Homeland Security took my 110 - Page 30 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 17th, 2014, 09:45 AM
mud ruts
Chris Ray
97 Disco

If I had an imported defender that has come over in the last 10 years I would be building my paper work right now. If it has a 200tdi in it or newer I would be getting that out and putting in something else, with receipts to prove it being done.
Ask yourself who Dr A worked with before he was on his own. I think more trucks are at risk then just the first wave. This feels like Armageddon for the defender community.

My .02

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2014, 09:47 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Wow, this is just surreal.

I don't know if I missed it, but has there been a fund set up for Will yet? I'm in for donating.
Old July 17th, 2014, 09:49 AM
PTSchram
P. T. Schram
Down to only six!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jputnins View Post
Look closely at this truck and the VIN: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-D...Trucks&afsrc=1

The VIN is 94923553C. This as a Series Land Rover VIN.

According to 30 seconds of research, that makes it a 1972-1979 Land Rover Series III 109 LHD Station Wagon with a 6-cylinder gas engine. This is representative of a "restoration" of an older Land Rover with newer parts. Whether it is a blatant VIN swap or a restoration is subject to debate.

However, this is another can of worms...

Discuss
There is a BRAND NEW SIII in Fort Wayne Indiana that was built from NOS parts.
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2014, 09:50 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jputnins View Post
Look closely at this truck and the VIN: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-D...Trucks&afsrc=1

The VIN is 94923553C. This as a Series Land Rover VIN.

According to 30 seconds of research, that makes it a 1972-1979 Land Rover Series III 109 LHD Station Wagon with a 6-cylinder gas engine. This is representative of a "restoration" of an older Land Rover with newer parts. Whether it is a blatant VIN swap or a restoration is subject to debate.

However, this is another can of worms...

Discuss
I am surprised that truck is still up for sale, given its a td5 and is clearly a vin swap. Guess CBP isn't big on checking ebay...
Old July 17th, 2014, 09:53 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud ruts View Post
Ask yourself who Dr A worked with before he was on his own. I think more trucks are at risk then just the first wave.
Who was he working with prior?
Old July 17th, 2014, 09:59 AM
jputnins
John Putnins
1995 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSchram View Post
There is a BRAND NEW SIII in Fort Wayne Indiana that was built from NOS parts.
I'll take it! I'll bet a box of doughnuts to the nearest CBP official that one does have a state issued assembled vehicle VIN.
Disco 1 "Truck-in-a-box"
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:03 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Screw this...I'm sticking with leaf springs...or those bastions of safety...home built hot rods.
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:10 AM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

I think we can all agree the 25 year rule is a farce perpetrated by the government, big corporations, and people who drive jeeps, to deny people such as ourselves the pleasure of driving a diesel with the top off.

The law is silly and arbitrary if one only considers that a domestic car built 5 years ago won't pass current EPA and safety standards.

And as for everyone spouting off about "the DHS officers are only doing their jobs" and we need to "tone down the rhetoric" consider this for just a moment. Just because you are following orders or it's the law doesn't mean it's right. It doesn't entitle you to be an asshole about it with your mustaches and mirrored sunglasses. And it doesn't mean you aren't going on someone's list of people's lives to ruin someday.

There millions of instances of jobs that should not have been done. I'll leave the mindless order following and adherence to the rules to cult members and fascists, thank you very much!
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:14 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
[QUOTE="RockShow;546698"]with your mustaches and mirrored sunglasses. /QUOTE] Shit, can I rock this look with a beard?
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
[QUOTE=Jtomchik;546700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockShow View Post
with your mustaches and mirrored sunglasses. /QUOTE] Shit, can I rock this look with a beard?
No. beard and mirrored sunglasses makes you look like a cartel coyote. Opposite effect. You would have to throw in a hawaiin shirt to try and get it anywhere close to "cool".

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:22 AM
cosmic88
Cosmo
87 RRC, 94 RRC, 95 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowdungbeetle View Post
"Obi wan 130" has a nice ring to it.
or... Obd one thirty... Obi 130

Dumble Doug? nah....

Fed. DOT and EPA rules trump the conveniently lax titling requirement in FL. That TD5 Kit is Kool but not Kosher.
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:41 AM
rosbif
Alan Langridge
1991 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDrum View Post
Technically not a rule or a loophole. Its an exception to current safety standards. DOT import declaration requires the importer to check-off which safety compliance law the vehicle is being imported within. Section 1 (591.5i) relieves vehicles >25 years old from having to comply with current safety requirements.

This section was drafted because there were no federal safety standards 25 years earlier. Thus it would be a hardship to for anyone forward update safety requirements on a vehicle. The same logic as not requiring OBDII on 70s and 80s vehicles. That said, I could foresee the law being amended from 25 years to a specific year, whatever year federal safety standard took hold.

I have a feeling that what you say makes sense. I wonder how long can this 25 year exception go on for? On this basis, in 2024, a TD5 Defender will become legal....... A cut off date would make sense but the longer this exception lasts, the later the Defs will be allowed entry. The first 200tdi Defs will be allowed in at the end of 2015, it would be great if this model truck was permitted entry under the current scheme. This is why it's important not to rock the boat now. I don't think that anyone wanting to promote protests over this NC issue is helping the cause.
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:47 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Nevermind

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old July 17th, 2014, 11:03 AM
rosbif
Alan Langridge
1991 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockShow View Post
I think we can all agree the 25 year rule is a farce perpetrated by the government, big corporations, and people who drive jeeps, to deny people such as ourselves the pleasure of driving a diesel with the top off.

The law is silly and arbitrary if one only considers that a domestic car built 5 years ago won't pass current EPA and safety standards.

And as for everyone spouting off about "the DHS officers are only doing their jobs" and we need to "tone down the rhetoric" consider this for just a moment. Just because you are following orders or it's the law doesn't mean it's right. It doesn't entitle you to be an asshole about it with your mustaches and mirrored sunglasses. And it doesn't mean you aren't going on someone's list of people's lives to ruin someday.

There millions of instances of jobs that should not have been done. I'll leave the mindless order following and adherence to the rules to cult members and fascists, thank you very much!
I don't understand. The 25 year deal DOES allow you to drive a diesel with the top off - that's just the point.

Don't you think that the people who gave you this exception, can just as easily take it away?
Old July 17th, 2014, 11:04 AM
mud ruts
Chris Ray
97 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Who was he working with prior?
I'm not throwing any names out incase they are not on the radar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 17th, 2014, 11:05 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
[QUOTE=Overlander;546702]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post

No. beard and mirrored sunglasses makes you look like a cartel coyote. Opposite effect. You would have to throw in a hawaiin shirt to try and get it anywhere close to "cool".

Cartel Coyote, I like that, fits with the CBP thread we have here

Guess I'll just stick with olive drab t-shirts and official looking cargo pants with sensible footwear hahaha

------ Follow up post added July 17th, 2014 10:06 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud ruts View Post
I'm not throwing any names out in case they are not on the radar.
I think that was my earlier critique of putting any names of anything on this thread, its just all very hearsay until there is some official action taken against any domestic (or foreign) entity
Old July 17th, 2014, 11:07 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosbif View Post
I don't understand. The 25 year deal DOES allow you to drive a diesel with the top off - that's just the point.

Don't you think that the people who gave you this exception, can just as easily take it away?
Our liar in chief was bought by the UAW and other assorted unions when he started his first run for dictator. Not a chance in hell that he would sign anything to get rid of the 25 year exemption law. That would "kill" union jobs.
Old July 17th, 2014, 12:03 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
It's been almost an hour since someone has responded in this thread, fyi.
Old July 17th, 2014, 12:07 PM
jputnins
John Putnins
1995 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post

O crap! Everyone, keep posting! Don't let the thread die off!
Disco 1 "Truck-in-a-box"
Old July 17th, 2014, 12:08 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
The Malaysian plane shot down in Ukraine is the new talk of the town

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu