Homeland Security took my 110 - Page 24 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 16th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Gas donkey has been Saved from the wolf aka Bill Cox.

Shocking he hadn't shown up here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Bill Cox was banned from this site along with being banned from many other Mini sites. He only showed up trolling the Rover world because he was running out of people and bridges to burn.
Old July 16th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas_Donkey View Post
I am new to all this US law so please don't all jump on top of me but here's my take on this as preached to me by a certain North Carolina seller with loads of letters and words as to the fact that he is US bonded TWIC blah blah.
He informed me that the whole idea of the US customs bonded is that it is like an insurance. If the car is later impounded for any reason, the insurance in the form of the bond that the seller has comes into play. Does this now not work for any of the affected people? Or is it not worth the paper it is written on like so many insurances?
Import bonds are a money grab by customs over and above import duty. They only do this on commercial entries, not personal/individual. Pretty sure Cox had zero idea what the bond was for I can only imagine what he's told you. No the bond is only for the entry transaction, not for these guys years later.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2014, 03:25 PM
v8engine
Steve
1987 110 Tithanous

Impounded trucks

I have read most of the comments now regarding the impounded Defenders,and sympathise with all innocent individuals that bought vehicles that have been confiscated,particularly if they have been deceived over the genuinity of the age.This is obviously a criminal investigation,and the guys who knowingly deceived anyone over any description of age and specification,should (and hopefully will) be prosecuted.It seems to me that that the only way forward is to now be extra vigilant and thorough both in USA and UK.And make everyone aware that it is best to have a Heritage certificate,which now takes 4-6 weeks to obtain and costs approx $70 (i know i am currently waiting for mine),this verifies DOB and chassis +engine numbers,a clear picture of the chassis number stamped on the right front chassis and an 'unmessed with' chassis plate,(most actually have 2 plates,one on brake m/cylinder mount under hood,and other is generally on seat box base,in cabin).And maybe don't touch a vehicle that has had an engine change,other than a like for like type,to the original unit fitted.I would be most concerned if an engine did not have a visible number,as this can always be used as a reference to fight any questions about engine age/type that may be raised by the Feds.
I guess there will be a bit of hestitation in importing a 25 yr old Landrover from UK.*Without wishing to seem to be profiteering from anyone's misery. I am currently based in UK,and can help anyone with independent inspections and verifications,(for a modest fee). I have over 30 yrs experience as a motor engineer and vehicle restorer so i feel i can easily spot a rebody or a chassis change etc.I can also store vehicles undercover and transport with collection and delivery to UK ports. Based in central UK.
Please email me initially with your contact details,if you want help.
Finally I would like to make one more comment.It is NOT easy to find cheap un rusted and un modified 25 yr old Landrovers in UK under $6000.( Most have been worked hard,often abused and regularly 'Bodged up' by cheapskate owners,and many have been upgraded with used high mileage modern 200/300 tdi engines,to make them more useable.)
Old July 16th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
OK Gentleman,

I hope I don't regret doing this, but, I've undertaken the task or representing a fellow member (and neighbor) who's 110 was seized yesterday. I am doing so pro bono (i.e., at no charge). I am willing to extend the same courtesy to the other members who have also been effected.

In full disclosure, I am not currently in private practice, but I am a licensed North Carolina attorney employed with the State of North Carolina and a member of the United States District Court of the Eastern District of North Carolina. I have today, been in contact with the Customs and Border Patrol Agent in charge of the seizures and with the US Attorney who is handling the case. Per those conversations, I have assured them both that I will not be sharing their contact information, so please do not ask.

I am willing to speak with you individually about your vehicles. If you would like to speak with me, I request that you email me your particulars first and then allow me to return your calls. Otherwise, this will all get disorderly very quickly.

My email is: will@williamhedricklaw.com

Let it also be clear that I want to see that the right thing is done. If you had a TD5 110 VIN'd as a 1984, I will not be able to help you. I'm doing this because, I've always felt that if positions were switched, I would appreciate someone doing the same for me.

*This offer is only extended to those 40 individuals who were effected by yesterday's seizures and who's warrant indicates a case in the Eastern District of North Carolina.

And with that said.......let the fun begin!

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old July 16th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Gas_Donkey
Julian
D110 Series 3 & Santana 2500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Import bonds are a money grab by customs over and above import duty. They only do this on commercial entries, not personal/individual. Pretty sure Cox had zero idea what the bond was for I can only imagine what he's told you. No the bond is only for the entry transaction, not for these guys years later.
He pounced on me and I was nearly sold until I asked what was in for him. He then told me that he would be charging the buyer $2500 for "helping" to get the car through. I sussed him out and warned my buyer to stay away!
I have a new US contact/agent and he helped my latest customer and charged him $100. He then wanted to charge my then customer for wasted time as he claimed he had started the process but no signatures had been written for anything. He was a right cocky wanker as we say in the UK and i'm glad I learnt before I got burnt.

Search Gas Donkey Land Rover on Facebook
Old July 16th, 2014, 03:31 PM
dolomiti
Scott
1987 One Ten

I'm new here (and a new LR owner). Perhaps a legal defense fund? I'd contribute if we can make sure that everything is on the up and up.

I am a licensed attorney in the State of Texas. Would be willing to assist in any capacity possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
OK Gentleman,

I hope I don't regret doing this, but, I've undertaken the task or representing a fellow member (and neighbor) who's 110 was seized yesterday. I am doing so pro bono (i.e., at no charge). I am willing to extend the same courtesy to the other members who have also been effected.

In full disclosure, I am not currently in private practice, but I am a licensed North Carolina attorney employed with the State of North Carolina and a member of the United States District Court of the Eastern District of North Carolina. I have today, been in contact with the Customs and Border Patrol Agent in charge of the seizures and with the US Attorney who is handling the case. Per those conversations, I have assured them both that I will not be sharing their contact information, so please do not ask.

I am willing to speak with you individually about your vehicles. If you would like to speak with me, I request that you email me your particulars first and then allow me to return your calls. Otherwise, this will all get disorderly very quickly.

Let it also be clear that I want to see that the right thing is done. If you had a TD5 110 VIN'd as a 1984, I will not be able to help you. I'm doing this because, I've always felt that if positions were switched, I would appreciate someone doing the same for me.

*This offer is only extended to those 40 individuals who were effected by yesterday's seizures and who's warrant indicates a case in the Eastern District of North Carolina.

Old July 16th, 2014, 03:31 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
OK Gentleman,

I hope I don't regret doing this, but,
Will,
If I can help with VIN de-codes or part identification via picture of things on these vehicles do not hesitate to email or call.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old July 16th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
OK Gentleman,

Outstanding Will !

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old July 16th, 2014, 03:34 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
OK Gentleman,

I applaud you Sir, way to step up!

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old July 16th, 2014, 03:34 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomiti View Post
Perhaps a legal defense fund?
Legal defense fund for what? There's nobody to defend. Individuals who have had their trucks taken are not named as Defendants in this case. Will is working pro bono which negates the use of a non-profit to shelter funds.
Old July 16th, 2014, 03:36 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Well done Sir!!

Quote:
OK Gentleman,

Old July 16th, 2014, 03:39 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
OK Gentleman,

Awesome...
Old July 16th, 2014, 03:41 PM
dolomiti
Scott
1987 One Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Legal defense fund for what? There's nobody to defend. Individuals who have had their trucks taken are not named as Defendants in this case. Will is working pro bono which negates the use of a non-profit to shelter funds.
Thanks for the help. It's implicit that it'd make sense to raise some funds to help cover his time so these "parties of interest" can intervene in the seizure hearings in a legally competent manner.

Can't do anything without the snark police getting involved.
Old July 16th, 2014, 03:42 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
OK Gentleman,

I hope I don't regret doing this, but, I've undertaken the task or representing a fellow member (and neighbor) who's 110 was seized yesterday. I am doing so pro bono (i.e., at no charge).
Will - good man. Depending on where this goes, I'd be happy to contribute some paypal cash to the cause, for expenses and whatnot.
Old July 16th, 2014, 03:43 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post
Will - good man. Depending on where this goes, I'd be happy to contribute some paypal cash to the cause, for expenses and whatnot.
Ditto.
Old July 16th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! (yeah, I said Defender, even though they are D90's and 110's)

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 16th, 2014, 03:47 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
OK Gentleman,

'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 16th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Been following all of this. Horrible situation. Good on you big time Will for stepping up and helping. Very commendable.

Quote:
OK Gentleman,

Old July 16th, 2014, 03:50 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
OK Gentleman,

Stand up... thanks for helping the community.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu