They posted a link to this thread.
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2014, 06:10 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Oh my God...they ALSO got the snails today!
http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-me...-giant-african

The horror...the horror.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 15th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I think a whole heap of 110's just went into hiding today... If they didn't get them today I think their job just got a hell of a lot harder..
Agreed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Gas_Donkey
Julian
D110 Series 3 & Santana 2500

Registry
Hi all, I found out about this due to a Facebook post. I am very sorry to hear about your snatched land Rovers!
This is bad news once again for the industry. If this sort of thing carries on it will tar the small people like myself with the same brush. However I really do believe that someone with a modicum of common sense should be able to tell say a 2000 model from an 84!
This is also just greed on the part of some less scrupulous sellers on the side of UK where the ringing as we brits call it must have took place in order to get the cars into the US. I now see the reason for buying through a bonded importer. I had this dealer guy latch onto me when I was selling a ca. He was trying to get me to go through him as he had the bonded thing. Although he was trying to charge a $2500 fee to my customer for the privilege! I soon saw though that though!
I am a small seller in Spain and strictly deal only with 25+ year cars. I don't have to even consider cheating the system as the cars are so rust free here in Sunny Spain. However this hurts us all where ever we may sell from. This sort of thing will only scare more people off thinking of importing a car.
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:20 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Haven't heard much from ECR today..!!
Nothing going on here but sadness for anyone caught up in this.

It just blows but having seen all kinds of trucks with 1960s VINs on them, and even one recently that was VIN'd as an Austin Gypsy… it just seems like it was bound to happen.

------ Follow up post added July 15th, 2014 07:22 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
They posted a link to this thread.
Yes, we linked this via Facebook in case it could help any owners get out of sight.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:23 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Oh my God...they ALSO got the snails today!
http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-me...-giant-african

The horror...the horror.
lol.. thank you for that laugh Jason...it helped squelch my expletives #!*%!#
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
Nothing going on here but sadness for anyone caught up in this.

It just blows but having seen all kinds of trucks with 1960s VINs on them, and even one recently that was VIN's as an Austin Gypsy… it just seems like it was bound to happen.
I get that, but weren't the majority of Aaron's imports 80's Defenders with a new paint job and whatever motor the brits decided to put in? I didn't think he was big into blatant VIN swaps as you describe.
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'93 NAS110 #436
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Isn't that Kent's avatar?
no it was a cooler graphic. I'd post a pic, but I am far away from home...

Semper Fi!
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
I get that, but weren't the majority of Aaron's imports 80's Defenders with a new paint job and whatever motor the brits decided to put in? I didn't think he was big into blatant VIN swaps as you describe.
The one that I looked at, a "1985", had an OBD port and a new VIN tag...
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:29 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
The one that I looked at, a "1985", had an OBD port and a new VIN tag...
If that's the case club fed is in somebodies future.
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:30 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
I have no idea. I don't think we have ever seen one of the Rovers Out East/Aaron trucks here at the shop. If we have it would only been 1 or 2. I don't know what he did. Our only contact with him was we sold him some used LHD parts a couple of times.
We have a completely different client bases. My comment is in general, that something was going to snap, I have no specifics on Aaron.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
I have no idea. I don't think we have ever seen one of the Rovers Out East/Aaron trucks here at the shop. If we have it would only been 1 or 2. I don't know what he did. Our only contact with him was we sold him some used LHD parts a couple of times.
We have a completely different client bases. My comment is in general, that something was going to snap, I have no specifics on Aaron.
Gotcha. The seizures seem to be Aaron based, but there has been a lot of shady stuff imported, so I definitely agree with you there.
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:36 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Let's face it... At the time most of this was starting to go on with bringing in defenders we all had no idea that homeland security was going to have such a hard-on for protecting the average US citizen from this threat to homeland security..protecting us (the unsuspecting public) from these dangerous vehicles..I am sure some liberties were taken and some grey areas painted over... Not that I am defending what happened but hindsight is 20/20 and it is only since this proverbial poop started hitting the fan a year or so ago that it has snowballed to the extent it has.. I am sure that if whoever was taking liberties with importing these vehicle then had known what is happening now that they would not have done it..
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
If that's the case club fed is in somebodies future.
It is not me. I saw that crap and walked away. Well, that and everything else made me walk away. Took the money and bought my BJ60.
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:42 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

10 pages in one day... That's gotta be a record..!!!
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
July 15, 2014.....a day that will live in infamy.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landie View Post
Read carefully for what I have written. You could call a 1984-1990 90/110/127 a Defender because they are identical in many ways but in reality they are a "IIIa" but not.

Many here would call say a 1985 ninety a defender because the front is the same as is the body and (most) of the interior and most now run a TDI.

But the TDI was also released in 1989/90 for the Discovery and the lump was installed in the new "Defender" range 200 1990-94 and 300 1994-1998.

Be careful and feel free to ask me about anything. But remember the vehicles are so interchangeable many people legally updated or used the closest parts they could find.
Thanks for your infinite wisdom. Because we are 3000 plus miles away we weren't TOTALLY aware of every thing you are pontificating about. Being ignorant Americans we totally understand your need to pontificate. Pissing on this thread over these owners choice of nomenclature is/was a poorly chosen choice of a way to introduce yourself.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old July 15th, 2014, 06:50 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
It is not me. I saw that crap and walked away. Well, that and everything else made me walk away. Took the money and bought my BJ60.
I hear ya. It's the swapper not the swapee of the VIN(s) that committed the crime. The purchaser is the victim and will ultimately become the creditor when the swapper files for bankruptcy. This entire situation sucks for all the victims involved and for all the legit importers that will have to earn a living while this cloud hangs overhead.
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalker View Post
and the forced settlement to the gun collector noted above
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...351_story.html
Yep, btw was in the garage with your coil sprung build in central SC last week.

------ Follow up post added July 15th, 2014 08:00 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
That was not theirs, it was for sale by a forum member who shall remain nameless, and was there to be sold on consignment. In fact, I believe that 130 was originally imported by another forum member who shall also remain nameless, who has an very good reputation for his rover importing...
Yeah- already outed myself in the thread about that theft.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old July 15th, 2014, 07:04 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
This was just posted on a thread on Expo. This guy was lucky. Or knew something was coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread on expedition portal
DHS knocked on my door @ 9am looking for our '84 110. Luckily, I hauled it out of state, just last weekend to be used elsewhere, on a now undisclosed location. They asked us for the address of the location we took it to. We told them we didn't know the address. Which we didn't. It was a piece of property that the family recently purchased. Odd that they didn't even ask to look in our garage. They left us their business cards and asked us to call when we had the address. The oil stains, from it marking it's territory were fresh.

After they left, empty handed, I spoke with my Wife's Aunt who is an attorney. She looked into the situation and she found that DHS was also seizing imported G Wagons. One of the lawyers, who owns a G, where she works with was affected. She also advised us to not answer any further questions from DHS, but to have those questions directed toward our legal counsel, aka Her. So, for now it's hunkered down under lock and key and we will see where this goes from here. There were no further attempts to contact us from DHS, so far today. I think they know their opportunity to collect the "easy" ones is done and gone. Maybe they will be deterred to pursue any other 110's.

The journey is the destination.

1972 SERIES III, 1984 DEFENDER 110 RHD, 2003 MKIII RANGE, 2009 DISCOVERY 3 HSE, 2012 BMW F800 GS TROPHY

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ecu