Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 16th, 2014, 09:17 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Yes, those are indeed words. They even seem to be gobbed together in what appear to be sentences. That's all I got.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2014, 09:24 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Nobody was throwing ECR under any bus.. I simply made a comment that we hadn't heard from ECR today..now if someone believes that constitutes throwing someone under the bus... Then that's a whole different kettle of fish.... As far as Aaron goes.. I don't think there is many people out there who can say that he isn't involved in this... I may be wrong but I think Aaron may as well change the oil while he is under that bus already...he is so far under that bus he could teach Keanuu reeves his role in SPEED..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2014, 09:26 AM
javelinadave
-
-

North Carolina appears to be the common denominator here.
North Carolina importer
North Carolina port
North Carolina court

Gas Donkey,
Did these allegedly confiscated Swiss trucks come thru NC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howski View Post
x2. There are great and trustworthy importers on this forum but the dark clouds that will likely continue to hover over RoW trucks make it a risk I'd never take again. It'll be a Series or Disco down the road for me
I certainly understand your sentiments Kevin, given your loss, but this is about a criminal investigation.

Customs has been quite thorough in their examinations and identifying all original vehicles since December 2012. When in doubt pictures are taken and sent to both EPA and DOT for a thumbs up before a vehicle is granted entry and allowed to leave the port. I personally imported a truck this month in my name and as others have posted it cleared through fine.
As long as a vehicle is all original and has no modernization/modifications its import is legal and will go smoothly. Once its here you can modify to your hearts content.
Prior to December 2012 and EPA and DOT getting actively involved @ JLRNA's request,Customs wasn't sure just what they were looking @ with these vehicles since as well all know there is little difference between an 1983 and a 2013. These officers and agents handle everything from Chinese widgets to produce to combines daily. They are now well educated on Defenders and give them special attention. The result is, they feel pretty good about the legality of the vehicles entering the country since the end of 2012.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 16th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

This thread has now gone through four stages of Internet communication.

1: OMG stage. Where people report news and freak out
2: Oh Shit stage: The "I think it could happen to me" stage closely associated with the admission by some that it has happened to them.
3: Speculation phase: What ifs and other post Oh Shit stage speculation about what happens and reasons why.
4: Name calling phase.

Hopefully we can go back to regularly scheduled programming soon.
Old July 16th, 2014, 09:39 AM
REDrum
Niall Johnson
1970 Series IIA 88 - Sandstone

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas_Donkey View Post
My car from Spain has been released from Customs with no problem within the time frame of all this happening.
My Series IIa from Costa Rica hit the docks in Miami 18Jun and is still not released.

And, I just got of the phone with CBP, they called me and asked me 20 questions about why I was importing the truck and the ownership history of it. Could be just coincidence. But the other series trucks I've imported took less than a week to clear CBP and no phone conversation.

My sense is that all Land Rovers being imported are now guilty until proven innocent.

'99 UZJ 100 - for glamping and grocery getting
'94 FZJ80 - our Costa Rican coffee mule
'96 FZJ80 - 3XL, racked, shaved and dipped in Raptor coat
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - a Costa Rican expat now with US citizenship!
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - for Central America surf & coffee exploration
'56 Petrol S1 86 - a whole new kind of land rover hell...
Old July 16th, 2014, 09:47 AM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

The size and scope of this, combined with the financial investment CBP is making in the effort, certainly seems to point to something more than just violation of import regulations.

It is more on par with the investigation of an international auto theft ring.

It will be very interesting to see how this unfolds. Has there been any word from our UK brethren about anybody "rolling" over there?
Old July 16th, 2014, 09:49 AM
REDrum
Niall Johnson
1970 Series IIA 88 - Sandstone

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
They are now well educated on Defenders and give them special attention. The result is, they feel pretty good about the legality of the vehicles entering the country since the end of 2012.
You certainly have a lot more data points from importing than I do, lets hope the post 2012 timing is a new dawn for importing of Land Rovers. Again, my current import circumstance my just be coincidental. But the phone call was startling.

'99 UZJ 100 - for glamping and grocery getting
'94 FZJ80 - our Costa Rican coffee mule
'96 FZJ80 - 3XL, racked, shaved and dipped in Raptor coat
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - a Costa Rican expat now with US citizenship!
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - for Central America surf & coffee exploration
'56 Petrol S1 86 - a whole new kind of land rover hell...
Old July 16th, 2014, 09:49 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I agree from what I have heard its more about stolen cars and parts..
Old July 16th, 2014, 09:51 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Page 1 site was giving me a hard time posting both pages
So have you seen he entire warrant? Does it list names of individuals, locations ,and VIN's?
Old July 16th, 2014, 09:53 AM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
I'd be interested in examining a copy of the warrant, if one were inclined to share it that is.
I would like to see it too. One has never been produced for me, despite my requests....

Kent
Old July 16th, 2014, 09:55 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I imported a 1988 110 yesterday. Drove it across from Canada myself. We went out of our way to make sure it was legal and able to be imported. In that process the CBP agents were all very nice. Like dealing with military or police on a regular Sunday afternoon. They didn't even look at my car. I have a lot of documentation to show it is original. It has proper VINs, and they didn't even look to see for themselves.

I could have been driving a 2010 Td5 and it wouldn't have made a difference.

The question is obviously not whether the truck got through Customs. The question is whether it is legal at any given point in time.

I believe mine to be legal. I will not be hiding it.

I've never had direct dealings with the guy from NC. But I have come across his adverts and others like him. Those trucks were always suspicious. People gambled when buying any truck like that, I really feel bad for them because there really should never be a law that punishes good people for exercising liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Yes, this issue really is THAT big of an issue. The loss of these vehicles is only a symptom of the cancer.

This is sure a low way to begin my first day as a 110 owner.
Old July 16th, 2014, 09:59 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
'71 IIA 88 LS1 coiler, '84 110, +++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radortho View Post
any seizures today?
X2 All seems quiet on the eastern front assuming CBP has collected all of the vehicles they could readily locate yesterday. The hiding of any said vehicle is probably only prolonging the inevitable. As many LR owners are rather nomadic, I suspect that some aren't even aware of what's happened over the last 36 hours assuming no contact with these forums or informed persons. It occurs to me that CBP could actually use this and other forums to notify owner's of questionable vehicles by providing VINs but that would remove their cloak and mitigate the militarization of this operation. I can't imagine needing several well-armed and amoured men to converge on and remove personal property from a US citizen. It's not like taking down a meth lab. Hell, even the TV repo shows rarely have even one cop in the background.
Old July 16th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
So have you seen he entire warrant? Does it list names of individuals, locations ,and VIN's?
It does not list names or locations. Simply identifies vehicle by year, make, model and VIN number
Old July 16th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
No names, just Vins.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old July 16th, 2014, 10:51 AM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
I just got back from a meeting with 2 Homeland Security Agents. They were fine men, felt bad for me and obviously are just doing their job.

They say that the entire case revolves around Aaron Richardet illegally importing Land Rover Defenders. They asked me a bunch of questions about him, but I am the 3rd owner (?) of the vehicle and had nothing to do with the importing.

They also say they are working directly with Land Rover and that's how they know my truck is a 2000 and not a 1983. It is clearly not a 2000.

They tell me my only recourse to get the truck back is to file a claim with the courts in North Carolina proving that I am the owner of the truck, that I know that it's a 1983, and that I didn't know anything about illegal importation.

I feel as though my truck is in the crossfire here because of some other unscrupulous things that this guy had done.
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:01 AM
chasrover
Brian
1968 109

Get a heritage certificate for it. Should prove build date.

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co....hive-services/
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I find it quite interesting that they are quickly able to locate these vehicles (probably based on VIN's) throughout the country, in short order. Just as above, (post #382) many have had several owners and yet it shows that there is obviously a federal connection and ability to find a "VIN's" location quickly.
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:06 AM
chasrover
Brian
1968 109

The DMV of each state will have vin on record with current owner and address
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:07 AM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasrover View Post
Get a heritage certificate for it. Should prove build date.

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co....hive-services/
Welp, I could do that I suppose. It says it can take from the normal 28 days to 6 weeks...

It's funny that you mention that, they specifically asked me if I knew about the Land Rover Heritage program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu