Homeland Security took my 110 - Page 27 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 16th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Hitch
scott
86/ 110

Hypothetical question:
If an owner of a seized land Rover had full coverage insurance and that land Rove, and it got destroyed by the government some how, could the owner collect on the insurance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2014, 08:22 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
interesting that this "1978" is still for sale...and not hiding under a haystack somewhere... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-D...US_Cars_Trucks
With 'ABS' brakes no less.
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:29 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
OK Gentleman,

I hope I don't regret doing this, but, I've undertaken the task or representing a fellow member (and neighbor) who's 110 was seized yesterday. I am doing so pro bono (i.e., at no charge). I am willing to extend the same courtesy to the other members who have also been effected.
Outstanding! Thanks Will!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2014, 08:42 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
It case it wasn't obvious, there are Fed moles on this forum and currently commenting on this topic. Common tactic. Notice all the new commenters suddenly interested or posting rambling BS?

So I'd be careful about implicating yourself, your truck, someone else, or commenting on "hiding" trucks.
Ive been watching you for years
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cv4n View Post
Great. I live in Germany, am the second owner of a 1987 110 V8 purchased in Switzerland, all OEM parts minus a Fairey PTO winch. I planned to take it back to the U.S. when our assignment ends here in a couple years. Was going to replace the ribbed roof with a flat one and give it a paint job this month. Now I'm wondering if I should leave it looking as original and old...
Paint is fine , new roof is not

------ Follow up post added July 16th, 2014 10:00 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Hypothetical question:
If an owner of a seized land Rover had full coverage insurance and that land Rove, and it got destroyed by the government some how, could the owner collect on the insurance?
In theory, read your policy. Don't stop paying your premium. It may take a year or more.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 16th, 2014, 09:00 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyboyUpstate View Post
Danny you are my freaking hero for having this quoted by the Associated Press.

"When you look at the thing, it's a hunk of junk," he said.
Old July 16th, 2014, 09:05 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Homeland Security took my 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Danny you are my freaking hero for having this quoted by the Associated Press.

"When you look at the thing, it's a hunk of junk," he said.

LOL I love the quote.

In all seriousness, if you show my truck to someone and then tell them what I paid for it (which is low compared to an ACTUALLY nice ROW truck) they would be SICK! My VW/Audi friends all think I'm crazy and THEY'RE CAR ENTHUSIASTS! It's so obvious it's an old truck.

I want my hunk of junk back.
Old July 16th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Hypothetical question:

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old July 16th, 2014, 09:21 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyboyUpstate View Post
LOL I love the quote.

In all seriousness, if you show my truck to someone and then tell them what I paid for it (which is low compared to an ACTUALLY nice ROW truck) they would be SICK! My VW/Audi friends all think I'm crazy and THEY'RE CAR ENTHUSIASTS! It's so obvious it's an old truck.

I want my hunk of junk back.
My understanding is they wouldn't print "piece of shit" .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 16th, 2014, 09:24 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1986 D110 V8

Registry
"The Land Rovers, which do not meet federal safety or emission standards, cannot be lawfully operated in the United States."

What a crock of BS. That statement is clearly meant to make up for the inaptitude of the CBP by allowing VIN tampered vehicles in, during the importation process. By definition, and under the current laws, any vehicle over 25 years old "does not meet federal safety or emissions standards" because it's exempt from meeting EPA and DOT requirements.

And you would think that the law should be changed IMO, to limit the entry of any vehicle that's 25 years old or older, and instead allow us to import newer vehicles, as they more and more are required to have more stringent smog controls and better safety equipment. Some countries with no EPA and DOT equivalents, allow the importation of vehicles no older than 7 years. Go figure.
Defenderless for now!
Old July 16th, 2014, 09:26 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
"I don't even have a piece of shit. I have to envy yours."

-Jeff
I asked for a car, and got a computer. How's that for being born under a bad sign.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 16th, 2014, 10:10 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I was reading my importation documents and my EPA paperwork says anything over 21 years is exempt... But it think the dot law side of it is 25 years.. Maybe Doug could clarify..?.im confused..
Old July 16th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I was reading my importation documents and my EPA paperwork says anything over 21 years is exempt... But it think the dot law side of it is 25 years.. Maybe Doug could clarify..?.im confused..
Thought you knew everything?

Different agencies have difference standards and time lines.
Old July 16th, 2014, 10:18 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

You said that.. Not me.).. Yes, but I was wondering if that creates a grey area for supposedly illegally brought in vehicles failing because of newer engines.. The 200 tdi is over 21 years old...therefore EPA exempt..

------ Follow up post added July 16th, 2014 11:21 PM ------

And I do know that... Thought you knew everything.?? is a statement... Not a question.. It should read... I thought you knew everything..!!... You're welcome.. And it's different standards..
Old July 16th, 2014, 10:22 PM
Scottyoh
Enigma RnR
'87 127"
D-90 Source Vendor

Any vehicle brought in illegally is subject to seizure at any time, even after enough time has passed for it to become legal. There is no statute of limitations on importation fraud.

Old July 16th, 2014, 10:27 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

Yes, but can they decline a vehicle for having a newer engine in it or having an engine swapped after it is here if that engine doesn't violate EPA laws.. It's not importation fraud.. I'm just asking that if the CBP say that a customer can't have his vehicle back because it has a 200tdi engine in it, can they actually use that as a reason.. Since it's not illegal by EPA who is the governing entity on the engine emissions side of it..
Old July 16th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Scottyoh
Enigma RnR
'87 127"
D-90 Source Vendor

Imported vehicles have to be original, as they were from the factory. Once here and registered, a newer engine can be fitted that is at least 21 years old to keep its emissions exempt status. The gov't manuals on these procedures are long winded but very informative and detailed. I mean if I'm wrong here, someone please correct me. This is just what I have read from CBP et al. publications.

Old July 16th, 2014, 11:26 PM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyoh View Post
Imported vehicles have to be original, as they were from the factory. Once here and registered, a newer engine can be fitted that is at least 21 years old to keep its emissions exempt status. The gov't manuals on these procedures are long winded but very informative and detailed. I mean if I'm wrong here, someone please correct me. This is just what I have read from CBP et al. publications.
Im think that's pretty accurate but its also gonna come down to the state level on what engines can and can't be in it, like in California.
Old July 17th, 2014, 12:57 AM
Bennyuk
Richard
1984 110

Hello boys benny here from the uk try joining a few uk Land rover owners forums and you can see the extent of the stolen uk land rover market over here . You boys are suffering from a problem that's been going on for quiet some time , naughty people buy a scrap or bad condition 90/110 , then steal a nice later model year defender swop the id from the early scrap truck onto the later nice truck and either sell it In the uk or export it to the USA where poor folk that can't identify a "wrang" vehicle too good pay good money out .... Certain uk police forces have task forces set up for stolen Land rovers and have been investigating the problem what you may find is information from a raid has led to paperwork about stolen cars Being shipped to the states and they have informed your police / FBI ...
Old July 17th, 2014, 01:01 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyuk View Post
Hello boys benny here from the uk try joining a few uk Land rover owners forums and you can see the extent of the stolen uk land rover market over here . You boys are suffering from a problem that's been going on for quiet some time , naughty people buy a scrap or bad condition 90/110 , then steal a nice later model year defender swop the id from the early scrap truck onto the later nice truck and either sell it In the uk or export it to the USA where poor folk that can't identify a "wrang" vehicle too good pay good money out .... Certain uk police forces have task forces set up for stolen Land rovers and have been investigating the problem what you may find is information from a raid has led to paperwork about stolen cars Being shipped to the states and they have informed your police / FBI ...
Please tell us more.
Why can't astronauts visit the sun at night?
Why is there no pudding filling in Yorkshire pudding?
Can any young man grow up and be a queen?
Do all of your countrymen think we are stupid or just the idiots?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu