Homeland Security took my 110 - Page 39 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 19th, 2014, 06:46 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Someone needs to shut this thread down, with perhaps only will being able to post. The troll factor is hitting 11 and we are all biting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomiti View Post
Many assumptions you make. No other attorneys here? No one else know the doctor and may know if he is/has been in custody? At this point, there are a myriad of things he could be charged with.

You'd think that yourself might be interested in his whereabouts particularly since you've been in essence defending him by pointing out the mistakes that the AUSA made when relying JLRNA's info?

Aren't you a prominent importer too? Aren't you concerned that this fallout could effect you, even though you're a know-it-all? I've found that prosecutions tend to be over broad and require the defendant to prove their side (despite what is constitutionally provided for).

Still don't get me or my post?
No assumptions made, a question asked.

If you took a moment to read up on the subject here on this forum before posting, you would know, Aaron has been charged with nothing, working as a chiropractor, never arrested, living day to day in his home in NC. That shoe has yet to drop.

I have made no effort to defend him @ all and have said so. I find what Customs has done here snagging up these trucks on inaccurate information to be reprehensible and think that is clear in my posts. I want JLRNA and Customs held accountable because they have and continue to make egregious errors, not sure I can make that more clear for you.

I have never done business with Aaron but being in an adjacent state have met him @ several Rover events here over the past 6 years like many here.

Concerned about fallout of course. Fairly inane question since that is clearly why I'm so fired up about the whole thing.

You asked "what his criminal liability is"
How the hell would anyone here know that ? This is the post I don't get, pretty sure everyone else got my point.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 19th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Man, the trolls are out in force on this thread!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2014, 07:42 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Didn't you state many pages back that you are an atty ? How is it the atty is asking the laymen ?

I don't get some folks and their posts.
Dolomite = Dolomole
Quote:
Didn't you state many pages back that you are an atty ? How is it the atty is asking the laymen ?

I don't get some folks and their posts.
Old July 19th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
If JLRNA is giving CBP inaccurate information, that results in the seizure and potential crushing of legal land rovers, have they considered their legal liability in this matter?
Jaguar Land Rover North America is very much aware of their liability in this matter.

Also, I do not feel it to be in the best interests of the parties I am representing for me to openly discuss the criminal implications surrounding Mr. Aaron Richardet. Suffice it to say that those details will all come about in due time.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old July 19th, 2014, 07:54 AM
dolomiti
Scott
1987 One Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Dolomite = Dolomole
yes, I've been outed
Old July 19th, 2014, 08:39 AM
danster
diesel dan
1968 series 2a lightweight

a 90 i sold to an american chap a couple of years ago is on that list of vins, it was a 1987 turbo diesel on the list it has the correct vin no but is listed as 1984 not 1987.
i sold it through ebay it was fitted with a 300tdi motor disc braked back axle and discovery transfer box all clearly listed on the advert (they were the big selling points)
cant find who it was as ebay wont go back that far
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:05 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
They are coming out of the woodwork!

So many first posts on this thread!
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:12 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Quote:
Certainly don't recall saying that. If I did what I meant to impart was that prior to the end of 2012 Customs enforced the existing laws quite differently. Many officers handling vehicle entries would tell you, if you asked, that EPA's requirement was 21yrs as per their form and DOT's was 25yrs per their form. Many officers believed that a 21yr old engine in a 25yr old truck was completely legal and this is how the law was enforced. New engines were never cool.

What has changed is how the law is now interpreted and enforced by Customs. I have never seen in writing the "twist" which is that DOT can enforce that the engine needs to be the type the truck was built with, since engines are totally EPA's domain, not DOT's. That said, I haven't spent the hours reading the statutes since it doesn't matter, how they are enforcing is how they are enforcing. I find it fascinating that they point out the a transer case in one truck is from 04 etc. When something generic like an lt230 fails you generally put in the newest one available to you. That's the same regardless of brand the world over and arguably has zero effect on the legal originality of a damn truck. Just more smoke blown @ a Judge to get the warrant signed.
My mistake Doug. When I said "new" I meant not original to the truck. 200 or 300 tdi etc.
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:30 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1986 D110 V8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by danster View Post
a 90 i sold to an american chap a couple of years ago is on that list of vins, it was a 1987 turbo diesel on the list it has the correct vin no but is listed as 1984 not 1987.
i sold it through ebay it was fitted with a 300tdi motor disc braked back axle and discovery transfer box all clearly listed on the advert (they were the big selling points)
cant find who it was as ebay wont go back that far
And your point from this 1st post is what exactly? Fishing for a reward from DHS perhaps?
Defenderless for now!
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:39 AM
danster
diesel dan
1968 series 2a lightweight

thats the reason its on the hit list someones been naughty with the importing thats the whole reason for this thread isnt it?
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:49 AM
dolomiti
Scott
1987 One Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by danster View Post
thats the reason its on the hit list someones been naughty with the importing thats the whole reason for this thread isnt it?
Let it go. You innocently posted something on here and because you're not part of the clique, you'll only get douchebag responses. I've owned a land rover for a little over a month and this thread (and a handful of other negative experiences) has turned me off to the land rover "community."
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Let it go. You innocently posted something on here and because you're not part of the clique, you'll only get douchebag responses. I've owned a land rover for a little over a month and this thread (and a handful of other negative experiences) has turned me off to the land rover "community."
Then why do you keep posting?
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
Amen brother. Great post dood.

And that said from another NoVA know it all that never has owned a Defender

LMAO

------ Follow up post added July 19th, 2014 10:59 AM ------

Quote:
In order to enter the USA exempt from DOT's standards it has to be all original in every way as is outlined in the warrant. Since the chassis is the largest part of the car and the primary identifying part of the car, damn right it has to be original on entry. If not it is considered VIN tampering.

Under the trucks "for Sale" column please read the "whats legal" thread, its a sticky right up top. That's why the moderators created it as an educational resource so new guys don't all ask the same questions over and over again and take threads off topic.

Also , in many states when you register a Historic / Classic car you must sign an affidavit stating " IT HAS NOT BEEN ALTERED, MODIFIED, or OTHERWISE CHANGED significantly from its original state "

I know I know, it is up to perception what significantly means
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:59 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
And that said from another NoVA know it all that never has owned a Defender

LMAO
WTF dood?

I don't need to own a Defender to agree with him

Old July 19th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
You all have seen pretty well everything that I have noticed when I first reviewed the Complaint.

General Counsel for a Jaguar Land Rover North America was made aware of the errors in the document attached to the Complaint earlier today. In light of those errors, JLRNA was very prompt in notifying me that they had issued a revised document to the US Attorney & CBP this afternoon.

I have not seen it yet, but I suspect it will contain some significant changes. I do not anticipate that it will have any more vehicles added to it.

I will know more when I meet with the agent in charge of the investigation and the US Attorney, hopefully on Monday.
Will,

Can you drag those idiots into the mix, we know Doc might be broke with the Attorney fees he might be facing, but JLRNA has plenty of money, perhaps, to remedy the heinous crime committed by one of their own

Btw, I am sure I might be number 1,000,000 to say this... but ....YOU ARE THE BOMB for doing what you are doing
Old July 19th, 2014, 10:03 AM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Someone should kill this thread. It's turning good people against each other.
Old July 19th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Many assumptions you make. No other attorneys here? No one else know the doctor and may know if he is/has been in custody? At this point, there are a myriad of things he could be charged with.

You'd think that yourself might be interested in his whereabouts particularly since you've been in essence defending him by pointing out the mistakes that the AUSA made when relying JLRNA's info?

Aren't you a prominent importer too? Aren't you concerned that this fallout could effect you, even though you're a know-it-all? I've found that prosecutions tend to be over broad and require the defendant to prove their side (despite what is constitutionally provided for).

Still don't get me or my post?

Welcome back Dan
Old July 19th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
I get the whole idea of miss representing vehicles on import and this is wrong and the crooks who do this need to be charged fined or whatever, however, while I don't fault the customs officer doing his job this is bad policy that brings the administration of justice into disrepute and makes public servants look like thugs which is destructive to the country

First to say the vehicles are unsafe is pure administrative BS What is the UK where they came from? A third world country, a banana republic? Solution get rid of import bans on the Rovers and if there is a technical safety objection, a real one give owners and legitimate importers the chance to bring it up to speed. If the restrictions is to only to put a barrier on Rover imports get rid of it go for it and start a genuine trade war with your friends and allies. Duh?

As for people who legitimately bought the vehicles and were hoodwinked by the importer, let them bring the vehicles up to speed and the fines and asset seizures from importer can help pay for this. Sounds like true justice? This should be about justice not revenge by the state on citizens ( a county of the people, by the people, for the people ). Don';t you know your own history and why Americans threw the tea in the harbour.? Why is your own government throwing Rovers/private property in the harbour? It is the mark of a decadent state who has lost touch with its own people and basic civility

I read the seizure and it sounded like Russia or a third world country where there is not sense of fair play or due process. Why did they not just zip tie the owners and put a hood over their heads? Perhaps they should have fired a Hellfire II missile from a Predator at owners on the Road with their Rovers? Saves paperwork?. The whole scene discussed me as civil service out of touch with its own people and impressed with their own power. In the words of Deputy PM Erik Nelson “ Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely”,

Where in the hell are we going with this behavior and lack of impulse control, and lack of regulatory civility? Really?
Does anyone screen this forum ? Do they let ANYONE join just to spout off their one time, ONE POST opinion ???

Is this forum turning into a circus for any clown that wants to join in ?
Old July 19th, 2014, 10:24 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Someone needs to shut this thread down, with perhaps only will being able to post. The troll factor is hitting 11 and we are all biting.
I hope not. This thread is a fascinating look into the human mind when a group of people is emotionally stirred up with people making wild guesses based upon their fears and others rushing to that speculative guess as fact. It helps me understand how people get drawn into riots, lynchings and even to joining terrorist groups.

I'm amazed at the level of pure emotionally charged speculation and how one persons speculation is built upon that of another.

To paraphrase a well known movie line: Facts? We don't need no stinking facts!"

So please keep the thread going. It is very entertaining

Again, my condolences to those of you who have lost their trucks and hopes that they will be returned to you. And my admiration to Will who seems to be the sole fact bringer into this world of baseless emotionally charged speculation. (HERO)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu