Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 15th, 2014, 12:01 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
I cannot remember am I supposed to blame Bush or Obama this time ;-)

If they take mine, they are blind. The VIN is on the frame, brake booster, AND the seat box.

Also, I'll be walking, because my LR3 needs an engine at the moment.

------ Follow up post added July 15th, 2014 10:58 AM ------

This is probably exactly what's going on. Kind of like when Clinton bombed Iraq during his Monica scandal. Ok, maybe not exactly the same
Blame the dickheads who VIN swap to make quick money or take part in whatever CBP is investigating. And stop patronizing them and buying their used parts or even having conversations with them. Shun them from the community because they are ruining it for at least 160 people not to mention those that have already had their vehicles taken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2014, 12:02 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCarr View Post
if they take my 109, I would save thousands a year in repair bills. but they had better bring a tow truck and there's a 50% chance it will be at a mechanic on any given day.
These guys have had a prized asset seized, are out tens of thousands of dollars and you are making jokes. What a tool.....
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:03 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
These guys have had a prized asset seized, are out tens of thousands of dollars and you are making jokes. What a tool.....
I just make jokes so that I don't get angry, and say something threatening that might get me thrown in jail. I'm not trying to make fun of their situation. Sorry if it comes across that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2014, 12:04 PM
atlcruiser
david
many

This does suck but CBP is just doing its job. How many Federal laws does one need to break before they raise an eyebrow?

Agreement with the laws and regulations has no bearing on weather they should be enforced. Most all of us will agree this is pretty chicken shit stuff on an individual level but when you are talking hundred of trucks and people making serious money off of an illegal enterprise it changes the nature of all of this.

If your truck is legit and you have paperwork it is fine. If you put a different motor in that truck you are fine as long as it was after importation.

If it is legit and came in through the NC connection it might be taken but will be returned upon appeal. That sucks as well as it costs time and money for you and I genuinely feel for you.

If your truck is not legit then it will be taken. Best case you get to send it off yourself, worst case you pay for it to be stored until destroyed.

No one should go through this and I am genuinely sorry for the loss and stress these events will cause for many people. I would be contacting an attorney quickly.

I am more than happy to set up shipping out of the US and to receive the truck in the UK at cost until a better plan can be made.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS + ROVERS LTD
1st Floor, 2, Woodberry Grove
London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Company Registration No. 09003009

Our new Vehicle Sales site:

Old July 15th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Is someone going to start the "Operation Get Zach, Chris, Kevin and 37 others Their Trucks Back" thread??

Too soon?

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:08 PM
scottsdaleaz
Jared
D

It seems like the government is more worried about Defenders than the illegal immigrants they are about to dump off in Oracle, AZ.
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:10 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Homeland Security took my 110

I'm in Albany, NY. My 1983 ROW 110 was seized today at about 9AM.

It was parked at my fathers house about 15 minutes from where I live. It is registered to my home address not my fathers. My poor mother with cancer and my old man who is laid off had ~ 10 Homeland Security officers banging on their door screaming at them if they had any weapons at 8AM on a Tuesday.

I spoke with the agent over the phone who wouldn't tell me his first name. He says I have to meet him at his office and have some type of interview and maybe I will get the vehicle back. He also tells me that the 110 is a model year 2000. I told him to LOOK AT IT AND TELL ME IT'S A 2000. He said that's not for him to judge. It's a 1983 Land Rover 110. End of story.

I am the 3rd US owner and the truck is titled in NYS. I have all the importing paperwork assuming it is legit. I will report back what happens.

What a mismanagement of taxpayer money.

I JUST finished replacing the clutch yesterday. Sons of bitches.
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
This sux. I'm 100% convinced now that the head of CBP is a Toyota guy. They've always hated us!
They seize anything. Nissans, Toyotas, Minis, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
So the all thing is based on custom violations ?
Still disproportioned imo.

Cheers
Broken law is a broken law. Particularly one with a LONG paper trail that is easy to enforce.

Thankfully my spidey sense went off when I ventured down there to look at a 90 a few years ago. I worked at a vintage British only garage for a little more than 10 years. I vividly remembered a customer complaining about how his "1983" Mini being taken. They cracked down on a guy who was brining in new ABS/ EFI equipped cars as early 80s/ late 70s cars.
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:11 PM
RyanCarr
Ryan Carr
1979 Series 3 109

sorry... just trying to add a little levity to a crappy situation.

it sucks that their trucks were taken. I don't even understand WHY the US makes such a big deal out of this stuff. I've seen the videos of imported rovers of <25 years age being crushed and it must be heartbreaking to have it done to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Tophat
Oliver
All sorts of Defenders

Quote:

it sucks that their trucks were taken. I don't even understand WHY the US makes such a big deal out of this stuff. I've seen the videos of imported rovers of <25 years age being crushed and it must be heartbreaking to have it done to you.
Sorry to say but that crushed D110 was a 1992-1995 D110.

It really sucks that people with good intentions bought cars from people who did know what they were doing. They are probably taking all cars and check them by originality.

Hoping for all them guys who's cars are taken that they will get them back. Or more, hoping for them the cars they bought as 25+ yo are really that 25 yo truck...
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:26 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Has there been any effort made to file a lawsuit against the Federal Government challenging the constitutionality of the import law?
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
I just make jokes so that I don't get angry, and say something threatening that might get me thrown in jail. I'm not trying to make fun of their situation. Sorry if it comes across that way.
Dave's the only one that took it that way...it's a coffee thing...
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:30 PM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

Quote:
No harm done( for me at least). I got a chuckle out of it, it is funny because it is true
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

What do the seizure orders say? I would not talk to anyone about anything before you talk to a lawyer.
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:32 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I'm wondering if they are seizing anything that was even worked on in that particular shop..just in case they received non-compliant parts onto them.. Hard to imagine that he imported 185 defenders.. 25 already seized and another 160..??? What happens if the truck isn't there when they come knocking.. Like if its been sold or even if its just stored off premises... What's their power then.??
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:35 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

There were over 180 vehicles listed on the original search warrant. It doesn't matter if you are the 3rd, 5th or 10th owner, it comes down to it was illegal when it came in, plain and simple. Easy to track based on VIN
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:44 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

So how many people have changed their profile vehicle descriptions in the last 3.5hrs?

Maybe I'll change mine to something blatantly illegal just for fun.
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:46 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Stolen or reVINed trucks is one thing. Seizing perfectly acceptable 25 year old truck/engines is another.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:49 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
So how many people have changed their profile vehicle descriptions in the last 3.5hrs?

Maybe I'll change mine to something blatantly illegal just for fun.
nothing says fun like being the target of criminal investigation...
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:54 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
nothing says fun like being the target of criminal investigation...
I own three D1's so let them have fun.

So for those with seized trucks; are you able to recover personal property that was in or bolted to the vehicle? Like seat covers, winches, lights, etc?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu