Homeland Security took my 110 - Page 16 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 15th, 2014, 11:00 PM
Scottyoh
Enigma RnR
'87 127"
D-90 Source Vendor

They must have different warrants for different people or parts of the country. Someone earlier in the thread said their copy listed 38, Hitch is saying 61, and the one I saw had 40.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Hitch
scott
86/ 110

The agent told me there was 161 total east coast to west coast in the investigation.
Old July 15th, 2014, 11:13 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I had 2 homeland security agents, state police, and local sheriff in my drive way when I went outside to go to work today. My, what I believe to be an 1986 110 was arrested and seized about 8:30 this morning.

When I purchased my vehicle I went to NC from Florida to look at and drive it. I compared the VIN on the bill of sale to the frame VIN and the VIN plate near the master cylinder. I in no way thought I was gambling in purchasing a vehicle that was licensed in NC. and had been in the states for a year prior to me purchasing it. The state police detective showed me where the engine block VIN had been filed and re-stamped.

On the dept of treasury process receipt it lists Land Rover Vehicles and the defendant. There are 61 VINS listed on the warrant. I was told I have 35 days to file a claim and was not given a form or anything to file. I spoke to the attorney listed on the complaint and he told me the case is still and open investigation and could not talk to me about it for another 24-48 hours.

I did not join this forum and post this to be a part of the negative BS. I am reaching out for ideas on how to get my vehicle back because when I spoke to the US attorney he indicated the US government has no intention of giving our vehicles back do to safety reasons. I know it is not up to him a judge will make that determination.
Why oh why couldn't the CBP figure out "restamped" engines before they were allowed into the country. It's such a crock of shit that the Govt can seize property from a legitimate buyer after basically giving the vehicle a clean bill of health so to speak by allowing into the country. No statute of limitations for the Feds I guess.
What's all this about "hiding" your truck? Isn't that perjury or obstruction or something? If they ask you where it is and you say you don't know that's lying. I don't see how that gets you off the hook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2014, 11:20 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Nobody says anything about getting off the hook... But if someone paid good money for a vehicle that bought in good faith for a pretty penny and they finish up losing that same truck with no hope of getting their money back or any idea IF they will get their truck back.. Could you blame someone for not just rolling over.. You say its breaking the law or whatever.... Where's the law that protects the innocent purchaser or the unaware victim..????
Old July 15th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Hitch
scott
86/ 110

Amen. I did not break any laws. I bought it, titled it, and paid taxes on it for 2 years. Now somebody with a badge shows up and takes it. WTF?
Not to mention my neighbors all think I'm a criminal now after the show for an hour and a half this morning.
Old July 15th, 2014, 11:45 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Not to mention my neighbors all think I'm a criminal now after the show for an hour and a half this morning.
Meh! Nobody ever asks why the cops or the SWAT team comes to my house. If they do tell them that you were "probed" by aliens in your bathing suit area and wanted to report it. They will stop asking any questions after that.
Old July 15th, 2014, 11:59 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1986 D110 V8

Registry
Homeland Security took my 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
FWIW pretty sure the entity in NC never imported 160 vehicles.

If that's the case, where are all the supposedly 160+ VINs in the seize coming from then?

Should I and others like me who haven't been approached by the CBP, and who supposedly have clean, unmolested, original trucks be worried? My truck for example was privately imported by the PO (he gave me all of the importation documents), titled in the US in his home state for 2 years, and then just recently purchased and titled by me. Should I be worried?
Defenderless for now!
Old July 16th, 2014, 12:51 AM
Ash
Ash Heller
6.0 LS 110
D-90 Source Vendor

As someone who had a bit of an inside line when the original bust took place at GB4x4, here's my take on this situation...

Firstly, the figure that I was told on the number of imported trucks far exceeds the supposed 160 that CPB is currently rounding up. While Aaron was buying and selling Defenders in pretty substantial quantities, he was also offering importation services for those who sourced and purchased vehicles themselves, but still needed a bonded importer to get them here. I believe the 160 trucks being seized are those that were purchased, imported, and sold by Aaron/GB4x4/ROE et al., and the numerous trucks that Aaron offered a basic importation service on are likely not on the list. Based on the stories we're hearing from those individuals who had their trucks seized today, that appears to be true. For now, anyways.

When the initial raid happened back in March of last year, one of the things I heard was that CBP were seizing items that were clearly legal in the US, such as V8 engines and transmissions. If true, I'm inclined to believe this is more of a hunt for stolen parts and/or vehicles than non-compliant configurations. The few trucks I touched that came from Wilmington were clearly of the appropriate vintage, but with late model Tdi's and Td5's. If anything seized back then was determined to be stolen property, that's all CBP needed to justify seizure of all the trucks associated with the outfit. Keep in mind the rampant theft taking place across the pond...I imagine there's a lot of pressure on US agencies to act.

I think they're rounding all of these Defenders up to determine what, if any, stolen parts these trucks may contain in an effort to compile evidence against Aaron. The fact that many are non-compliant is probably secondary, but definitely not good for the guys hoping to get their trucks back once the dust settles.

Bottom line is, I wouldn't go burying your Defenders just yet. Those with grey-market or downright illegal trucks are always going to be looking over their shoulders, but the guys with legit 25+ trucks shouldn't worry about them getting carted off on a flatbed. That is, unless it came from Wilmington...in which case you should hide your dogs.

Just my thoughts.

-Ash

352-572-3236

Old July 16th, 2014, 01:02 AM
stobbie
Paul
One-Ten Land Rovers, www.One-Ten.nl

I've heard about a few seizures as well..

A friend of mine from Switserland has sold his 1986 110 V8 to the US about a year ago.
It was a 100% original car, which he had bought new himself in 1986.
it was seized yesterday.
They did not use one off the well known defender importers but they have arranged everything themselves as much as possible.

I also know off two other seizures, a Dutch 110 V8, and a Swiss 90 2.5 N/A diesel, both original cars with no modifications and not imported by one off the bigger names.
Old July 16th, 2014, 02:15 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

"I don’t like the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which has become America’s standing army. I don’t like military weapons such as armored vehicles, sound cannons and the like being used against the American citizens. I don’t like government agencies such as the DHS, Post Office, Social Security Administration and Wildlife stocking up on hollow-point bullets. And I definitely don’t like the implications of detention centers being built that could house American citizens."

To read more
http://www.lewrockwell.com/2014/07/j...-police-state/
Old July 16th, 2014, 02:15 AM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover110 View Post
Oh fuck, you gambled and lost. You knew the possible outcomes. So man up and shut up. You tried to game the system and it gamed you. Reboot
You are not the type of friend Jesus would pick.
Old July 16th, 2014, 03:45 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
[QUOTE=samer0214;546065]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
FWIW pretty sure the entity in NC never imported 160 vehicles. /QUOTE]

If that's the case, where are all the supposedly 160+ VINs in the seize coming from then?

Should I and others like me who haven't been approached by the CBP, and who supposedly have clean, unmolested, original trucks be worried? My truck for example was privately imported by the PO (he gave me all of the importation documents), titled in the US in his home state for 2 years, and then just recently purchased and titled by me. Should I be worried?
I'm wondering the same thing. I have solid records 3" thick going back to this truck's birth that show it is what it claims to be. I went out of my way to make sure it was imported legally. I talked to three different Customs agents on the phone, explained the vehicle, explained why I was worried about trying to bring it in. I overwhelmed them with proof so much so that they didn't even come out to look at the truck. It has original equipment front to back -- except for wooden tool boxes and a steering guard.

Today, I wake up. See this thread. Meet the private party owner, pay him, and go across the border with my 110.

Do I need to be worried? Or is the law just a bait and switch? Sure, bring it in! And make sure you do it LEGALLY so it is easier for us to track you down and take it.
Old July 16th, 2014, 04:20 AM
Gas_Donkey
Julian
D110 Series 3 & Santana 2500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
I think Landie is Bill Cocks.
Should that be Bill Cox? i ask as I have had dealing with a guy of the same name. there cannot be too many people dealing in Landys with that name. He was offering his services to me as a broker. He mainly deals in Mokes.
Old July 16th, 2014, 04:27 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas_Donkey View Post
Should that be Bill Cox? i ask as I have had dealing with a guy of the same name. there cannot be too many people dealing in Landys with that name. He was offering his services to me as a broker. He mainly deals in Mokes.
I think it should be. Do yourself a favor and don't deal with him. Uncle Doug is the only reliable guy in the broker business.
Old July 16th, 2014, 04:38 AM
Gas_Donkey
Julian

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I think it should be. Do yourself a favor and don't deal with him. Uncle Doug is the only reliable guy in the broker business.
It was such a coincidence that that name should come up. Just shows what a small world the defender community is in the states. he came to me via Ebay when I was selling a car. Latched on with the line that no car could be imported without a bonded importer importing it for you. I said OK and then he hit me with the $2500 bit for his services! We call them chancers. I don't know what you guys call them.
Old July 16th, 2014, 05:08 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi chaps, Ive watched this thread develop since early yeasterday and must say I'm gutted for anyone that has lost their ride however it was purchased.
I am also dismayed by the insensitve comments by some assclowns, a brit amoung them - a handsome chap though - !

That aside can anyone tell me if the vehicles were sized so they can be inspected or if they have been sized to be crushed.
Do the owners have the right of appeal or the abillity to retain the vehicles as "parts or off-road use only" assuming the vehicles do not contain stolen or suspect parts.

Regards to all & sympathy's to some.

Gren
Old July 16th, 2014, 05:14 AM
Gas_Donkey
Julian

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gren_T View Post

That aside can anyone tell me if the vehicles were sized so they can be inspected or if they have been sized to be crushed.

Gren
I don't think judging by the posts that Homeland Security has been very forthcoming with this type of information. If it's a blanket thing then that is very worrying. However surely if it is proven that indeed your car is over 25 years old and is not a ringer then there should be nothing to worry about?
Of course it is an inconvenience until then and I feel sorry for anyone that has to go through this.
Old July 16th, 2014, 05:28 AM
fireball
Ben
Shopping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stobbie View Post

A friend of mine from Switserland has sold his 1986 110 V8 to the US about a year ago.
it was seized yesterday.
They did not use one off the well known defender importers but they have arranged everything themselves as much as possible.

I also know off two other seizures, a Dutch 110 V8, and a Swiss 90 2.5 N/A diesel, both original cars with no modifications and not imported by one off the bigger names.
Can anyone else confirm this? Sounds like no one knows for sure just how far-reaching this is.
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Gas_Donkey
Julian

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stobbie View Post

it was seized yesterday.

This is the post that worries me the most.At one point it could have all been tied to the NY thing. Then this car pops up that is obviously so original that this whole thing starts to lose any sense. Is there more to it than meets the eye? Trying to send out a message in an underhanded way and scaring people off in an unofficial capacity so as to avoid more coming in. They can't do it officially as it's the whole 25 year law thing.
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:33 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas_Donkey View Post
This is the post that worries me the most.At one point it could have all been tied to the NY thing. Then this car pops up that is obviously so original that this whole thing starts to lose any sense. Is there more to it than meets the eye? Trying to send out a message in an underhanded way and scaring people off in an unofficial capacity so as to avoid more coming in. They can't do it officially as it's the whole 25 year law thing.
Agreed.
So the next question is, if you have a truck in the UK waiting for the 25 year mark before shipping, do you take a chance and send it when it reaches the proper age?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu