Homeland Security took my 110 - Page 106 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 3rd, 2015, 02:23 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I could care less about Fox. But news is news. When I tell my non-motorhead friends about this, they can't believe the story. The whole issue of Civil Forfeiture is way out of hand, but this case just might actually get a bit of attention on the issue. Sure, it's just a bunch of lousy Land Rovers, but if you look at CF cases across the country right now, you see that many people are losing their life savings, their homes, whatever cash they happen to have on them at the time. More news = better.

By the way, from what I can remember, this all started with Reagan's War on Drugs. The law was meant to allow agencies to stop drug smugglers on the spot, before the cartels could use their vast resources to just keep pushing while the police waited for a judge to allow the confiscation and holding of materiel in a case. The whole thing is being abused now, mostly just so agencies can get bonus cash added to their budgets -- whatever they confiscate is sold or simply used and never given back ------ Unless WILL HENDRICK takes the CASE!

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2015, 02:38 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
LRO news

US Owners Get Their Seized Defenders Back | LRO.com UK

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 FHC
Old June 3rd, 2015, 02:48 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
I could care less about Fox. But news is news. When I tell my non-motorhead friends about this, they can't believe the story. The whole issue of Civil Forfeiture is way out of hand, but this case just might actually get a bit of attention on the issue. Sure, it's just a bunch of lousy Land Rovers, but if you look at CF cases across the country right now, you see that many people are losing their life savings, their homes, whatever cash they happen to have on them at the time. More news = better.

By the way, from what I can remember, this all started with Reagan's War on Drugs. The law was meant to allow agencies to stop drug smugglers on the spot, before the cartels could use their vast resources to just keep pushing while the police waited for a judge to allow the confiscation and holding of materiel in a case. The whole thing is being abused now, mostly just so agencies can get bonus cash added to their budgets -- whatever they confiscate is sold or simply used and never given back ------ Unless WILL HENDRICK takes the CASE!
You may have missed my post a few pages back but Kill the Messenger is a great movie covering exactly this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2015, 03:19 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
You may have missed my post a few pages back but Kill the Messenger is a great movie covering exactly this.
I'll go back and look for it!

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:20 PM
jputnins
John Putnins
1995 Defender 90 SW

I just heard the news. Heck yeah, congratulations Will and everyone! I'm glad to hear things have worked out well for a change. And a huge thanks to Will for taking on the Feds on behalf of the Rover owners! Just shows how wonderful the Rover community is!

-John
Disco 1 "Truck-in-a-box"
Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:31 PM
JASEcrest
Jason
'88 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
I've received word that a senior correspondent and crew from Fox News Channel is on its way up from Atlanta to interview me and a couple of my clients.
--
If they let you know, will you pass along the detail of the broadcast? I recall seeing the youtube videos of when they took the Defenders...

I thank you for your efforts, as they indirectly affect me (not being one of your clients). Quite the resume builder.

Please feel comfortable accepting (receiving) anything this community gives you, as you more then deserve it. Thank you.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:02 PM
stevenr
Steven Ratajczyk
1999 D1

I don't get on the boards really, so I just heard this news last night, but just want to say congrats to Will and the owners that will be getting their trucks back.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:29 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Congrats to Will and all involved! Nice to see right overcome might.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:33 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
To All,

Due to circumstances on our end, I've requested to postpone our interview with FOX News. We are thrilled that FOX News has taken an interest in our story, but as it turns out, we have some legal formalities on our that are taking a bit longer to finalize than I had originally anticipated. As such, I take full responsibility, and accordingly offer my apologies to both Fox News and to the members and readers here for the delay. It is my hope that we will be able revisit FOX News' coverage of our story once everything is finalized and the Defenders have been returned to their owners.

My thanks again goes out to FOX News and to everyone for their understanding!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old June 3rd, 2015, 06:06 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Pttthh!!! You owe no apologies here! We are merely onlookers outside the window of your craft shop. Take care of business as you see fit, and fill us in as you see fit, when it suits you!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old June 3rd, 2015, 10:29 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Well, in the mean time, I was just notified about another article being published. However, I have to disclose that I was not consulted on this one.

Homeland Security to return seized Land Rover Defenders to U.S. buyers | Hemmings Daily

--

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old June 4th, 2015, 06:31 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Saw that one yesterday. Funny how quickly the public tone changed toward Aaron from a man who imported only illegal land rovers, to a man with a passion for British SUV's and a head for business.
Old June 4th, 2015, 06:45 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Aaron....

Whatever happened to him....
Old June 4th, 2015, 06:50 AM
xjahx
JAH
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Aaron....

Whatever happened to him....

I was thinking of "doctor" Aaron as well:

-State / Fed level: likely a case pending or actively progressing based on the information leading to these seizures.

-Civil: These 40 individuals have endured financial and psychological harm over the course of the past year secondary to a case that was based on the wrong doings of one said individual. I would be surprised if 1 out of 40 at a minimum did not file a civil suit against Aaron.
Old June 4th, 2015, 06:56 AM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjahx View Post
i would be surprised if 1 out of 40 at a minimum did not file a civil suit against aaron.

Name:   image.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  15.2 KB
Old June 4th, 2015, 07:15 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjahx View Post
I was thinking of "doctor" Aaron as well:

-State / Fed level: likely a case pending or actively progressing based on the information leading to these seizures.

-Civil: These 40 individuals have endured financial and psychological harm over the course of the past year secondary to an investigation that was based on the suspected wrong doings of one said individual. I would be surprised if 1 out of 40 at a minimum did not file a civil suit against Aaron.
fixed it for you.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old June 4th, 2015, 07:54 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
...passion for British SUV's and a head for business.
Maybe...

Very skilled at making people feel comfortable with a purchase from him and misleading buyers on what they were getting. That, or he was completely clueless as to how certain things are supposed to operate on vehicles he sold and trusted his shop workers too much at their word of what the exact condition of vehicles he was selling. I know some people enjoyed hanging out with him and wheeling with him. I feel bad because I don't think most people that had bad deals/interactions with him were buying things with completely disposable income. I think most buyers were spending dream savings to get trucks they had wanted their whole life.

Glad the vehicles in this situation came back. I'm interested to see how the things taken from the initial shop raid will pan out and whatever investigation is or isn't on-going. Or how this ended up...
Old June 4th, 2015, 07:58 AM
xjahx
JAH
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
fixed it for you.
Yes, correct. I appreciate the correction. The case spoke volumes more about civil forfeiture on a shoddy case than the practices of Aaron; the conclusion does not absolve Aaron from either civil and/or continued state prosecution.

The burden needed to bring and even "win" a civil suit is negligible or at least much less than was needed in this state/fed case. Time will tell.

How many 300tdi passed through his import and retail sales businesses? We will never know, but it was far from 0.
Old June 4th, 2015, 08:08 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
Well, in the mean time, I was just notified about another article being published. However, I have to disclose that I was not consulted on this one.

Homeland Security to return seized Land Rover Defenders to U.S. buyers | Hemmings Daily

--
Inaccurate,got to wonder where journalists get their hubris.

Some of the comments are so out there....

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old June 4th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Inaccurate,got to wonder where journalists get their hubris.

Some of the comments are so out there....
At least that Doug C guy cited the real Mercedes Benz gray market issue...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu