Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
So, according to that list, they claim most of the vehicles were imported a few months before they were allowed and that is the reason for the seizures. Good lord. What a waste of tax payer money.
What? What are you talking about?

Did you not see this?
date of first registration as 4/19/1988
Date of production 5/9/1988
Model year claimed 1987

How can you claim a vehicle to be the model year BEFORE it was actually produced? How can you register a vehicle that was not yet produced?

Honestly, the Fed seems to have a pretty good case for a lot of these.
Old July 18th, 2014, 03:54 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post

Did you not see this?
Model year claimed 1987

How can you claim a vehicle to be the model year BEFORE it was actually produced? How can you register a vehicle that was not yet produced?

That's probably flipped dates. Otherwise doesn't make sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2014, 04:02 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:

Did you not see this?
Model year claimed 1987

I just used the one on top since the dates were ODD. Rover said it was made after it was first registered that does not add up. That is all I was trying to point out with that one was the dates did not add up.

Look at the 5th one down the list ~ 3 months off of 25 years
Old July 18th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Abu Buckwheat
Malcolm
2005 Defender 110 TD5 Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
The lone NOVA rig on the list....
Jeez without seeing the frame and engine externally that's almost certainly a 1984 LR 110. Are they claiming it was brought in before 2009?

This is a sad day for all involved. Also when did COLOR CHANGE from the original become a factor in importation!?
Old July 18th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
I just used the one on top since the dates were ODD. Rover said it was made after it was first registered that does not add up. That is all I was trying to point out with that one was the dates did not add up.

Look at the 5th one down the list ~ 3 months off of 25 years
So, the VIN obviously is not correct...right?

Law is the law. Right? I will try that line when I pay my bills. "But, collections department guy, it is only three months late. Why are you hassling me?"
Old July 18th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Good evening everyone,

I just wanted to share one more piece of information before taking a much needed brake for the evening.

I've been in communication with the general counsel for Jaguar Land Rover North America today. It was relayed to me from their counsel's office late this afternoon that they have provided CBP and the US Attorney with a document that is meant to revise the document which was included in the Complaint, which I posted a little earlier.

I have not seen the revised document as yet, and JLR's counsel has referred me to the US Attorney to request a copy, which I have. I expect to receive a copy of this revised document on Monday.

I have a good idea of what I expect the revised document to include, but I am not going to say anything until I've layed eyes on it.

So......how's that for a cliffhanger?

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old July 18th, 2014, 04:37 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
So, the VIN obviously is not correct...right?

Law is the law. Right? I will try that line when I pay my bills. "But, collections department guy, it is only three months late. Why are you hassling me?"
All I was saying is that there is obviously some inconsistencies with the data.

And that from a HUMAN prospective with feelings it is sad to take away someone’s pride and joy over a few months difference.

Sorry that the zeros and ones that comprise your thought process cannot understand compassion but your robotic thought process should be able to understand that the numbers provided by rover on at least one (I have not looked at them all) do not add up.
Old July 18th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:

Did you not see this?
Model year claimed 1987

What that is saying is the importer claimed it to be a 1987 vehicle. But it was actually built in 1988. They imported in 8/16/2012, thus making it 24 years and 3 months old. They seized the vehicle because it was 9 months too new to import. As to why the registration date is shown before manufacture, I have no idea. For most of these, it just seems the importer was not checking build dates close enough. There are only 12 or so that they are claiming are truly "newer" vehicles. Spending huge amounts of money to seize vehicles that missed the letter of the law by a small amount is a bit over the top, IMO. They could have found another avenue to "make this right".

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 18th, 2014, 04:42 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
So......how's that for a cliffhanger?
A good one.

Old July 18th, 2014, 04:45 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

I'll go ahead and say it. It's going to include a shit load more vehicles for seizure!
The first salvo has been fired. Now the real shooting begins.
Old July 18th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
What that is saying is the importer claimed it to be a 1987 vehicle. But it was actually built in 1988. They imported in 8/16/2012, thus making it 24 years and 3 months old. They seized the vehicle because it was 9 months too new to import.
I do not necessarily think that it is the age of the vehicle. It was the fact that there are three dates on the paperwork that are incongruous. Forget the import age. Look at it as someone who enforces the law would. Then, it would seem to make perfect sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
All I was saying is that there is obviously some inconsistencies with the data.

And that from a HUMAN prospective with feelings it is sad to take away someone’s pride and joy over a few months difference.

Sorry that the zeros and ones that comprise your thought process cannot understand compassion but your robotic thought process should be able to understand that the numbers provided by rover on at least one (I have not looked at them all) do not add up.
As for the empathy part, I do empathize with having something taken away from you. It is even worse if you did nothing wrong. In this case, there were very, very many trucks that were brought in that were, in fact, non conforming. I, personally, set eyes on a couple when I drove down there, with money in hand, to purchase a 90. I drove home a couple hours later. Why? The 90 was a royal sack of crap BUT it was supposed to be a 1985 AND it was powered by a 300tdi with an OBD port. "1985" Lucas Electrical Company was SO far ahead of its time it pioneered on board diagnostics. Who knew? I, knowing what the law states, walked away. I have empathy and compassion, but sometimes, those zeros and ones that make me less "human" than you, they matter...
Old July 18th, 2014, 05:14 PM
dolomiti
Scott
1987 One Ten

It seems like this could be the beginning of numerous investigations.
Old July 18th, 2014, 05:15 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Paragraph 19 references a list of 110 vehicles.

Then in paragraph 20, the agent added 3 more vehicles to that list, "making the total 114 vehicles". This literally does not add up.
Old July 18th, 2014, 05:22 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
I still can't get over that they are saying mine is a 2000. Yeah that's right, it's 12 years old. With a welded frame and aluminum turning to dust everywhere.
Old July 18th, 2014, 05:29 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
Paragraph 19 references a list of 110 vehicles.

Then in paragraph 20, the agent added 3 more vehicles to that list, "making the total 114 vehicles". This literally does not add up.
And on page 15 of 19, it's mentioned 51 vehicles

Old July 18th, 2014, 05:36 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
And on page 15 of 19, it's mentioned 51 vehicles
That's the number of the 110 (or 110 +3 = 114) vehicles that were determined to be <25 years old.

I'm not understanding though how they came up with the much later dates of manufacture for VINs that decode as compliant (>25 years old). Maybe that will be explained in the revised document.
Old July 18th, 2014, 05:39 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post

That's the number of the 110 (or 110 +3 = 114) vehicles that were determined to be <25 years old.

I'm not understanding though how they came up with the much later dates of manufacture for VINs that decode as compliant (>25 years old). Maybe that will be explained in the revised document.
A cliffhanger

Old July 18th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Thanks for posting that Will, my girlfriend is studying for the New York Bar right now and enjoyed reading it. It was also nice having her explain some of it to me.

My question is what happens if a Defender was illegally imported a year early, but is now eligible for import?
Old July 18th, 2014, 06:06 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
My question is what happens if a Defender was illegally imported a year early, but is now eligible for import?

That's a very good question. I'm thinking CBP will take the position that passage of time doesn't turn an illegal import into a legal one. I guess we'll find out eventually.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu