home-made rock sliders - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 6th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

home-made rock sliders

Just wanted to get some input from you guys on the construction of rocksliders. I have started building them already, but haven't welded anything yet, until I get you guys' approval . I am using 2" x 3" 3/16" wall tubing for the main part of the slider. It seems to me that most sliders I have seen are 1-1/2" x 3" tubing, but I want mine to stick out a little further. I am making a bracket out of 1/4" plate that will attach a 1-5/8" OD pipe to the rock slider at the rear, which will slide into the tubular outrigger on the chassis. I will probably weld a short piece of solid bar into the end of the pipe, and then tap it for a bolt. I will use a grade 8 bolt and homemade washer to keep the pipe from sliding out of the outrigger. On the front, I plan on using 3" x 3" angle, 1/4" thick, on the front and back of where the bulkhead attaches to the chassis. The angle will be braced with some 1/4" plate back to the slider. The bolt that attaches the bulkhead to chassis will run through both pieces of angle. Also, I plan on running a 2" piece of flat bar (3/16") down the back side of the rock slider, just to strengthen them up a little bit. Sorry I don't have pics, and sorry if what I just typed isn't coherent, been some long days and nights at work. Any comments are appreciated, as I don't want to put these things together and not have them hold up.

Thanks again.

chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2004, 06:56 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Chris, I will be doing something similar but, I an using 2 1/2x2 1/2 square tube... Is 1 5/8 the proper size of tube? I thought it was bigger?

Randy
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Randy, I measuered the inside of the tubular outrigger on my truck. Came out to be 1.73". The 1-3/4" OD pipe was too big to fit. Yeah, you could probably drive it in, but you would never get it out. The pipe I am using is about 1.625", and by time you put a little copper grease on it, it should feel that very small gap nicely. Someone else may have thoughts on this. The 1-5/8" pipe would probably work better on your truck, as it has been galvanized, and the ID of your outrigger is probably a little smaller than mine ( I am working on my SW, which has not been galvanized).

Chris
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2004, 09:43 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Chris,

No need to use a washer and bolt on the back side of the frame. That is how I did it before I changed to the following design.

http://www.slickrockfabrication.com/chu90.htm

In the 5th pic down you will notice how I now use a bolt that holds the slider in place rather than using a washer and bolt on the rear of the frame. I feel that this is better because it allows dirt and water to drain out of the tube where a washer would hold it in

One other important item that you should also consider is adding a brace to the front mount as seen in the 4th pic down. If you do not add a brace like the one seen in the pic you run a chance of having the slider rotate into front fender.
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:01 AM
mudrover
Peter Miller
1990 RR
D-90 Source Vendor

Ok, this is somewhat relevent...I built some sliders for my RR, but the idea could be used for the D90. Simple take some tube or square stock. I used some 2" square stock, 1/4" thickness, which had lying around. Weld 2 outriggers that will go to the frame. Weld plates onto those outriggers and weld to the frame. Cheap easy simple. Took me a couple of hours. Here are some pics, let me know if you want more.

Randy, I have about 15' of 2.5" x 2.5", 1/4" wall square if you need it. I paid 6.19 a foot for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0714.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	621  

Rigless for now
1999.5 CC PSD - Tow Bus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If it looks like it works and it feels like it works...Then it works
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:02 AM
mudrover
Peter Miller
1990 RR
D-90 Source Vendor

Peeerdy welds:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0715.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	622  

Rigless for now
1999.5 CC PSD - Tow Bus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 7th, 2004, 12:52 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
thanks pete. i will call you. Where can a get a few feet of the tubing? Chris, any ideas?

Randy
Old May 7th, 2004, 01:57 PM
mudrover
Peter Miller
1990 RR
D-90 Source Vendor

The place I use, Tioga Pipe, only sells stick 20' feet at a time...I also have 1.75" .120 DOM if you need it .

Rigless for now
1999.5 CC PSD - Tow Bus

Old May 7th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Just call any local welding shop. They usually have all kinds of steel laying around that they will cut to length for you. That is a good idea about mounting the front to the frame horn, rather than just the big bolt.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
slide