Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 16th, 2014, 07:35 AM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
Sounds like a few people have a copy in hand of the list of the VINs being seized, why not post it?

This would have made a great April Fools day prank.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2014, 07:35 AM
dolomiti
Scott
1987 One Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas_Donkey View Post
This is the post that worries me the most.At one point it could have all been tied to the NY thing. Then this car pops up that is obviously so original that this whole thing starts to lose any sense. Is there more to it than meets the eye? Trying to send out a message in an underhanded way and scaring people off in an unofficial capacity so as to avoid more coming in. They can't do it officially as it's the whole 25 year law thing.
Perhaps a common port of origin?

Stolen parts/trucks as the catalyst for this? It seems like a good old fashioned case of public servants over zealously prosecuting and then letting the matter get settled (on each individual rover) in court/administrative hearing. In my state we have a problem with sticky fingered law enforcement and counties wanting to seize anything which may or may not be related to crime, making it very costly for innocent parties to recover their cash/assets.

------ Follow up post added July 16th, 2014 06:37 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
Agreed.
So the next question is, if you have a truck in the UK waiting for the 25 year mark before shipping, do you take a chance and send it when it reaches the proper age?
Mine just cleared customs last week. Process couldn't have been easier. Customs agent was the nicest government employee I've ever dealt with (outside of the military).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2014, 07:37 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX6RCROL View Post
Sounds like a few people have a copy in hand of the list of the VINs being seized, why not post it?

This would have made a great April Fools day prank.

+1...

Old July 16th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Gas_Donkey
Julian
D110 Series 3 & Santana 2500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
Agreed.
So the next question is, if you have a truck in the UK waiting for the 25 year mark before shipping, do you take a chance and send it when it reaches the proper age?
It will make headlines for a while, scare some folks off for a while. Maybe this is what they want! Then after a while people will forget and it will then continue as before albeit with buyers being very careful with whom they deal with.
If the car is 25 years old then there should be NO problem. As the written law stands at the moment they should be let in. They will probably be inspected under the microscope from now on. However if you are doing nothing illegally then there should be nothing to worry about should there?
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

To conduct a search warrant across numerous locations they'll need approvals in a number of different Federal Court Districts.
That would explain the different numbers of vehicles people are seeing. Each judge only ruled on vehicles in its territory.
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stAirborne View Post
I know that situation doesn't compare to this one, but let's just wait and see if Dr. A was deceived by his supplier. If he was knowingly bringing VIN swapped trucks into the US and selling them to honest people, then God have mercy on his soul because he will be forever blacklisted and the blacklist will probably extend to his associates.
Did you ever go down to his "dealership"? I had, to inspect a truck. If you knew what to look for, and had a general knowledge of what was supposed to be there, which a Rover shop owner and 'enthusiast' would know, you would have seen that many things were not quite right. I recall a thread that was started to review his services and many, many users came out to complain about his practices and the trucks he offered. One, being most memorable, I believe actually caught fire. Rather than being left to stand (or, cleaned of the conjecture), it was shut down and holed. A huge disservice as many, myself included, originally found this site looking for Defenders to purchase. NAS trucks were/ are out of my league but ROW trucks are not.

Like many of those affected, seeing a brick and mortar place, licensed and bonded, with which to visit, inspect, drive, and complete the transaction was ideal. I went down and there were about 4 Defenders and a green TDI swapped D1.

For me:
motor: it was a 300tdi w/ OBD port (in a "1985")
runs fine: pump turned WAY up, leaking injector
safe to drive: cracked and leaking brake line (not hose)
clean frame: rear section welded in (not that big of a deal) by a blind man with the wrong settings all together (bigger deal as I have seen bird shit that better resembled a weld bead, which I would have to remedy)
good paint: yellow applied in a method that can best be described as dumping a gallon on the body and letting it run

I am not saying the he knew about everything, he might not have. But, his group of mechanics and any enthusiast would have had a plethora of reasons to question what they were bringing in. I might have been more wary than the average buyer having spent most of my life around MGs, Triumphs, etc... and seeing an earlier round up of illegal Minis.

I feel terribly for the people whose trucks were wound up and the fact that he has been listed as the specific seller of many of these seized trucks is telling. If the Dutch and Swiss seizures posting is to be believed, it seems to me that they are rounding up many ROW Defenders simply in response to being had many times over by said importer (whether knowingly or not). Seems to me a sort of guilt by association thing, which I truly hope that it is not. Just my sad observations.
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:49 AM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
To conduct a search warrant across numerous locations they'll need approvals in a number of different Federal Court Districts.
That would explain the different numbers of vehicles people are seeing. Each judge only ruled on vehicles in its territory.

The warrant I was given in Upstate, NY was from North Carolina.
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Gas_Donkey
Julian
D110 Series 3 & Santana 2500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomiti View Post

Mine just cleared customs last week. Process couldn't have been easier. Customs agent was the nicest government employee I've ever dealt with (outside of the military).
So did mine without any travel it would seem. From here to Jacksonville inside of a month all cleared. I received a photo yesterday of it having arrived on Monday evening.
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:09 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

It seems that if Aaron was so sorry for what is going on he would have chimed in with his information that he knows.. If he doesn't then it confirms way more things that a lot of people are thinking...did he indeed roll over and come forth to CBP with information that he had of stolen parts etc etc... I guess if his silence continues then he and anyone he is associated with should see the ramifications behind his actions...if Himalaya are keeping an eye on this thread (which with the activity and people signed on yesterday is any indication it's hard to believe they aren't.. ) they should be blacklisted also as I believe he works for them now..., they have to know his past as well.. Even IF Aaron is bound by law not to say anything he could even just say that here... His silence is making look even more guilty...nothing should ever be sold to or bought from anyone having any connection with him....
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:11 AM
PTSchram
P. T. Schram
Down to only six!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
While hiding it would be the first thing I would think to do, what good would it do? You would be hiding an illegal item that there is a warrant for. Doesn't seem wise to me.
If the warrant were for a person, anyone aware of the existence of the warrant (actual knowledge OR constructive knowledge), the peron sheltering the individual named in the warrant would be committing a crime of aiding/abetting/obstructing/ perhaps even destruction of evidence.

But, as this is likely a civil action, the standards are lower, but you can damn sure bet your ass that if the feds were to learn that you provided garage space to hide a vehicle you knew they were after, I suspect THAT action might rise to the level of a federal crime.

Not something I am willing to risk my liberty, my fortune, and my ability to exercise my constitutional rights in the future.
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:23 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

That would be a hard accusation to make stick and confirm..
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:25 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I guess we know why Aaron didn't just replace Kent aka 85red110's truck... if he did it for him he would have to do it for everybody...
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:27 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
It seems that if Aaron was so sorry for what is going on he would have chimed in with his information that he knows.. If he doesn't then it confirms way more things that a lot of people are thinking...did he indeed roll over and come forth to CBP with information that he had of stolen parts etc etc... I guess if his silence continues then he and anyone he is associated with should see the ramifications behind his actions...if Himalaya are keeping an eye on this thread (which with the activity and people signed on yesterday is any indication it's hard to believe they aren't.. ) they should be blacklisted also as I believe he works for them now..., they have to know his past as well.. Even IF Aaron is bound by law not to say anything he could even just say that here... His silence is making look even more guilty...nothing should ever be sold to or bought from anyone having any connection with him....
I have no idea what the reasons for why Aaron has not commented. I don't know him and have never had any contact with him. For this reason I'm not making assumptions about him or his actions. I'm not judging his business, his employees or any goods he may have traded in as I have no first hand knowledge.

Perhaps you could consider doing the same?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:34 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Man I am ready to pull the trigger on buying an imported one...now I am getting cold feet. I know the vehicle is not associated on anyway to The NC importer as I know the original importer.

What concerns me is the post mentioning the two Swiss trucks seized without any association with the targeted NC importer

BUGGER!!!!!!
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:36 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

Since the modus operandi in this whole thing seems to be guilty until proven innocent.....I'm gonna go with what I said...
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
If he is in the middle of a law suit it would be foolish for him to be posting on a public forum about it.
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:46 AM
marcingham
Marc Ingham
1967 IIA 88

Silence

Quote:
Someone else posted previously about Aaron's silence speaking volumes (or something like that). Has it occurred to anyone that he is the subject of a massive investigation and has certainly been directed by his lawyer(s) to not make ANY statements about the matter? Certainly not on a public forum!
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:50 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Man I am ready to pull the trigger on buying an imported one...now I am getting cold feet. I know the vehicle is not associated on anyway to The NC importer as I know the original importer. What concerns me is the post mentioning the two Swiss trucks seized without any association with the targeted NC importer BUGGER!!!!!!
The Swiss trucks could be part of a separate investigation that is being wrapped up in this seizure. It's not so widespread that every ROW truck stateside has been grabbed up.
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:53 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
It seems that if Aaron was so sorry for what is going on he would have chimed in with his information that he knows.. If he doesn't then it confirms way more things that a lot of people are thinking...did he indeed roll over and come forth to CBP with information that he had of stolen parts etc etc... I guess if his silence continues then he and anyone he is associated with should see the ramifications behind his actions...if Himalaya are keeping an eye on this thread (which with the activity and people signed on yesterday is any indication it's hard to believe they aren't.. ) they should be blacklisted also as I believe he works for them now..., they have to know his past as well.. Even IF Aaron is bound by law not to say anything he could even just say that here... His silence is making look even more guilty..
Quote:
Haven't heard much from ECR today..!!

Um, how about No.
You seem really fast to be dumping shit on other people. I just happened to log on yesterday so that I could contact the guy that bought some used seats from us. If I had not done that I would have no knowledge of any of this. Sometimes people with busy companies don't log on this site every day.
The thread was only live for half a day and you were already throwing ECR under the bus? Sometimes I don't check this site for months. Now you are tossing other companies under the same bus because they have not logged on and defended themselves for something that they may have no part in?
Are you just into conspiracy or what?

I have no dog in this fight and maybe people did some serious wrong, but the fact that a person/company (and maybe someone who is dealing with some serious crap right now (crap more important than a forum)) hasn't logged on to satisfy your curiosity fast enough does not automatically mean they are guilty.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/MA2NDf9LdDE

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old July 16th, 2014, 09:05 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
I guess we know why Aaron didn't just replace Kent aka 85red110's truck... if he did it for him he would have to do it for everybody...
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I have no idea what the reasons for why Aaron has not commented. I don't know him and have never had any contact with him. For this reason I'm not making assumptions about him or his actions. I'm not judging his business, his employees or any goods he may have traded in as I have no first hand knowledge.

Perhaps you could consider doing the same?
I'd imagine any attorney would suggest not doing or saying anything before court, just so that it couldn't be used against him. But I'm no lawyer, so I'm just guessing.

Other than a couple of texts back and forth about some body parts that I ultimately couldn't afford at the right time, I've never dealt with him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu