Old July 17th, 2014, 08:31 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Guys, if at all possible could you please limit quoting to a small relevant section instead of large posts? Or don't quote at all if no context is needed. This thread is long and is only going to get longer!

Also if someone new joins in and is clearly trying to help, but hasn't spent any time on the forum to see that what they are telling us is well known, simply ignore them. There is no need to respond, let alone rudely.

And to keep it on topic, thanks again to Will for stepping up. Please share as much general info as you can with the rest of us that doesn't require you to keep confidential.
Yeah!
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2014, 08:49 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Yeah!
Haha!
Old July 17th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
interesting that this "1978" is still for sale...and not hiding under a haystack somewhere...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-D...US_Cars_Trucks
You do realize that's built from imported parts and titled as a kit car as opposed to an imported vehicle right ? Totally different set of laws. The only bit there thats an import no/no is the engine. One would hope they have bigger fish to fry than running down a single engine.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2014, 09:34 AM
PTSchram
P. T. Schram
Down to only six!

Doug illustrated some good points that I'd like to expound upon.

As I said, I don't do trucks any longer due to the hassle.

My first 109 was first tagged in UK as an abandoned vehicle because the export broker dropped the ball.

Then, it was targeted as being a truck bomb and was nearly destroyed on a street corner near Manchester.

As a result of these two incidents, it was tainted and I was forced to undergo every inspection you could imagine. It ended up taking almost six months to get into the US and I had an agent who drove it everyday until we could move it here.

W/R/T inspections, I had a shipment of brand new 4.6 petrol engines seized and was charged $100/day for them to sit in a bonded warehouse until I certified they were fundamentally similar to NAS engines-which they were. EVERY single crate was opened looking to diesels!

Since then, I've had stupid simple things seized like bearings, key fob bits, you name it-until I certified it was NAS or equivalent. Worse yet, I have things I have imported twice a week for five years and all of a sudden, I'll get a notice they've been seized-WTF?

I think to some extent, some stuff is over inspected and then I think about the illegals and wonder why it is ALWAYS the law abiding person who declares themself an importer and pays a bond who gets hit, but those who play fast and loose seem to skate by.
Old July 17th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
You do realize that's built from imported parts and titled as a kit car
Nope - didn't say kit car in title - just "clear" and "in-hand" without details though I am aware I am guessing on it's build...
Old July 17th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
You do realize that's built from imported parts and titled as a kit car as opposed to an imported vehicle right ? Totally different set of laws. The only bit there thats an import no/no is the engine. One would hope they have bigger fish to fry than running down a single engine.
Face it; we all suck. Uncle Doug is the only one that should be speaking here. He is the sole authority. CBP should be asking him to inspect the vehicles. I propose that we replace the nickname "Uncle Doug" with a new one. I'm thinking one of these. Which one is most fitting?

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 17th, 2014, 09:48 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Hmm I don't think Doug quite fits the "old queer" picture that you paint.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 17th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Hmm I don't think Doug quite fits the "old queer" picture that you paint.
I'll throw in Doogie for you. Next question?

Old July 17th, 2014, 09:57 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Doug, please explain how "building" and titling a 110 as a "kit car" isn't one of the bigger loopholes allowed only in a few DMV lenient states. This practice is yet another way people capitalize on the uninformed. I don't apply this standard to Factory 5, SuperPerformance, etc.
Old July 17th, 2014, 09:58 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Nope - didn't say kit car in title - just "clear" and "in-hand" without details though I am aware I am guessing on it's build...
True... That probably won't help his For Sale...

If it were a State appointed VIN it will have the State 2 letters and a serial number. ie 123456NJ

I had a RRC with a State Assigned VIN and had to do my homework back in 2009. (BTW VA DMV didn't give a rats ass about it)

Old July 17th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Doug, please explain how "building" and titling a 110 as a "kit car" isn't one of the bigger loopholes allowed only in a few DMV lenient states. This practice is yet another way people capitalize on the uninformed. I don't apply this standard to Factory 5, SuperPerformance, etc.
Never said it wasn't. Just pointing out the only customs crime was the engine. Craig- state issued VIN is the key.

------ Follow up post added July 17th, 2014 10:05 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSchram View Post
W/R/T inspections, I had a shipment of brand new 4.6 petrol engines seized and was charged $100/day for them to sit in a bonded warehouse until I certified they were fundamentally similar to NAS engines-which they were. EVERY single crate was opened looking to diesels!

Since then, I've had stupid simple things seized like bearings, key fob bits, you name it-until I certified it was NAS or equivalent. Worse yet, I have things I have imported twice a week for five years and all of a sudden, I'll get a notice they've been seized-WTF?
PT,
Huge difference between a detained shipment and a seized shipment. Seized means you no longer even own the freight and need to retain counsel to fight to regain ownership.

Detained/Detention Notice means we are fucking with you for a while and that time is supposed to be 30days or less but in practice we will take as long as we want and get back to you.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 17th, 2014, 10:07 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Russell,

Check these guys out. http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/Content.aspx?f=usaintro

They explain on how to do the Kit Car thing.

The motor and transmission are the only things they won't give you.

Old July 17th, 2014, 10:21 AM
REDrum
Niall Johnson
1970 Series IIA 88 - Sandstone

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosbif View Post
when the 25 year loophole was exploited to the extreme.....through the 25 year rule.
Technically not a rule or a loophole. Its an exception to current safety standards. DOT import declaration requires the importer to check-off which safety compliance law the vehicle is being imported within. Section 1 (591.5i) relieves vehicles >25 years old from having to comply with current safety requirements.

This section was drafted because there were no federal safety standards 25 years earlier. Thus it would be a hardship to for anyone forward update safety requirements on a vehicle. The same logic as not requiring OBDII on 70s and 80s vehicles. That said, I could foresee the law being amended from 25 years to a specific year, whatever year federal safety standard took hold.

'99 UZJ 100 - for glamping and grocery getting
'94 FZJ80 - our Costa Rican coffee mule
'96 FZJ80 - 3XL, racked, shaved and dipped in Raptor coat
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - a Costa Rican expat now with US citizenship!
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - for Central America surf & coffee exploration
'56 Petrol S1 86 - a whole new kind of land rover hell...
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:29 AM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Face it; we all suck. Uncle Doug is the only one that should be speaking here. He is the sole authority. CBP should be asking him to inspect the vehicles. I propose that we replace the nickname "Uncle Doug" with a new one. I'm thinking one of these. Which one is most fitting?

"Obi wan 130" has a nice ring to it.
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I don't care what argument the CBP makes. They can never convince me that what they are doing in cahoots with DOT and EPA on this.

Model T ford - 20hp, manual brakes, manual steering, Epic crash worthy fail for today's standards, high risk of eating a bug while driving, driver's face is the crumple zone, can't get out of it's own way. Verdict: Safe for road use today

PUMA Defender
Euro Emissions, US compliant engine, ABS brakes. Verdict: unsafe to self and other. death trap.

Sometimes I think we are our own worst enemy.

Old July 17th, 2014, 10:31 AM
dolomiti
Scott
1987 One Ten

yes, the 25 year rule is obviously not about safety but about $$$. nobody is happy when my 745i cost less to gray market than a 735i or my M535i than a 535is.
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Sometimes I think we are our own worst enemy.
If you really want to go on the other end of the spectrum....

The vehicle on the left is considered safe, whereas the vehicle on the right is not.

Old July 17th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Exactly. But the CBP public statements and arguments on the seizures is based on their pitch about protecting the public on safety reasons. BS

PS. I love that green with white top look. I may give the purists the finger one day and repaint my NAS in that

Old July 17th, 2014, 10:41 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
I think we all agree that there is a serious delta in safety for many catagories of vehicles on US roads. I would argue that if you compare the new Puma defender to a new Jeep wrangler in terms of airbags, roll cage and crouple zones blah blah blah, the jeep comes out on top.

Now that isn't to say if you compare a 25 year old wrangler to a 25 year old Defender you aren't in a similar class of vehicles. It does imply that Defenders without roll cages and airbags are definitely unsafe for US highway speeds.

On that note I will be picking up my 90 at the end of the month, driving it on the highway at highway speeds, with a big dumb grin on my face and my dog in the drivers seat... so no more 'guy with no d-90 on d-90.com' status for me
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:44 AM
jputnins
John Putnins
1995 Defender 90 SW

Look closely at this truck and the VIN: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-D...Trucks&afsrc=1

The VIN is 94923553C. This as a Series Land Rover VIN.

According to 30 seconds of research, that makes it a 1972-1979 Land Rover Series III 109 LHD Station Wagon with a 6-cylinder gas engine. This is representative of a "restoration" of an older Land Rover with newer parts. Whether it is a blatant VIN swap or a restoration is subject to debate.

However, this is another can of worms...

Discuss
Disco 1 "Truck-in-a-box"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu