Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 17th, 2014, 12:09 PM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosbif View Post
I don't understand. The 25 year deal DOES allow you to drive a diesel with the top off - that's just the point. Don't you think that the people who gave you this exception, can just as easily take it away?
Just in the last few years you could start importing the older diesel motors but the turbos aren't quite legal yet. Why are they any different?

I find the entire premise abhorrent to liberty. I can ride a motorcycle capable of traveling over 200 mph without a helmet but a defender at 75 is too unsafe for me? I will sign a waiver, leave me alone. A little 4cylnder diesel that gets 25 mpg is going to be too much for the environment to handle but a cj with a straight pipe 460 is fine because of where it was built?

I know I am just a head in the clouds type but I don't feel that it is the governments right to take anything from me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2014, 12:46 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
It's been almost an hour since someone has responded in this thread, fyi.
and much longer since anything of interest was posted ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 17th, 2014, 12:50 PM
fireball
Ben
Shopping!

Did we ever hear back from the guy who posted about 2 other 110s allegedly being taken that had no relation to the NC Aaron shop guy???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2014, 01:00 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
'71 IIA 88 LS1 coiler, '84 110, +++

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball View Post
Did we ever hear back from the guy who posted about 2 other 110s allegedly being taken that had no relation to the NC Aaron shop guy???
I highly suspect he was a troll trying to stir the pot.
Old July 17th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockShow View Post
Just in the last few years you could start importing the older diesel motors but the turbos aren't quite legal yet. Why are they any different?

I find the entire premise abhorrent to liberty. I can ride a motorcycle capable of traveling over 200 mph without a helmet but a defender at 75 is too unsafe for me? I will sign a waiver, leave me alone. A little 4cylnder diesel that gets 25 mpg is going to be too much for the environment to handle but a cj with a straight pipe 460 is fine because of where it was built?

I know I am just a head in the clouds type but I don't feel that it is the governments right to take anything from me.

Seems very counter productive (and environmentally unfriendly) to allow a V8 in a D90 that only gets 12-14 mpg and then not allow a 200 or 300 Tdi that would get 23-28 mpg. Somehow conservation of fuel and carbon footprint seems to take a back seat to what in this situation? If you're burning less fuel (and NOT rollin' coal) and emitting less products of internal combustion, somehow that's not a good thing ??

I suppose the GM diesels of the late 1970's and bus exhaust will forever taint the thinking of burning diesel of beneficial, that is until all who remember this picture are long dead.
Old July 17th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Good afternoon,

A great number of people have contacted me regarding their desire to give donations for this cause, and I have not, as yet, accepted any because of the tax implications and liability on my part.

I am working on a solution for this however, and I will be sure to post those details once it is in place. Please bear with me during the next few days as I get this particular detail sorted out.

In the mean time, I am continuing to pursue this cause with zeal. Please know that I genuinely appreciate everyone's support and patience. Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old July 17th, 2014, 02:13 PM
rosbif
Alan Langridge
1991 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockShow View Post

The 200tdi isn't legal to import yet, but I understand that Doug will fit one legally once the truck's in the US.

The TD has been available for a couple of years.

We had a customer who fitted an intercooler to a TD and it performed quite well. Not very strong though!!!
Old July 17th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
200TDi is legal to import - if it is older than 21yrs
Old July 17th, 2014, 02:21 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

200tdi came out in 1989, but not fitted to defenders until 1990 so we have to wait until next year to import defenders with a 200tdi and really there were not many made in 1990 so really 2016 when the large number of 1991 200tdi defenders are importable. Me, I am on the look out for a 1HZ powered LHD land cruiser troopy when they become importable.
Old July 17th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Me, I am on the look out for a 1HZ powered LHD land cruiser troopy when they become importable.
Good luck. There's gonna be a stampede on those. Will make ROW Defender importations look like a trickle. CBP "Beat Down II" coming to a theater near you.

Yota Swindler: I got this sweet 85' 70 series troopy for you. It has a 1HZ, power locks and it's like new! Comin' straight in from OZ mate! $30k and it's yours!
Yota Enthusiast: Awesome dude! Is it legal and all that? I dont' want a rust bucket.
Yota Swindler: Hell yeah, I imported 10 of them last month. They all sold in 48 hours so grab it now.
Yota Enthusiast: Dude, gimme some of that. It's my dream ride.
Yota Enthusiast's DMV: Whatever, pay the fine. Here's you're license plate. Get outta my face.
Yota Enthusiast: Honey, look what I bought! Let's go to the beach!
CBP: bang, bang, bang. Wake up fuck face! We're taking your sweet ass ride! Look at that shit. It's sparking as it's getting winched on the flatbed. Hahahah! you should see your face convict!
Yota Enthusiast: sayyy, whattt? This is bullshit!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 17th, 2014, 02:37 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post

Good luck. There's gonna be a stampede on those. Will make ROW Defender importations look like a trickle. CBP "Beat Down II" coming to a theater near you.

Yota Swindler: I got this sweet 85' 70 series troopy for you. It has a 1HZ, power locks and it's like new! Comin' straight in from OZ mate! $30k and it's yours!
Yota Enthusiast: Awesome dude! Is it legal and all that? I dont' want a rust bucket.
Yota Swindler: Hell yeah, I imported 10 of them last month. They all sold in 48 hours so grab it now.
Yota Enthusiast: Dude, gimme some of that. It's my dream ride.
Yota Enthusiast's DMV: Whatever, pay the fine. Here's you're license plate. Get outta my face.
Yota Enthusiast: Honey, look what I bought! Let's go to the beach!
CBP: bang, bang, bang. Wake up fuck face! We're taking your sweet ass ride! Look at that shit. It's sparking as it's getting winched on the flatbed. Hahahah! you should see your face convict!
Yota Enthusiast: sayyy, whattt? This is bullshit!

Old July 17th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Yeah...NAS is where it's at...
Old July 17th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Maximal
Max
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Yeah...NAS is where it's at...
Those of without trust funds, or lucrative jobs don't have that option. Some of us had to work hard to afford a 25+ year old leaky truck.
Old July 17th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Yes I'd be one of the "work for what I have" crowd...and a 17 yo LR NAS or otherwise leaks just as much...
Old July 17th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Maximal
Max
none

Good thing you reminded these guys who just had their trucks taken that yours isn't going anywhere. What point are you trying to make here?. Jesus.
Old July 17th, 2014, 04:05 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Let's not start this again; 43 pages in 60 hours has got to be some sort of record for d90
Old July 17th, 2014, 04:07 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDrum View Post
Technically not a rule or a loophole. Its an exception to current safety standards. DOT import declaration requires the importer to check-off which safety compliance law the vehicle is being imported within. Section 1 (591.5i) relieves vehicles >25 years old from having to comply with current safety requirements.

This section was drafted because there were no federal safety standards 25 years earlier. Thus it would be a hardship to for anyone forward update safety requirements on a vehicle. The same logic as not requiring OBDII on 70s and 80s vehicles. That said, I could foresee the law being amended from 25 years to a specific year, whatever year federal safety standard took hold.
The earliest federal safety standard I can think of is seat belts in '67. That is 47 years ago.
Old July 17th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximal View Post
Good thing you reminded these guys who just had their trucks taken that yours isn't going anywhere. What point are you trying to make here?. Jesus.
yeah...PM sent...
Old July 17th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
Let's not start this again; 43 pages in 60 hours has got to be some sort of record for d90
Gonna have to beef-up our hard drive storage space
Old July 17th, 2014, 04:20 PM
davidr
David R
1997 D90 (Sold July 2014)

Registry
I found more details online:
http://jalopnik.com/the-feds-just-se...u-s-1605985758

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu