP and the US Attorney with a document that is meant to revise the document which was included in the Complaint, which I posted a little earlier.
From some of the data I've seen JLRNA provided, they may want to start warming up their pens for formal apologies as well - I wonder how likely that is...
Old July 19th, 2014, 07:52 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
The agent's affidavit clearly explains that all of his findings are not conveyed. That only what he thought necessary to secure the warrant was provided.
It is more than plausible that engine type is part of his findings withheld. Perplexed why people still chose to ignore this.
Come clean -- of the trucks jacked, now many had a Tdi under the hood? That is the white elephant in the room.
Old July 19th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
The agent's affidavit clearly explains that all of his findings are not conveyed. That only what he thought necessary to secure the warrant was provided.
It is more than plausible that engine type is part of his findings withheld. Perplexed why people still chose to ignore this.
Come clean -- of the trucks jacked, now many had a Tdi under the hood? That is the white elephant in the room.
Exactly what I have been trying to put out there. The reason everyone wants a Defender is for the tdi, which was not factory installed until 1990. How many on the list were claimed to be 1990s? It would be THE easiest way to catch a non conforming vehicle. If you can prove yours is a 200tdi and that you installed it after it was bought (since 2011 would have been your acceptance date with that motor), I would imagine that you would be fine. If yours has a 300tdi, I would imagine your goose is cooked as I do not believe that motor has hit its 21 year mark. I also do not understand all the ridiculous arguing of semantics on something as cut and dry as the motor. They have the trucks, they can look under the hood and figure out what is there. If it is any diesel other than the 2.5/ 2.5TD/ 200, case closed, that truck is not coming back.
Old July 19th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Well at least the CBP have two fanboys on this forum, you and Big Dick Manitoba.
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:00 PM
dfndr97
David

I can't believe how this thread turned into a shit fest!
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:31 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Show me one that hasn't!

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:40 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

Is there a way to subscribe to this thread but only be notified when willh posts? Way too much chaff to sort through otherwise.
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:54 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Exactly what I have been trying to put out there. The reason everyone wants a Defender is for the tdi, which was not factory installed until 1990..
Really? Everyone?
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:58 PM
110fender
devin
1987 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by genie90 View Post
Is there a way to subscribe to this thread but only be notified when willh posts? Way too much chaff to sort through otherwise.
Ask him to start another thread and have him ask to ask the rest of the board to stay quiet unless he asks a specific question. I think, with the importance of this, even the 'interesting' board members with keep quiet unless needed. I do agree with the crowd source piece of everyone kicking in a few bucks to help the cause. I will help any way I can.

This thread has definitely strayed from to initial topic...that unsuspecting, unknowing, good folks got a difficult surprise, which is terrible due to one unscrupulous crook in NC trying to make a buck. Lots of other related topics but, remember, this this the main one. As I said above, I would like to help where I can to get these trucks back to their owners and hope that people will do the same.
Old July 19th, 2014, 10:02 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
'71 IIA 88 LS1 coiler, '84 110, +++

Give me a diesel that is functional and I'm all in. Quite frankly, a 4 cyl turbo diesel serves me no purpose. Now, a good small V8 diesel would suit me well. Until then I'll be happy with a petrol V8.
Old July 19th, 2014, 10:21 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Go read the sixth page numbered paragraph 4. Where the guy explicitly states he isn't including every piece of info just enough to get the vehicles "arrested".
Old July 20th, 2014, 12:21 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzzzzzz View Post
Give me a diesel that is functional and I'm all in. Quite frankly, a 4 cyl turbo diesel serves me no purpose. Now, a good small V8 diesel would suit me well. Until then I'll be happy with a petrol V8.
I've often wondered if Jag's diesel V6 or V8 would fit into a Series engine bay.

Other that that there is always searching for a totaled jeep diesel in the near future

People have been putting GM 6.2 V8 diesels in Series trucks, and I have seen one with a Cummins BT6 inside.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu