Homeland Security took my 110 - Page 33 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 18th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Welcome...don't listen to Wolf he just wants all the parts to himself..Plenty of threads on your topic, lots of reading to do.

------ Follow up post added July 18th, 2014 07:54 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Are you guys going to punch each other in the ovaries?
Yeah...PM Sent......no really...lol. But have some coffee first...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxy View Post
Howdy all

New guy here who has bee causally looking for an 80s LR for a few years, having previously owned some FJ62s.

I've been watching the auctions by the UK based sellers on eBay, but have been reluctant to get involved in that for a number of reasons, now especially with the seizures. Plus I've sold some cars to overseas guys, and after seeing what a buyer had to do to take a late model car from the US to Canada, I just decided not to get involved in importation.

So what would you guys suggest to be some safe guidelines for buying an LR from a basic legal ownership standpoint?

Thanks,

SR
Contact UncleDouglas on the board here. He imported mine as well as countless others here. He does an outstanding job. http://dividingcreekimports.com/index.html
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:13 AM
mud ruts
Chris Ray
97 Disco

Quote:
Howdy all New guy here who has bee causally looking for an 80s LR for a few years, having previously owned some FJ62s. I've been watching the auctions by the UK based sellers on eBay, but have been reluctant to get involved in that for a number of reasons, now especially with the seizures. Plus I've sold some cars to overseas guys, and after seeing what a buyer had to do to take a late model car from the US to Canada, I just decided not to get involved in importation. So what would you guys suggest to be some safe guidelines for buying an LR from a basic legal ownership standpoint? Thanks, SR

Really? Now? You may want to give it a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2014, 08:14 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

x2 on UncleDouglas, he does it well and does it right.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:26 AM
KevinG
Kevin Le Messurier-Girlin
1986 Land Rover 110 CSW

We can hardly say we were not expecting this. In the Land Rover community we all knew it was going on, late model Defenders being disguised as early models to meet the 25 year rule for the US (15 year in Canada). The only safe way is to get a vehicle that genuinely meets the requirements, whatever state its in, and import it for renovation. I did and with a lot of help from Rovers North I now have a stunning 1986 110 300tdi with a number of upgrades such as disc brakes all round, 5 speed gear box and a lot of satisfaction. It can be done. As an aside my $1500 investment in an ex military LHD 110 now has an appraised value of $63,000!

2003 Discovery II
1986 110 SW
Former International Correspondent
Land Rover World
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:41 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
It will be interesting to see if O'Canada follows the leader.
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Howdy all

New guy here who has bee causally looking for an 80s LR for a few years, having previously owned some FJ62s.

I've been watching the auctions by the UK based sellers on eBay, but have been reluctant to get involved in that for a number of reasons, now especially with the seizures. Plus I've sold some cars to overseas guys, and after seeing what a buyer had to do to take a late model car from the US to Canada, I just decided not to get involved in importation.

So what would you guys suggest to be some safe guidelines for buying an LR from a basic legal ownership standpoint?

Thanks,

SR
Hmm....Uberxy is located in Virginia. Lots of Federal Government employees located in Va.
I would advise caution.
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:46 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
As an aside my $1500 investment in an ex military LHD 110 now has an appraised value of $63,000!
I translate this to mean $1,500 + $$$$$ from Rovers North = $63,000?
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:49 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Buy a Jeep.
And they are bringing the diesel next year.

Old July 18th, 2014, 08:59 AM
KevinG
1986 Land Rover 110 CSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post
I translate this to mean $1,500 + $$$$$ from Rovers North = $63,000?
My original investment in the 110 was C$1500 (GBP750). I had work done in the UK on the engine, gearbox and axles and had some new seats thrown in. I then paid to have it shipped from the UK to Toronto where we gutted the vehicle and did a ground up restoration. I am not that good as a mechanic so I used a bodyshop to do the work. Working with them we replaced a huge number of parts with genuine LR parts from Rovers North who also provided hours of technical support. Once finished it had to be appraised for insurance purposes. They take into account everything and the price they put on doing it all over again is C$63,000. I know I am never going to sell it for that but if it ever gets stolen the payout is an agreed value C$63,000 by the insurance company. Dreams are not cheap!

2003 Discovery II
1986 110 SW
Land Rover World
Old July 18th, 2014, 09:03 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Quote:
Dreams are not cheap!
Word.
Old July 18th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
It will be interesting to see if O'Canada follows the leader.
Maybe... maybe not, as it's 15yrs here so youngest truck would be a 1999, that'll get you a TD5. Being 10yrs newer I think there is less chance of significant changes being made to the vehicle, prob just cosmetic ones.

I'd certainly like this parked on my drive http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-LAND-...item2a3f992e8d
Old July 18th, 2014, 09:09 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
My original investment in the 110 was C$1500 (GBP750). Dreams are not cheap!
Neither are parts or restoration efforts.
Old July 18th, 2014, 09:20 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
Maybe... maybe not, as it's 15yrs here so youngest truck would be a 1999, that'll get you a TD5. Being 10yrs newer I think there is less chance of significant changes being made to the vehicle, prob just cosmetic ones.

I'd certainly like this parked on my drive http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-LAND-...item2a3f992e8d
That's a nice truck from Foley's...definitely would be a good one to pull the trigger on (if you live in Canada).

Also, agreed on the above - Canada seems to be infinitely more "reasonable" when it comes to the import laws, and highly doubt they'd be out to harass their own citizens that were victims in all of this.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 18th, 2014, 09:32 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
........The only safe way is to get a vehicle that genuinely meets the requirements, whatever state its in, and import it for renovation. I did and with a lot of help from Rovers North I now have a stunning 1986 110 300tdi with a number of upgrades such as disc brakes all round, 5 speed gear box and a lot of satisfaction. It can be done. As an aside my $1500 investment in an ex military LHD 110 now has an appraised value of $63,000!
We are very glad that you have a "stunning" 110 Kevin, worth $63,000! These poor souls thought they were buying a legitimate truck. I am sure they had dreams like you, to build their dream truck. Maybe you didn't mean it but your post is in poor taste, considering what is going on here to these guys.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old July 18th, 2014, 09:44 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
The earliest federal safety standard I can think of is seat belts in '67. That is 47 years ago.
I think there was a regulation prior to that requiring safety glass

And an even earlier one requiring two brake lights.

An interesting thing about the seat belt regulation. As I recall if a vehicle was not fitted with seat belts from the factory you did not have to install belts. But if you did install seat belts on older vehicles you had to wear them.

So unless they changed the regulation you can not get a seat belt ticket if you drive a pre-regulation vehicle that does not have seat belts. But you could get a free ride to the morgue after an accident.

Old July 18th, 2014, 10:14 AM
KevinG
1986 Land Rover 110 CSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
We are very glad that you have a "stunning" 110 Kevin, worth $63,000! These poor souls thought they were buying a legitimate truck. I am sure they had dreams like you, to build their dream truck. Maybe you didn't mean it but your post is in poor taste, considering what is going on here to these guys.
I don't mean to cause offence and if I did I apologize and I am sure there are some unsuspecting souls out there, who I do feel very sorry for, that have been misled into believing these vehicles were genuine and permitted in the US. The sellers should be charged with fraud.

Equally however there are a lot of buyers out there who knew exactly what they were doing and tried to dodge the laws by importing a vehicle known to be illegal. This was an accident waiting to happen and yet enthusiasts, who read LR magazines, this forum and other forums and know the score, went ahead regardless, made an informed decision and have now paid the ultimate price.

2003 Discovery II
1986 110 SW
Land Rover World
Old July 18th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Landerley
Larry
1969 Land Rover IIA Dormobile

Registry
Be careful about this. According to the EPA if you change the engine from anything other than what it was imported with you lose the emissions exemption and can get fined (and possibly seized?). http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/documents/420b11015.pdf
Old July 18th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Quote:
The sellers should be charged with fraud.
Let's be clear in this court of opinion. The CBP has the burden to prove the seller committed fraud to this date. The seizures are based on allegation that have yet to lead to a conviction. This could end up being dozens of seizures because of one or maybe even no violations.

The jury is still out, and so should our opinion. The only verifiable facts in this case are that the CBP is seizing vehicles that THEY approved to enter legally.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 18th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

While you talk of conviction, the seizure paperwork is referenced not as a criminal case but as a Civil case.
Therefore on that pending matter no conviction is possible.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu