Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 18th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
While you talk of conviction, the seizure paperwork is referenced not as a criminal case but as a Civil case.
Therefore on that pending matter no conviction is possible.
good point. I'm no legal expert. Substitute the term "guilty" or "liable" or "screwed" in place of "conviction"

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2014, 12:03 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
We can hardly say we were not expecting this. In the Land Rover community we all knew it was going on, late model Defenders being disguised as early models to meet the 25 year rule for the US (15 year in Canada). The only safe way is to get a vehicle that genuinely meets the requirements, whatever state its in, and import it for renovation. I did and with a lot of help from Rovers North I now have a stunning 1986 110 300tdi with a number of upgrades such as disc brakes all round, 5 speed gear box and a lot of satisfaction. It can be done. As an aside my $1500 investment in an ex military LHD 110 now has an appraised value of $63,000!
I wonder if placing a 300tdi engine meets what's legal.
Old July 18th, 2014, 12:03 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
the CBP is seizing vehicles that THEY approved to enter legally.
I love so many peoples logic on this matter.

If somebody intentionally deceives the government during importation somehow that means according to this logic that the deceiver gets away with it. So I guess if you would support intentionally deceiving the IRS on your taxes and if you get away with it it's their problem and they can't come after you for that money that you intentionally didn't pay. Or if drug smugglers get drugs through the border inside of kewpie dolls then that is cool because the government missed it. Or if a company lies to the government approves a contract that is completely full of bullshit charges that later on when the government finds out that work actually wasn't done, it's too bad because they approved it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2014, 12:07 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Some here probably think Mexico's gun problems are 100% Mexico's issue, regardless if said guns were stolen here and smuggled into Mexico. Yet we point to the UK as the problem for allowing stolen Defenders to leave her ports?
Time for both parties to step up and take some accountability. Thinking this is what CBP is now doing. Makes for a crappy sad situation for the not knowing caught up in the crosshairs.
Old July 18th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
After all this I'm just glad we have so many international rover-law experts chiming in. Where would we be without them? We'd certainly still be calling early trucks Defenders!
Old July 18th, 2014, 12:13 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by couga861900 View Post
You have been posting here for sometime. You are either 1) joking or 2) only post and don't read.
Old July 18th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landerley View Post
Be careful about this. According to the EPA if you change the engine from anything other than what it was imported with you lose the emissions exemption and can get fined (and possibly seized?). http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/documents/420b11015.pdf
There again this applies to a vehicle being imported, Section 3.1 on page 13.

For a US market made vehicle, this seems to apply for US made vehicles. >>
Section 1.1.3.1 page 2 .

There again, be mindful that this booklet is about IMPORTING vehicles and engines.
Old July 18th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
I love so many peoples logic on this matter.

If somebody intentionally deceives the government during importation somehow that means according to this logic that the deceiver gets away with it. So I guess if you would support intentionally deceiving the IRS on your taxes and if you get away with it it's their problem and they can't come after you for that money that you intentionally didn't pay. Or if drug smugglers get drugs through the border inside of kewpie dolls then that is cool because the government missed it. Or if a company lies to the government approves a contract that is completely full of bullshit charges that later on when the government finds out that work actually wasn't done, it's too bad because they approved it.
Really? I didn't make a claim about anybody, including the CBP's fault in this. I said let's reserve judgement until there are more facts. And you quoted my FACTs and threw in your own assessment of what I was implying.

There is not question that 1) land rovers were seized and 2) all those land rovers were inspected by CBP port and released to importers. Putting the facts together in a sentence get's you my statement that you quoted.

Old July 18th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Daniel1
Daniel
97 NAS D90 Arles / 84 D110

I heard of one that was seized on Nantucket today too...
Old July 18th, 2014, 01:21 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Really? I didn't make a claim about anybody, including the CBP's fault in this. I said let's reserve judgement until there are more facts. And you quoted my FACTs and threw in your own assessment of what I was implying.

There is not question that 1) land rovers were seized and 2) all those land rovers were inspected by CBP port and released to importers. Putting the facts together in a sentence get's you my statement that you quoted.
Maybe you should de-emphasize the "THEY" when you give your facts. Emphasizing that implies THEY are at fault for SOMEBODY ELSE breaking the law. I guess drunk driving is ok also if you don't get caught.
Old July 18th, 2014, 01:23 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel1 View Post
I heard of one that was seized on Nantucket today too...
There once was a truck in Nantucket
The original engine was suckage
It went for a change
The VIN came up strange
Importer guy just said "fuck it!"
Old July 18th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Quote:
Maybe you should de-emphasize the "THEY" when you give your facts. Emphasizing that implies THEY are at fault for SOMEBODY ELSE breaking the law. I guess drunk driving is ok also if you don't get caught.
And your focus on my use of "THEY" implies that you support the legitimacy of what the CBP did in conducting broadbased seizures and thus implying that the vendor(s) at the focus of the investigation are already guilty before the investigation is complete.

maybe so, or maybe not. 60 rovers out of 180 means other vendors are involved. No other facts released. CBP could be justified, or maybe this case comes up with nothing.

point is, none of us know yet, so let's chill on the accusations and pre-judging. There will be plenty of that to come when legal judgements come back. We'll probably get real facts to opine with from Will soon enough.

Old July 18th, 2014, 01:31 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
And your focus on my use of "THEY" implies that you support the legitimacy of what the CBP did.
You're the one who used capitalized letters which implies that you wanted to draw focus on it. Nice try.
Old July 18th, 2014, 01:35 PM
KevinG
Kevin Le Messurier-Girlin
1986 Land Rover 110 CSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by couga861900 View Post
Mine came with a 300tdi. As the 200tdi engines gave up they were replaced by the British Army with 300tdi engines and this was on the paperwork from the UK which I had to present to MTO in Canada for licensing. They had no problem although I did have to swear an affidavit and produce documents from the ministry of defence in the UK. My mistake was not to have it registered in the UK before exporting it to Canada. If I did it again I would go to a military disposal unit in the UK, buy a vehicle and then get it registered as a civilian vehicle before exporting it to Canada. MTO advised me this would have made life much simpler at this end.

2003 Discovery II
1986 110 SW
Former International Correspondent
Land Rover World
Old July 18th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Quote:
You're the one who used capitalized letters which implies that you wanted to draw focus on it. Nice try.
ok, no more all caps for me in this thread. I don't care enough to make a stink of it. I'll wait on Will.

Old July 18th, 2014, 01:56 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

I'd say we can really narrow this down to one entity at this point, even the great "obi wan" said none of his customers have been affected by this action. WE (watch out I used CAPS) knew that it was a matter of time that any vehicle that the accused entity was involved with had a great big red bullseye on it….Both those sold thru the dealership or imported by him.

Every single one of us know the risks involved with bending or blatantly breaking the rules and this is a example of such actions, so stop acting so naive and making it seem that this a great big surprise. (this not directed at any one, just a general comment)

I hope Will get's this sorted out (for those unsuspecting soles and the one's with legit trucks) and if I ever meet him, will buy him copious amounts of whatever libation he desires...
Old July 18th, 2014, 02:00 PM
rosbif
Alan Langridge
1991 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
It went for a change
The VIN came up strange
Importer guy just said "fuck it!"

Who's motor leaked like a bucket
The owner said Crock
My Def needs a block
Now it's locked up in Pawtucket
Old July 18th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
yes but again, rovers weren't the only focus. I want to hear about the larger investigation.

Old July 18th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
For all your reading pleasure.....

Edit: Copy redacted to remove Attachment B per request.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Defendersourcecopy.pdf (551.8 KB, 886 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old July 18th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
It went for a change
The VIN came up strange