Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 26th, 2009, 09:39 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Home Shop/Garage

I did a search in the Forum and didn't see this covered at all. What do you use as a shop at home? What features did you put in yours that are really cool or usefull? What do you use for parts storage oil containment?

I thought I would see what has been done by others. I have a 2 car garage with an 8' overhead door and 9' inside clearence that is a clean slate to fix up as I want as a home shop.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2009, 09:49 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Your clearance shoots a lift right in the butt. That is my dream...a lift.
Old February 26th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

My father just finished putting an extension on his shop and did some neat stuff -- the most clever feature he put in, though, was in-wall fluorescent lighting encircling one bay that has a lift in it. The lights are about 6' up the wall and really help diminish shadows especially under the lift. He does concours restorations (going to Pebble Beach this year!) so his needs are slightly different than your average Rover owners, but it's a neat feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2009, 10:01 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Your clearance shoots a lift right in the butt. That is my dream...a lift.
It does but I have lifts at work for the BIG jobs. Clearence for a lift will be a must have at the next house.
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 26th, 2009, 11:58 AM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Insulate it like it's a bedroom, so you can keep it warm all the time, like an extension of the house. Build a shed outside for parts storage and put your air compressor in it so it does not drive you insane, plumb the shop all the way around with hardline and air fittings, as well run electrical boxes all the way around, 2 outlets every 4 feet should be enough, with a few 220V outlets. If it's in the budget get a pony panel installed so when a breaker trips you don't have to go walking through the house to the basement. Lights are a big deal, more is mo bettah, enough so that it look like a tanning bed. Put everything in the shop on wheels so you can move/reposition everything. A double car is a little small for a real working shop but if you are smart you can make it work quite well.

Congrads dude, when it's set up have a garage warming party!

Old February 26th, 2009, 12:08 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

26 x 36 2 story detached shop, the lower ceiling is 10ft and I use the entire upstairs (8ft ceilings) for storing parts and products.

Best additions

Modine Hot Dawg heater

Fully insulated and dry walled (insulated garage doors as well)

2 Air reels that reach the entire shop and the concrete pad out side

2 Electrical reels that reach the entire shop and the concrete pad out side

Air outlets on all walls ran with copper pipe inside the walls

220 service on all walls

Enough lighting to blind someone wearing a pair of welding goggles

Wish list for future shops

Radiant floor heating
Taller ceilings so I can install a lift
10ft or 12ft garage doors (only have 8 ft now)
More space more space more space
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:11 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have an unlighted, unheated box. But it is a big box.
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
My shop is 12.5' x 70' with infinite ceiling height. Solar heating, partial concrete floor, lots of natural light. 7' x 7' shed for storage. 220 and 110 outlets located at one end. Cut down the shade tree a few years ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:52 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brn24whl
I did a search in the Forum and didn't see this covered at all. What do you use as a shop at home? What features did you put in yours that are really cool or usefull? What do you use for parts storage oil containment?

I thought I would see what has been done by others. I have a 2 car garage with an 8' overhead door and 9' inside clearence that is a clean slate to fix up as I want as a home shop.

Eric
How much time you got? Drop in over on the Garage Journal Forums , endless supply of ideas....

my self, I'm just lucky the 90 gets four walls, a roof and a door (and it's only a 7' door that kisses the top every time I move the truck in or out, so I am already jealous.. LOL!)

Old February 26th, 2009, 01:39 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
I've got a 3 bay shop w/ full flourescent lighting, shop air (in progress), 110V & 220V. Planning to put another storage building behind it, and kicking around the idea of a tastefully done car-port extension off the side.
Old February 26th, 2009, 02:05 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Lucky.

I have an outside parking spot in Queens, which I pay $125 for (a real deal, trust me!). I am about 6 inches away from 2 other strangers' cars. Lucky for me I am in the corner next to 2 concrete walls. It sucks when something breaks on it in the winter and I need to fix it. I have an endless supply of Carhartts and insulated coveralls in the truck for the occasion. There are two cats in the neighborhood that like to jump on the roof rack from the building behind me. They also like to shit on the ground next to my truck.

The one thing I have done to keep people away from the truck is to leave it all muddy after wheeling it. Nobody wants to touch it then.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old February 26th, 2009, 02:45 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner
Insulate it like it's a bedroom, so you can keep it warm all the time,

If it's in the budget get a pony panel installed so when a breaker trips you don't have to go walking through the house to the basement.

Congrads dude, when it's set up have a garage warming party!

Hey I plan on insulating it but hopefully I can avoid it being my bedroom

I have a bunch of pony panels since my house had a 40 amp service and 3 pony panels before I rewired it. It WILL have it's own breaker box 110 and 220 outlets are a must.

Garage warming party is a great idea.
Direct Line 518-539-2231

Old February 26th, 2009, 03:00 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
Lucky.
You saw my previous arrangement so I consider myself lucky indeed.
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:09 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
You saw my previous arrangement so I consider myself lucky indeed.
very true! you did have a lot of dog poop in the backyard. I remember stepping in a good deal of it that night.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:47 PM
evilfij
evilfij

It would have been easy to avoid had you shown up during at time other than 1am
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:00 PM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

find a good place for a beer fridge and hang a tv from the ceiling that plays Speed Vision 24/7.
should be set.
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:28 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB16
find a good place for a beer fridge and hang a tv from the ceiling that plays Speed Vision 24/7.
should be set.
Oh that will be saved for "man town" as my wife calls it. It's a basement room 18x30 with bar, TV and sliding doors out to a covered patio. She has plans.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

Old February 26th, 2009, 07:44 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
I did a search in the Forum and didn't see this covered at all. What do you use as a shop at home? What features did you put in yours that are really cool or usefull? Eric
Garage doors at both ends for air circulation / natural light and a dedicated swamp cooler just for the shop. (House is in the desert, so cooling, rather than heating is my challenge...)

One thing that might be handy for cold climates would be an exhaust hose with evacuation fan plumbed to exit outside the garage that you clamp to your tailpipe so you could run your truck indoors with garage door closed.
Old February 26th, 2009, 10:04 PM
black diesel
Kyle Caskey

Quote:
Some useful things I did were the aforementioned air hoses, LED work lights and power cords all coming down from the ceiling on self retracting reels. Not having to deal with tangles cords and hoses makes working on anything much more pleasant. Lots of light is an obvious one.

If you have much room to deal with buy at least one rolling cart to put your parts and tools on so they're not on the floor or on the vehicle. If you have a big tool box consider getting a smaller tool cart with your basic tools to roll to the jobs.

Steck makes a handy rolling step platform for getting under the hoods of taller vehicles.

A sturdy workbench preferrably anchored to the wall with a big vise on it is always a necessity.

For parts storage I have a couple 10' tall pallet racks with 3 shelves each and some smaller shelving units from sam's. For around $100 sam's has a wire shelving unit with pull out plastic bins that's well worth the money. If you're doing an involved disassembly they're great for keeping fasteners and parts organized for reassembly.
Old February 27th, 2009, 08:32 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
My shop is 12.5' x 70' with infinite ceiling height. Solar heating, partial concrete floor, lots of natural light. 7' x 7' shed for storage. 220 and 110 outlets located at one end. Cut down the shade tree a few years ago...
Don't forget its cold in winter hot and humid in summer and the automatic overhead sprinklers on rainy days.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat