Old July 16th, 2014, 11:08 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
I find it quite interesting that they are quickly able to locate these vehicles (probably based on VIN's) throughout the country, in short order. Just as above, (post #382) many have had several owners and yet it shows that there is obviously a federal connection and ability to find a "VIN's" location quickly.
They've had a year and a half to track everything down, and judging from one of the above posts (where it happened to be miles away at his parent's house) they were obviously "searching" around until they found it.

Are there any instances of vehicles taken that were locked up inside a garage/etc? All these seem to be out in open?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2014, 11:11 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyboyUpstate View Post
I just got back from a meeting with 2 Homeland Security Agents. They were fine men, felt bad for me and obviously are just doing their job.

They say that the entire case revolves around Aaron Richardet illegally importing Land Rover Defenders. They asked me a bunch of questions about him, but I am the 3rd owner (?) of the vehicle and had nothing to do with the importing.

They also say they are working directly with Land Rover and that's how they know my truck is a 2000 and not a 1983. It is clearly not a 2000.

They tell me my only recourse to get the truck back is to file a claim with the courts in North Carolina proving that I am the owner of the truck, that I know that it's a 1983, and that I didn't know anything about illegal importation.

I feel as though my truck is in the crossfire here because of some other unscrupulous things that this guy had done.
Looking at your truck it seems to have all the makings of an 83-89.. Ribbed roof.. 200tdi.. Lt-77 etcetc... All of this stuff was phased out by 2000... Using the uk vin decoder it should be easy to verify it is what it says it is.. I have a copy of the vin decoder if you need it... Pm me the vin and I will see how it decodes... And then you can call land rover and find out why they say its a 2000...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasrover View Post
The DMV of each state will have vin on record with current owner and address
Yes, but the "feds" must have a faster way that approaching each states DMV department and saying, "hey do you have any of these VIN's on file ? There must be a centralized way to locate an individual VIN by our over-reaching federal gubment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2014, 11:12 AM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:

They tell me my only recourse to get the truck back is to file a claim with the courts in North Carolina proving that I am the owner of the truck, that I know that it's a 1983, and that I didn't know anything about illegal importation.....
Wow. In almost 18 months since my truck was seized, no one from DHS/CBP has ever advised me of this, despite me being the squeakiest wheel I can be....

Kent
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:14 AM
tjblacken
jay
none

Wasn't America great? Now we have govt swat teams collecting vehicles and our highest officials ignoring the law. No wonder they want to register firearms.

Sorry for your predicament.
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
They've had a year and a half to track everything down, and judging from one of the above posts (where it happened to be miles away at his parent's house) they were obviously "searching" around until they found it.

Are there any instances of vehicles taken that were locked up inside a garage/etc? All these seem to be out in open?

Yes the one I'm aware of was in a driveway, person came home & it was gone. Paperwork left at the front door. She did buy directly from Aaron though.

Wonder what thy'd do if it were in your garage & away for an extended period of time ? Bring in an MRAP & ram the garage door open ?
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:19 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

I'm sure the Feds have direct access to all of the states records..they are the federal government.. Not the state.. They oversee ALL states records..they just type in a vin and every record on file will come up...even traffic tickets for that vehicle..
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:19 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Yes the one I'm aware of was in a driveway, person came home & it was gone. Paperwork left at the front door. She did buy directly from Aaron though.

Wonder what thy'd do if it were in your garage & away for an extended period of time ? Bring in an MRAP & ram the garage door open ?
It was actually a different person I was referring to (DannyBoyUpstate) that had the same thing...parents awoken with swarms of police/agents.

But I agree, if you're not home are they going to ram the door and leave the house unsecured in your absence? Doesn't sound like there were any of these situations, but I also get the feeling they were "casing" the locations well in advance - for them to realize that a vehicle was in a different location other than the registered tells me they did some scouting in advance.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old July 16th, 2014, 11:21 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
'71 IIA 88 LS1 coiler, '84 110, +++

Quote:
Welp, I could do that I suppose. It says it can take from the normal 28 days to 6 weeks...

It's funny that you mention that, they specifically asked me if I knew about the Land Rover Heritage program.
I've used them. It will probably 4 to 6 weeks minimum before you could get the vehicle back in the best circumstancs anyhow. It will on you to produce the evidence to counter the fed's claim. You'll have to contact the NC court to arrange your hearing, hopefully, with all documents that validate your truck is an '83 . Don't expect the fed's to do anything on your behalf in hopes that the vehicle will just be cleared and returned. The gov't just doesn't work that way.
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:22 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

That would be the best way to maximize seizures before alerting the public and interweb of what was going on... A co-ordinated strike commencing at one given time..
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I just got back from a meeting with 2 Homeland Security Agents. They were fine men, felt bad for me and obviously are just doing their job.

They say that the entire case revolves around Aaron Richardet illegally importing Land Rover Defenders. They asked me a bunch of questions about him, but I am the 3rd owner (?) of the vehicle and had nothing to do with the importing.

They also say they are working directly with Land Rover and that's how they know my truck is a 2000 and not a 1983. It is clearly not a 2000.

They tell me my only recourse to get the truck back is to file a claim with the courts in North Carolina proving that I am the owner of the truck, that I know that it's a 1983, and that I didn't know anything about illegal importation.

I feel as though my truck is in the crossfire here because of some other unscrupulous things that this guy had done.
See when I read this I get angry because this is clearly JLRNA giving very poor information/lying to the customs officers. Why Jaguar Land Rover North America is lying is the larger issue.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old July 16th, 2014, 11:26 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
See when I read this I get angry because this is clearly JLRNA giving very poor information/lying to the customs officers. Why Jaguar Land Rover North America is lying is the larger issue.
Not to mention....they (CBP or JLRNA) haven't even LOOKED at the truck! It's been in their possession 24hrs, and they were making these claims prior to even taking the vehicle.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old July 16th, 2014, 11:32 AM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Red110 View Post
Wow. In almost 18 months since my truck was seized, no one from DHS/CBP has ever advised me of this, despite me being the squeakiest wheel I can be....

Kent
That was written in the warrant I received pertaining to this seizure. The Agents from DHS told me to make sure I get as much information about my ownership as possible.

------ Follow up post added July 16th, 2014 12:33 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I completely agree with you. I do feel that this is more of a corporate move being made to stop or at least slow the importation of vehicles as the current law is written.
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Gas_Donkey
Julian
D110 Series 3 & Santana 2500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
North Carolina appears to be the common denominator here.
North Carolina importer
North Carolina port
North Carolina court

Gas Donkey,
Did these allegedly confiscated Swiss trucks come thru NC?
I have no idea. i was just going from what was stated on here.

Search Gas Donkey Land Rover on Facebook
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:37 AM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
This whole situation leaves a knot in my stomach. I hope those of you who lost your trucks get them returned quickly and without damage (or a pile of legal bills).
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Gas_Donkey
Julian
D110 Series 3 & Santana 2500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Prolly cz it's not a Land Rover
Hmmmm, i'm going with was written on the Ficha technica and on the car and I do believe it said Land Rover.

Search Gas Donkey Land Rover on Facebook
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:40 AM
mnpikey
Shawn
D90

The fact that they just seized these vehicles without even checking into anything and giving owners a chance to respond, shows there is no longer due process and they don't care if they are right or not.

The seized vehicles will likely be crushed before anything can even be done legally.

The Feds do NOTHING quickly. Any chance for possibly getting anything back (vehicle or compensation) would be years away. Submit paperwork here, other departments know nothing about it, and in the mean time the vehicles are crushed by another department.

And I wouldn't doubt it they'd try and charge owners storage, legal, and disposal fees....
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjblacken View Post
Wasn't America great? Now we have govt swat teams collecting vehicles and our highest officials ignoring the law. No wonder they want to register firearms.

Sorry for your predicament.
America is still Great!. It has always been this way, Big Government (insists upon it's self) requires it, presumed guilty before proved...sort it later.

You see it everyday...we just get it faster now. Seconds instead of hours and days. You can be taken into custody for no proven reason, all of your information is out there...everything you do, say, type, buy...everything. If you object move to the French Polynesia island of Tahiti. It will always be this way.
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:52 AM
mnpikey
Shawn
D90

Submitted story to Jalopnik.
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:52 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

It seems to me that CBP/DHS is assuming all trucks fom Aaron are illegal ergo the VIN attached to the truck is not Proof of the year.
It's stupid easy to decode the VIN and I imagine all seized vehicles will decode as 25 years old or older. But it seems that Govt is not taking that info as evidence of legal vehicle.
So will come down to other evidence of the year I guess. And God forbid if your chassis has been replaced or repaired.
Also if the truck has a 200 or 300 tdi I imagine your toast regardless of the age of the rest of the truck.
I wonder if people will be given the chance to remove the offending engine to get the otherwise 25 year old truck back?
Doubt it.
It seems to me that many people relied on the Govt to their detriment. I.E the truck was allowed in and given a " clean bill of health" by CBP/EPA/DOT etc so must be legal to buy etc.
It's an assumption one would rightly make.
I wonder if a lawyer could file an injunction against seizure until a hearing to determine the likely age of a specific truck on the list. Obviously this warrant is far reaching and does not present evidence for each individual truck. It's like rounding up all the known associates of a criminal to find out if any of them are also criminals. Seems like an over reach by the court in NC. Someone needs to stand up to this court. The judge only heard fom the prosecution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu